• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OFF TOPIC.....archival materials for photos/autographs

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I am looking for a little help on this one and I figured with the level of knowledge on here, someone would be able to give some advice.

My dad collected vintage baseball cards avidly during the early 90s and, while at shows, he would get the players appearing there to sign a photo of themselves. He amassed quite a collection of well over 50 HOF players including Mantle, DiMaggio, Banks, Williams, ect. Anyway, I was flipping through them today (he keeps them in craapy plastic photo pages in a binder, and I noticed that the inks had started to bind with the protective materials. Obviously I want to prevent this collection from deteriorating further. Does anyone know of archival materials for autographed photos? Anyone have any advice? I can post scans if needed. Thanks in advance.

Couldn't you use the Mylite2s and Fullback as well for this?

I am not sure, but I have considered this. Would the sharpie inks eventually bind with the Mylites? I would also prefer archival materials that could be put into a binder, so the photos could be flipped through.

Well, JP uses CGC to archive all his photos. So CGC does use something for archival purposes.

JP also has a special binder that the CGC photos can be put into.

I would call Borock and ask him.

Well, JP uses CGC to archive all his photos. So CGC does use something for archival purposes.

JP also has a special binder that the CGC photos can be put into.

I would call Borock and ask him.

Really? Thanks for the tip, I will do that. thumbsup2.gif

October -

I have thousands of signed photos in my collection. The more valuable ($100+) signed photos I store in a safe in a mylar sleeve sized for 8x10s.

But, there is no need to buy [very expensive] mylar sleeves for mass quantities of photos. Unlike comics which are made of cheap newsprint, photos do not "self destruct" -- and when properly stored in a dark place -- will last much longer than anyone here.

The vast majority of my SPs are in binder sleeves and have been for over 10 years with no damage. Like comic bags, the key is buying the right sleeves. There are cheap binder sleeves made of soft, acidic plastic that yellows and adheres to the ink in a signature and will lift it right off the surface of the photo. So, buy sleeves that say "archival" or "no PVC" and they will not harm the photo or the signature.

I use the AVERY archival safe/acid free binder sleeves that you can buy in any office supply store in 50 packs, or I use UltraPro binder sleeves (which are all good - no PVC.)

Almost any baseball card shop carries UltraPro, and they can be found online on numerous sites.

BTW, if you want mylar sleeves for photos, only the super golden age size comic sleeves will safely fit an 8x10.

Light Impressions sells mylars sized for 8x10 and 11x14 photos, but they are expensive... much more so than comic mylars. Must be that they don't make them in the quantity that they do for comics, thus the cost per unit is much more. confused-smiley-013.gif

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com

I sent Steve a PM. That kind of page is exactly what I am looking for, assuming that they won't harm the autograph inks. Thanks for your help, it's appreciated. thumbsup2.gif

Hey Andy,

Here is a link to Conservation Resources' online catalog. They have everything you could ever need to store almost any paper-based collectible there is.

Conservation Resources online catalog.

Thanks Zip and FFB. thumbsup2.gif This collection is pretty important to me, as I don't EVER plan on selling it after I inherit it. Between those two sites, and my future conversation with Steve, I think I should have it covered. Thanks much!