• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Postal ink stamped in cover?

28 posts in this topic

Hi, I have a Hulk 345 that has "second class mail" and a second stamp that's difficult to make out, but appears to be delivery instructions from the PO.  Still worth grading?  My first thought is it's a miracle it's in the shape it's in. Pics attached

16222945600421892669119134989201.jpg

16222946088376561394804050379351.jpg

ok.....the most recent raw copy sold (on ebay)  for $35.   The most recent 9.8 sold for $1,275.   The most recent 9.6 sold for $300.  Now, (shocker, I know) people don't usually grade one book at a time.   I do this for fun, not to stop being poor,  as being poor is a choice not a consequence. And any profit can go toward buying silver age keys. Thanks for the help, though :golfclap:

36 minutes ago, optimal_max said:

I noticed no one has actually provided any insight.  Just been rude and/or unhelpful.  Is there something I did to someone or is this how everyone gets treated here?

Will the stamp affect the grade...yes.

One would need full photos of the entire book to determine what the grade of the book is first. If it is a VF condition book, well it could very well stay in VF condition. If it is a 9.6 candidate, well I am afraid the stamp would likely bump it down. Refer to grading standards below. I would argue that your date stamp is NOT in an unobtrusive location, thus it would grade lower. 

VF/NM 9.0 Several lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable.

NM- 9.2 - MT 9.9 - Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location.

1 hour ago, optimal_max said:

I noticed no one has actually provided any insight.  Just been rude and/or unhelpful.  Is there something I did to someone or is this how everyone gets treated here?

Perhaps if you tell us what you want to hear, someone will post it for you.  Otherwise, you just have to take your chances and accept peoples opinions for what they are.

14 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Perhaps if you tell us what you want to hear, someone will post it for you.  Otherwise, you just have to take your chances and accept peoples opinions for what they are.

You're right. The original post was extraordinarily unclear to the point of being surreptitiously vague.  I would like to offer my most profuse apologies, and solemnly vow to be more specific in future queries, should those of lower intelligence not be able to infer its rightful meaning.  I declare Comicginger1789 an absolute GENIUS to be able to wade through the vagaries therein. 

21 minutes ago, optimal_max said:

You're right. The original post was extraordinarily unclear to the point of being surreptitiously vague.  I would like to offer my most profuse apologies, and solemnly vow to be more specific in future queries, should those of lower intelligence not be able to infer its rightful meaning.  I declare Comicginger1789 an absolute GENIUS to be able to wade through the vagaries therein. 

You seem nice. I'm sure you'll do well here.

In an effort to provide actual advice, if you want a grade estimate, the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum is that way. But, as a general rule, if there's some weird problem with a book, odds are pretty good you're not going to get that 9.6. in this book's case, I'm going to guess there are other flaws as well and that you would end up well under that magic 9.6 flip point.

19 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

You seem nice. I'm sure you'll do well here.

In an effort to provide actual advice, if you want a grade estimate, the "Hey buddy, can you spare a grade?" forum is that way. But, as a general rule, if there's some weird problem with a book, odds are pretty good you're not going to get that 9.6. in this book's case, I'm going to guess there are other flaws as well and that you would end up well under that magic 9.6 flip point.

Nah, it's a pretty flawless book other than the stamp.  I wouldn't waste people's time with a question on a book with obvious flaws.  Why would you assume there were other flaws?  I used to run a comic shop on ebay, and It isn't my first time submitting to CGC, but it's been a while.     I wasn't even asking anyone to grade my book. That's easy.  I do know that date stamps won't always detract from grades, but couldn't find any info on the affect of other USPS stamp markings on grading, since it isn't a production flaw, but it was a marking applied through the distribution process.

35 minutes ago, optimal_max said:

Why would you assume there were other flaws?

Because it is somewhat difficult to imagine a book receiving this sort of distribution stamping without also ending up with blunted corners or spine tics. But, hey, sometimes you do get lucky.

7 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Bet I can. Money is not the end-all-be-all for a fair amount of people.

And I bet that's not what he meant. 

7 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Bet I can. Money is not the end-all-be-all for a fair amount of people.

Just those trying to determine if they should encapsulate a comic to wring a couple of extra dollars out of selling it.