• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HAMMER IS LAUGHING AT YOU GUYS

47 posts in this topic

Tell Hammer to come over here and say that so we can roast his [embarrassing lack of self control]. If he is so bad [embarrassing lack of self control] lets see him post with his real name and take private off of his ebay status. Actually I think I might save up some money and bid on one of his 9.8's and get it graded and when it comes back restored sue him and expose who he really is so the state of new york can arrest him again. and while we are on the subject how about arrest Ewert too and put them in a cell together. That would be justice.

Tell Hammer to come over here and say that so we can roast his [embarrassing lack of self control]. If he is so bad [embarrassing lack of self control] lets see him post with his real name and take private off of his ebay status. Actually I think I might save up some money and bid on one of his 9.8's and get it graded and when it comes back restored sue him and expose who he really is so the state of new york can arrest him again. and while we are on the subject how about arrest Ewert too and put them in a cell together. That would be justice.

I know I'm stating the obvious here, but there is one minor technicality to the scenario of letting Hammer come on here and defend himself... he's been banned from these boards. gossip.gif

Also, overlays only work for ANY type of comparison, if the IMAGE is scaled INDENTICALLY. If the entire image is slightly larger or slightly smaller than the image for comparison, trying to determine relative size is IMPOSSIBLE.

WTF!! Bah ha ha!screwy.gif

I don't think Hammer quite understands Photoshop and overlays yet! 27_laughing.gif

I would think he would have a little more knowledge considering the well documented use of Photoshop on his books.

But regarding the book. If Hammer isn't worried about the extreme "smallness" of his book why does he bring this up? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hammer Just needs to go away as does ewert They give the hobby a bad name and screw it up for the rest of us. Maybe we should organize a midnight lynching. Maybe trim them so they understand the pain.

I agree, it is not mistake he has been banned from CPG forums and CGC Forums.

Personally I don't know why anyone would host him. He can't be good for anything.

Hammer Just needs to go away as does ewert They give the hobby a bad name and screw it up for the rest of us. Maybe we should organize a midnight lynching. Maybe trim them so they understand the pain.

I agree, it is not mistake he has been banned from CPG forums and CGC Forums.

Personally I don't know why anyone would host him. He can't be good for anything.

Where there's a criminal there is always some dumbazz willing to harbor him.

Also, overlays only work for ANY type of comparison, if the IMAGE is scaled INDENTICALLY. If the entire image is slightly larger or slightly smaller than the image for comparison, trying to determine relative size is IMPOSSIBLE.

I don't think Hammer quite understands Photoshop and overlays yet! 27_laughing.gif

I would think he would have a little more knowlegde considering the well documented use of Photoshop on his books.

But regarding the book. If Hammer isn't worried about the extreme "smallness" of his book why does he bring this up? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I see how it would appear logical for overlays to allow someone to compare a "before" and "after" scan of something that may have been trimmed. The thing is that there is some element of logic in what Hammer says as well.

When you take a scan of an image at say 150 dpi, and one at say 300 or 600 dpi, there will be a significant difference in the image being rendered on your screen.

The issue of quality is even more pronounced when we look at the aspect of post-scan work where a raw 6-10MB 300 dpi scanned image is compressed for remote viewing either by way of electronic mail distribution or for the web. All of a sudden, a 300 dpi scan which was originally 8 MB is compressed down to a 72 dpi scan that depending on file format choices (ie. gif or jpg) could drop the file size down to under 100K

And then we have the issues of images being crudely optimized, where the images dimensions are constrained improperly (preserving no aspect ratio), or using an image compression filter designed to optimize image quality for quick downloads. These two aspects alone spell out certain disaster, and IMO do not make for the type of images suitable for comparing dimensions, before or after scans or comparing manufactured trims vs post-production trim jobs.

We are assuming that during the process from raw to slab that all the people holding the book will adhere to some standard or specification for scanning their books whether that be for resell or public display.

I don't want to get stuck on the technical aspect so much, nor do I want to advance this opinion as a defense for Hammer. But rather, I do want to illustrate that the point he makes about reliance on photo-imaging as a technique to detect trimming actually has some merit, as it does seem like we've taken one step backwards on the issue of detecting trim by using what I consider to be a rather hit-and-miss approach. It is also worth mentioning the problems with photo-manipulation that could come in the way of preventing someone from doing a proper analysis due to the possibiliy of tampered scans.

I would think he would have a little more knowlegde considering the well documented use of Photoshop on his books.

I see how it would appear logical for overlays to allow someone to compare a "before" and "after" scan of something that may have been trimmed. The thing is that there is some element of logic in what Hammer says as well.

When you take a scan of an image at say 150 dpi, and one at say 300 or 600 dpi, there will be a significant difference in the image being rendered on your screen.

The issue of quality is even more pronounced when we look at the aspect of post-scan work where a raw 6-10MB 300 dpi scanned image is compressed for remote viewing either by way of electronic mail distribution or for the web. All of a sudden, a 300 dpi scan which was originally 8 MB is compressed down to a 72 dpi scan that depending on file format choices (ie. gif or jpg) could drop the file size down to under 100K

And then we have the issues of images being crudely optimized, where the images dimensions are constrained improperly (preserving no aspect ratio), or using an image compression filter designed to optimize image quality for quick downloads. These two aspects alone spell out certain disaster, and IMO do not make for the type of images suitable for comparing dimensions, before or after scans or comparing manufactured trims vs post-production trim jobs.

We are assuming that during the process from raw to slab that all the people holding the book will adhere to some standard or specification for scanning their books whether that be for resell or public display.

I don't want to get stuck on the technical aspect so much, nor do I want to advance this opinion as a defense for Hammer. But rather, I do want to illustrate that the point he makes about reliance on photo-imaging as a technique to detect trimming actually has some merit, as it does seem like we've taken one step backwards on the issue of detecting trim by using what I consider to be a rather hit-and-miss approach. It is also worth mentioning the problems with photo-manipulation that could come in the way of preventing someone from doing a proper analysis due to the possibiliy of tampered scans.

Sure some of it depends on the original quality of the elements given, (especially if your getting very low quality images). But its PURE nonsense to say that its impossible to line up and do overlays of two comics. If I have a comic scaned at 150 and 1 scaned at 300 DPI I dont see any real problem lining up the artwork on those. The better the quality the easier it is. I get different elements all the time at work in different dpi's. Its not even remotely the impossible task Hammer makes it out to be.

That said many books were printed at various sizes, but what makes Hammers book notable is the extreme lack of image on both top and bottom of the artwork. Certainlly this isn't a fool proof method nor does this prove Hammer book is undoubtable trimmed....but Hammers book IS interesting. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HAMMER IS LAUGHING AT YOU GUYS

"You Guys"???

Gee, Krazy, whose side are you on, anyway??

Considering everyone has been a to me and never apologized about having WRONGLY second guessed my collection,..I am on my own side.