• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SCOOP

11 posts in this topic

I miss something? On EBay, the high bid was only $23K:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/213-Gil...561738090QQrdZ1

Even with the 15% juice added on, that's far short of $32K.

That's just the high bid on eBay. There must have been additional bids either on the seller's own website (not sure if they offered this or not) and/or at the live auction (more likely). I would have been surprised to see the high bid come in via eBay on a piece like this.

But don't the bids that come in on their own website get used to bid on the Ebay live auction? Otherwise, what's the point of it being a live auction?

If the Russ Cochran auctions are anything like the Heritage auctions, the live bidding picks up where the Internet bidding leaves off. That it is called an "eBay Live Auction" is a bit of a misnomer.

But don't the bids that come in on their own website get used to bid on the Ebay live auction? Otherwise, what's the point of it being a live auction?

They are used in the live auction part. They're just not recorded on eBay's bid record. eBay's bid record is simply the record of eBay bids before the live auction begins. Those bids rarely, if ever, match up to the final hammer price.

Here's a kicker: I just looked at the bids. None of the bids are from Ebay; they're all from the floor.

I've obviously mis-remembered how they track the live auction bids. Regardless, I've seen many Heritage examples where the final price on eBay is well short of the actual final price.

Isn't it possible Scoop got it wrong?

Sure, no one is perfect. confused-smiley-013.gif