• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Potential merging of DC and Marvel characters?!
2 2

103 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

When some people read this they will see your choice of words and think. tenor-16.gif.804cadbaf9ccef3763c79e4d87f2ae99.gif

I can choose what I want she said!!  :makepoint:

1 hour ago, Arkham said:

I'd contest the statement that it has been a failure. I think we're yet to see the fruit.

Apple has invested $6B in creation of original content for Apple TV+ and it's mostly still in dev. I am going to use Foundation as a benchmark for the service. I've seen a few doco's and a couple of shows recently that were pretty good quality. I have to admit that Ted Lasso was one of the best shows I've seen. So damn heartwarming. 

Hard to compare Apple TV+ to other services who have stocked their backlog with non-original content... On an Apples-to-Apples (ha) comparison of original content from Netflix and Amazon to Apple TV+, then Apple are definitely coming in last place right now... No contest to that - I just think they haven't hit their stride yet. 

(Edit: I should note - I got a year for free from buying an iPad - so I'm not biased due to a subscription spend to support the service).

If you are not getting it free through a purchase, chances are you are not getting it. I am really ticked off because we bought two iphone 11s last year and somehow this was not included. I am not saying it is bad, i am sure it is great one of my closest friends is a writer on one of their shows), but i am not paying for it. It is the distribution method that is a failure.

47 minutes ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

I would bet Disney. Did apple amazon netflix end up with Fox or Star wars? 

first off, star wars was bought eons ago before either was the powrhouse they are now and Fox, at least due to x-men, etc., was worth more to disney than other companies. what does disney need another super hero universe for? 

9 hours ago, HotKey said:

Avengers vs Justice League?

It may not be so far fetched...

Marvel and DC might exist under the same umbrella

Can you imagine if this actually happens? All the "I don't like DC" Marvel snobs will suddenly become fans of the formerly DC characters lol 

47 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

They haven't sucked since the 1990's.

I actually like the contrast between Marvel and DC films, and disagree strongly with the vitriolic criticism against Zack Snyder, a very talented filmmaker.  I'm not that keen on seeing a merger which risks homogenising the product still further.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:

I actually like the contrast between Marvel and DC films, and disagree strongly with the vitriolic criticism against Zack Snyder, a very talented filmmaker.  I'm not that keen on seeing a merger which risks homogenising the product still further.

Not just Snyder, but the Nolan films, and other Worlds of DC movies (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, SHAZAM) have been good-to-great.

2 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

Can you imagine if this actually happens? All the "I don't like DC" Marvel snobs will suddenly become fans of the formerly DC characters lol 

This Marvel snob has been rooting for DC to get their media properties right. I'd love to learn more about their stable of characters and figure out if any are worth me digging into more besides Batman who I know I like and already collect.

I don't think, or at least I hope, these properties truly blend into one shared universe but I wouldn't mind seeing DC/Marvel crossovers again. And getting a DC/Marvel crossover in a film would of course be epic as hell.

But there is some risk here for fans too. I think DC would release more titles under Disney as Marvel has been lately but would the properties be forever bundled going forward? What happens when people pull back a bit on all these superfilms as they inevitably will? What if they're both sold to a company that is very invested in taking them digital only? While I would like to see DC invested in more on the print/publishing side by whatever parent they end up under ultimately, whether they move or not, I don't think Marvel and DC being under the same roof would be ideal for fans. I think that's too much consolidation of important characters. 

3 minutes ago, BoogieWoogie said:

This Marvel snob has been rooting for DC to get their media properties right. I'd love to learn more about their stable of characters and figure out if any are worth me digging into more besides Batman who I know I like and already collect.

You can learn all you want about DC characters right now. They've been publishing comic books for decades. :baiting:

13 minutes ago, Jeffro. said:

You can learn all you want about DC characters right now. They've been publishing comic books for decades. :baiting:

My reading backlog is crazy enough as it is. I need a lower investment entry point if I'm getting more into buying more damn comics lol 

E: I am pretty crazy about Yara Flor. My Batman collecting hasn't pulled me into any crossover events but if Yara is in one I miiiiiight dabble.

Edited by BoogieWoogie

6 hours ago, kav said:

I stopped watching star wars after princess leia floated thru space like Mary Poppins.  It was dud after dud and i kept thinking the next one would be good but nope.  Poppins was the last straw.

All the recent SW stuff has been awful! except for Mando, most of that was cool.

They wasted great opportunities with the OG even if they were going to use some new characters! 

In truth, I think SW has  held its hat mostly upon ESB and ANH. ROTJ was pretty bad, but it looks like citizen kane, compared  to the Prequels and sequels!

I have zero desire to see the DC characters interact with the Marvel characters. Maybe even less than zero. Negative 5000 desire. 

Marvel has decades worth of great source material and characters to be used in the MCU. Trying to work in DC guys and gals would be unnecessarily mucking that up. I would pay money to prevent this from happening. At least tens of dollars. 🤑