• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

So I have this piece that I know somebody wants or needs more than myself. It is a display sign for the top of an old comic rack of some sort, advertising Archie comics. Now, I have no idea if it is from a spinner rack, a leaning rack or a smaller, counter top display. I have chatted and asked around and no consensus can be had but here is what I know about the piece:

It came out of a general store called Webbs in Lac Lu, Ontario. This is a rural area outside of Kenora, ON where there are a lot of cottages and, back in the day, this store served the cottages in the area. This general store closed sometime in the 60's, so that is the first indicator of the age and timeframe of the piece. The second indicator is that in the store at the time of purchase, there was a display stand advertising Little Golden Books for kids and this display piece advertised the cost of these books as 15 cents. So whenever Little Golden Books were sold for 15 cents is around the age of this sign.

It is dual sided and in excellent shape (some very light scuffs as seen in the photos). It measures 12.5 by 9 inches.

I have tried to research the sign but could not find an image on one. If someone else has one or even info, I welcome you to add it here. I have seen some display signs being asked in various conditions for anywhere from $100-500 or more, depending on the images on them and of course, condition. 

I am going to ask $200USD shipped. Maybe this is crazy, maybe this is not, I don't know. If you want it and think the price is crazy, talk to me. I am interested in finding it a good home for someone that can use it and display it as it should be. I mean, I won't give it away but I will entertain virtually any offer (including a trade!). 

Paypal for payment please. If unhappy, I will take a return. 

Thanks for looking!

archie1.jpg

archie2.jpg

Edited by comicginger1789

3 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hi everyone,

So I have this piece that I know somebody wants or needs more than myself. It is a display sign for the top of an old comic rack of some sort, advertising Archie comics. Now, I have no idea if it is from a spinner rack, a leaning rack or a smaller, counter top display. I have chatted and asked around and no consensus can be had but here is what I know about the piece:

It came out of a general store called Webbs in Lac Lu, Ontario. This is a rural area outside of Kenora, ON where there are a lot of cottages and, back in the day, this store served the cottages in the area. This general store closed sometime in the 60's, so that is the first indicator of the age and timeframe of the piece. The second indicator is that in the store at the time of purchase, there was a display stand advertising Little Golden Books for kids and this display piece advertised the cost of these books as 15 cents. So whenever Little Golden Books were sold for 15 cents is around the age of this sign.

It is dual sided and in excellent shape (some very light scuffs as seen in the photos). It measures 12.5 by 9 inches.

I have tried to research the sign but could not find an image on one. If someone else has one or even info, I welcome you to add it here. I have seen some display signs being asked in various conditions for anywhere from $100-500 or more, depending on the images on them and of course, condition. 

I am going to ask $200USD shipped. Maybe this is crazy, maybe this is not, I don't know. If you want it and think the price is crazy, talk to me. I am interested in finding it a good home for someone that can use it and display it as it should be. I mean, I won't give it away but I will entertain virtually any offer (including a trade!). 

Paypal for payment please. If unhappy, I will take a return. 

Thanks for looking!

archie1.jpg

archie2.jpg

@143ksk may be a possible match for that. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I'll pay tree fiddy...million!

Don't rub another man's rhubarb! :sumo:

Certainly something to be said about behaviour that could be seen as interfering with a deal that's already done. No probie list or HOS for that I guess.

4 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Are you defending it?

I think it’s hilarious that you took his comment seriously. Do you really think the other guys were trying to buy it out from under you? If anything it is poor behavior to tell the seller that he left money on the table.

4 minutes ago, gunsmokin said:

I think it’s hilarious that you took his comment seriously. Do you really think the other guys were trying to buy it out from under you? If anything it is poor behavior to tell the seller that he left money on the table.

Well at least we agree on something. I won't bore you, especially if you think it's hilarious, but I can assure you that this exact behaviour has led to a lot of deals to go sideways. I know from my PM's with @comicginger1789 that's not the case here, but it's more than poor form to me.

Just now, comicwiz said:

Well at least we agree on something. I won't bore you, especially if you think it's hilarious, but I can assure you that this exact behaviour has led to a lot of deals to go sideways. I know from my PM's with @comicginger1789 that's not the case here, but it's more than poor form to me.

Maybe if I didn’t know the offending parties well enough, I could see your point but they are all stand up guys for the most part. I thought about buying it yesterday but I’m not a big enough Archie guy to pull the trigger. Congrats on your purchase.