• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Family #1 CGC - Current Market Value
1 1

63 posts in this topic

My apologies if this is the wrong forum, I am not a frequent poster. I see no recent comps and I have two books I'd like to price fairly. 

I have a CGC 2.5 and CGC 6.0, both unrestored.

Thank you in advance for your guidance.

Joe

On 5/27/2021 at 8:10 PM, TheOldCollector said:

You can google CGC and get the FMV pretty easily. But the 2.5 average is in the 3.2k range and the 6.0 in the 6k range. There is only a few of them showing up being sold so that's going to be hard to figure out though.

The 6.0 is likely worth quite a bit more at this point. This book, as well as Shazam #28, have seen significant rises in value lately. No ones selling.

GPA for a 3.0 is now at $10,000.00 (June 2021)  and the last 2.0 sale in (March 2021) is at $3,800.00. The only reason they aren't already higher is because everyone who has one, has been holding them in anticipation for the upcoming movie. With so few sales, it is a challenge to track what a true FMV would be, given the insufficient sales data. For a 6.0? It would absolutely be tens of thousands now. It is hard to say for sure, but if you let it ride at an auction site such as Comiclink or Heritage, It would do well, without question. 

Edited by Timeless icons

47 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

GPA for a 3.0 is now at $10,000.00 (June 2021)  and the last 2.0 sale in (March 2021) is at $3,800.00. The only reason they aren't already higher is because everyone who has one, has been holding them in anticipation for the upcoming movie. With so few sales, it is a challenge to track what a true FMV would be, given the insufficient sales data. For a 6.0? It would absolutely be tens of thousands now. It is hard to say for sure, but if you let it ride at an auction site such as Comiclink or Heritage, It would do well, without question. 

Wow!

That's a crazy increase over the past year. I have a 5.5 with off-white pages...makes you think!

23 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Wow!

That's a crazy increase over the past year. I have a 5.5 with off-white pages...makes you think!

The next few sales will be interesting to say the least. I sold this 5.5 a few years back. I have an 8.0 in my personal collection right now. Is this by chance, your 5.5? 

Edited by Timeless icons

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

It's gone up, but I'm not convinced that 3.0 isn't an outlier just yet...

I can understand that perspective since it is the only 3.0 or higher, sale in quite a while but on the other hand...

I think there are several factors that make $10k a reasonable price point for a 3.0. As of right now, the census shows there are less copies of Marvel Family 1 in 3.0 or higher (universal copies) than All Star 8. While I'm not comparing the books in terms of relevance, I'm comparing supply. Before Aquaman was announced, a More Fun comics 73 could be had for tens of thousands less in all grades. Once rumors changed into facts, that book took off and low grade copies were in the 10s of thousands in no time. He was considered a joke character for many years and now, that book is incredibly expensive. Black Adam wasn't found in the Golden Age aside from this one book and his next appearance is roughly 32 years later. I don't count Alter Ego # 7 since it was just a fanzine. The idea that we could see Black Adam square off against Shazam (true Capt Marvel :wink:) and Super-Man is appealing to quite a few collectors and it seems that DC has big plans for Black Adam to go from super villain to anti-hero instead. To me, that makes sense since it gives the character room to grow. With most villains, its usually a "one and done" situation, with a few exceptions. If Black Adam becomes an anti-hero, chances are, there will be several movies to follow. Had that 3.0 not had a 1 inch tear from the back cover, I would have been tempted to buy it myself. hm

Once a few start to surface, I think this 10k sale will be considered cheap. 

40 minutes ago, Timeless icons said:

I can understand that perspective since it is the only 3.0 or higher, sale in quite a while but on the other hand...

I think there are several factors that make $10k a reasonable price point for a 3.0. As of right now, the census shows there are less copies of Marvel Family 1 in 3.0 or higher (universal copies) than All Star 8. While I'm not comparing the books in terms of relevance, I'm comparing supply. Before Aquaman was announced, a More Fun comics 73 could be had for tens of thousands less in all grades. Once rumors changed into facts, that book took off and low grade copies were in the 10s of thousands in no time. He was considered a joke character for many years and now, that book is incredibly expensive. Black Adam wasn't found in the Golden Age aside from this one book and his next appearance is roughly 32 years later. I don't count Alter Ego # 7 since it was just a fanzine. The idea that we could see Black Adam square off against Shazam (true Capt Marvel :wink:) and Super-Man is appealing to quite a few collectors and it seems that DC has big plans for Black Adam to go from super villain to anti-hero instead. To me, that makes sense since it gives the character room to grow. With most villains, its usually a "one and done" situation, with a few exceptions. If Black Adam becomes an anti-hero, chances are, there will be several movies to follow. Had that 3.0 not had a 1 inch tear from the back cover, I would have been tempted to buy it myself. hm

I hope you’re right and agree the book has a lot going for it, but I have some personal insight and experience into current FMV and it’s contrary to the 3.0 $10k sale.

However, there’s always the real possibility this sale is the spark for FOMO.

9 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

Well said Mike 

18 minutes ago, comicartfan said:

Well said Mike 

Thanks Mike. When its a single sale, I get the questioning if its actual FMV action or just a one shot deal. I think with the 2.5 5k sale and the last 2.0 3800 sale, im thinking this 3.0 is about right but I guess time will tell. It will definitely be interesting to see where Marvel Family 1 goes from here. 

3 hours ago, Timeless icons said:

Thanks Mike. When its a single sale, I get the questioning if its actual FMV action or just a one shot deal. I think with the 2.5 5k sale and the last 2.0 3800 sale, im thinking this 3.0 is about right but I guess time will tell. It will definitely be interesting to see where Marvel Family 1 goes from here. 

There was also a raw issue with creasing and piece missing on back cover that sold for $8,700 on eBay a month ago at auction. It will be interesting to see what the next copy sells for at auction (49 watchers on a raw goodish copy listed on eBay for $8,500).

1 hour ago, Superman2006 said:

There was also a raw issue with creasing and piece missing on back cover that sold for $8,700 on eBay a month ago at auction. It will be interesting to see what the next copy sells for at auction (49 watchers on a raw goodish copy listed on eBay for $8,500).

Wow.. I didn't see that one. I suspect this will be the norm going forward with this book, which makes sense with all things considered. Well, now its going to have another watcher on that listing. lol

Edited by Timeless icons

I too have been wondering the same, as one of my few "keepers" has been my copy of this book, but I decided that the time has come to sell it once the trailer hits. I do think the book will explode and the $10K for the 3.0 will seem like a bargain within 3-6 months. Why wouldn't it explode? Everything else seems to, but unlike most books from the SA to present that are hitting ridiculous highs, this is truly scarce in comparison, and just that should be enough to fuel a rapid ascent.

Plus, it's the Rock. I'm not a fan per se of his work, but he's a money maker at the box office, and what better way to make the Black Adam character a household name?

Time will tell and I am impatiently awaiting to see what happens.

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

I too have been wondering the same, as one of my few "keepers" has been my copy of this book, but I decided that the time has come to sell it once the trailer hits. I do think the book will explode and the $10K for the 3.0 will seem like a bargain within 3-6 months. Why wouldn't it explode? Everything else seems to, but unlike most books from the SA to present that are hitting ridiculous highs, this is truly scarce in comparison, and just that should be enough to fuel a rapid ascent.

Plus, it's the Rock. I'm not a fan per se of his work, but he's a money maker at the box office, and what better way to make the Black Adam character a household name?

Time will tell and I am impatiently awaiting to see what happens.

Would that by chance, be a 7.5? I agree with the same basic reasoning. It just has so much going for it. 

On 6/19/2021 at 12:32 PM, Timeless icons said:

Would that by chance, be a 7.5? I agree with the same basic reasoning. It just has so much going for it. 

Are you asking if my copy is a 7.5? If so, heck no. Just a measly 2.5, but a VERY nice looking 2.5 that cost me peanuts ages ago. 

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics