• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to authenticate?

3 posts in this topic

I’m new to collection original comic art pieces. If a piece of work doesn’t have an artist signature, and there’s nothing like an Authentication Certificate with it; how do I know what I’m buying is original and authentic? 

I'm small time as colectors go, and no expert, but here's how I think about it: 

Do some research on the people you're looking to buy from - you can find mounds of threads on message boards and FB groups for pretty much every dealer of note out there, and if they're known for doing anything hinky, you'll read about it quick. 

Also consider the nature of the piece and the price being asked. Most faker/forgers depend on the ignorance (and sometimes greed) of their marks to rip them off, so if something seems like a total grail at a too good to be true price, ask yourself why no other big fish collector has snapped it up yet. 

Be very wary of unpublished pieces labeled as sketches and pinups. These are favorites of fakers. If you're unsure about the legitimacy of a piece, post here and ask. 

Lastly, relax. Most panel page art on the marketplace is legit.

Edited by rlextherobot