• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - TMNT #1 Printing #5
1 1

5 posts in this topic

OK, as in my other humble asks.  i am trying to figure out the new (to me, look at my screen name, it's pretty accurate) grading system that is used. I have comics from my younger years that i would like to slab (and for many put up on MY wall, that's the one the wife lets me have).  but some i hope to sell to pay for the slabbing.  any help in educating me is appreciated.  thank you.

Tur1 1.jpg

Tur1 2.jpg

Tur1 3.jpg

Tur1 4.jpg

Tur1 5.jpg

Tur1 6.jpg

CGC uses a grading scale that runs from NG to 10.  NG is used when there is a major defect with the book (think missing cover, or just submitting a single page for grading). Similarly is VERY rare, if not impossible, for old books (much more common in new printings).  The book is perfect, no flaws whatsoever.  It's also somewhat "in the eye of the grader" there's no specific way to screen for a 10, you just luck out.  Then for every grade from NG to 9 go in .5 increments (so 0.5, 1, 1.5 etc.)  Then when you hit 9 it goes 9, 9.2, 9.4,9.6,9.8, and 9.9.  Basically to distinguish between the best of the bests.  It's really hard for a new grader to distinguish between a 9.2 and a 9.8/9.9, it's basically a skill you gain from lots of submissions.  The trick to grading is to start by looking at the spine.  Do you see any color loss?  if so that will downgrade the grade.  Then look at the staples.  Are they tight, in tact, any damage around the staple area?  any rust? If yes to any of those, further downgrade.  Then check all the corners.  Are they sharp?  Good, if they're blunted that's a further downgrade.  Then look carefully for indents and creases.  The more they are, the further the downgrade.  Do they break color?  if so, further downgrade.  Count up all the defects, the more you have, the lower the grade will be.  Here, take a look at my Yellow label (means that CGC watched the signor sign the book and can guarantee the signature is authentic.)  Both spine corners are a bit blunted.  There is a soft, non color breaking indent on the red near Raphael.  Spine has some whiteness and color loss near the top staple. and a non color breaking crease by the top right corner.  The back has several non color breaking indents.  All of this adds up to a 7.5.  It's possible that this could be pressed up to a higher grade, but with the damage on the spine, the best it would press up to is MAYBE a 9.0.  Between the cost and the time, not really worth it, unless the book jumps higher in price.  

For your book, I am seeing some color loss on the spine and both spine corners are blunted.  Also see several indents over by the T in turtles, the T in teenage, and above splinters head.  I would say its an 8.5/9.0.  Nice book!

IMG_4627.jpg