• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about grading a comic with detached center page
3 3

46 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2021 at 10:11 AM, djzombi said:

Well, I would definitely consider the centerfold being ripped out and put back in loose a serious problem.  Again, I've been basing my opinions all these years (35+) on Overstreet standards.  And using that knowledge, if I bought a book that had spine creases and was graded at F/VF, with creases consistent for that grade, and brought it home to find the centerfold detached, I would be VERY upset.  

I understand where you're coming from, but most of the other boardies are correct. I have a copy of Superman 4 where the COVER is completely detached (supple, just fell off without ripping). It is also not near mint otherwise and received a 4.0. I've also sent covers completely detached receive 5.5 as well from CGC. 

20201205_161339.jpg

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Is there a chance that the holes are not torn and it can safely be reattached? I had Mr Nelson safely reattach a centerfold well enough to get by the graders. 

I should ask. But I’ll hafta wait until CGC is done choking down the Promise Collection. Otherwise . . . 

832F92FB-F0A5-4655-A2F0-6205A8A073A1.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Joshua33 said:

I understand where you're coming from, but most of the other boardies are correct. I have a copy of Superman 4 where the COVER is completely detached (supple, just fell off without ripping). It is also not near mint otherwise and received a 4.0. I've also sent covers completely detached receive 5.5 as well from CGC. 

20201205_161339.jpg

One of my biggest regrets was selling a copy of this over 10 years ago.  It was only a 1.5 or something with a ton of tape, but I loved that book.  

Gorgeous copy!

Edited by DocHoppus182
Spelling

2 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I should ask. But I’ll hafta wait until CGC is done choking down the Promise Collection. Otherwise . . . 

832F92FB-F0A5-4655-A2F0-6205A8A073A1.jpeg

Yeah, no doubt.  I see a certain someone posting pics of the books on IG and keep thinking, “So that’s why it’s taking 3 weeks to check in books”.

On 6/3/2021 at 4:20 PM, GPCEE said:

It has to be ethical if Matt and Steve both think it's acceptable, right? :eyeroll:

Thanks for reposting this thread.  I'd heard about it but never seen it.

Pretty pivotal thread in the arc of our collecting world

the shock and outrage expressed in this thread is palpable, as certain truths are first revealed.  This is the thread where the phrase is first coined that a book - any book - can “maximize its potential”.  This is a representative quote from this 2006 thread:

“As I start to ponder this concept of POTENTIAL as supported by CGC, I wonder if they are the Watchmen or do they actually need to be watched. We passionate collectors who truly love our comics are outraged by some of the blatant manipulation of our comic treasures. We have been looking to CGC to help us protect these treasures from the evils of the manipulators and the gamers. Perhaps we should not look to CGC for help, but rather, look at them as a entity that is actually aiding, abetting, and in many ways encouraging the manipulation of our treasures.” @TvComics

this is where the hobby collectively found out there’s no Santa Claus.

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost