• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newsstand vs Direct Edition, At Grader's Discretion??
4 4

86 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

@paqart

For CGC graded books, we have the CGC census, so "copies available per year" for CGC slabs (or a particular CGC grade) might be very close to a percentage of the number on the census.

Fair enough but the number of newsstands in the census is fairly small, and I prefer to find raws and send them in. I have 75 at CGC now, can't wait to get them back.

19 hours ago, paqart said:
21 hours ago, valiantman said:

@paqart

For CGC graded books, we have the CGC census, so "copies available per year" for CGC slabs (or a particular CGC grade) might be very close to a percentage of the number on the census.

Fair enough but the number of newsstands in the census is fairly small, and I prefer to find raws and send them in. I have 75 at CGC now, can't wait to get them back.

Yes, CGC has made it much more complicated for the newsstands that they do not recognize.  It's all estimates, but if a whole year of CGC sales recorded on GPA show about 15% were newsstand for a given grade, it's at least fair to estimate that the CGC Census for that grade could be about 15% newsstand.  The higher the counts, the better, as far as the confidence interval goes.

3 hours ago, valiantman said:

Yes, CGC has made it much more complicated for the newsstands that they do not recognize.  It's all estimates, but if a whole year of CGC sales recorded on GPA show about 15% were newsstand for a given grade, it's at least fair to estimate that the CGC Census for that grade could be about 15% newsstand.  The higher the counts, the better, as far as the confidence interval goes.

Good point

On 5/29/2021 at 11:12 AM, paqart said:

My newsstand Hulk #1's (2008) were very hard to find over the last couple of years but have recently become much more available now that the direct edition is selling for more than $500.

@GarBear Even Newsie McPump here acknowledges that Newsstands have a tendency to show up over time.

On 5/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, valiantman said:

It's all estimates, but if a whole year of CGC sales recorded on GPA show about 15% were newsstand for a given grade

I assume that, since you're still saying stuff like this, you've now confirmed that GPA fully and completely separates the editions in their records? You didn't seem to know last time I asked about it.

5 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:
On 5/30/2021 at 11:42 AM, valiantman said:

It's all estimates, but if a whole year of CGC sales recorded on GPA show about 15% were newsstand for a given grade

I assume that, since you're still saying stuff like this, you've now confirmed that GPA fully and completely separates the editions in their records? You didn't seem to know last time I asked about it.

Yes, they manually separate the newsstand and direct editions for some books - going back to 2018 or 2019.  Using 2020 is one of the best available sources of information.