• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I be concerned about off-centre covers
1 1

9 posts in this topic

You tend to see alot of graded Silver Age/Bronze Age Comics with off-centre covers. In some issues (eg. ASM #129, Werewolf BN #32) it's  quite common and extreme with a visible white strip along the spine edge. Although this may be visually not ideal, it does not affect the grade until you get up around a 9.8. 

Until now I've tried to buy graded comics that have little or no, off-centred covers. It tends to limit my options though. Like when going after a comic in a grade I've been waiting for.

I wonder what others would do ? Should I be concerned ?

Will a FF grade 8.5 key issue with a missing, or partially visible, 'M' or 'Heads' in the Marvel box on the left hand side be less desirable and sellable than one where its not ?

Looking for some more experienced advice here guys.

Thanks

Colin

1 hour ago, Colin Nash said:

You tend to see alot of graded Silver Age/Bronze Age Comics with off-centre covers. In some issues (eg. ASM #129, Werewolf BN #32) it's  quite common and extreme with a visible white strip along the spine edge. Although this may be visually not ideal, it does not affect the grade until you get up around a 9.8. 

Until now I've tried to buy graded comics that have little or no, off-centred covers. It tends to limit my options though. Like when going after a comic in a grade I've been waiting for.

I wonder what others would do ? Should I be concerned ?

Will a FF grade 8.5 key issue with a missing, or partially visible, 'M' or 'Heads' in the Marvel box on the left hand side be less desirable and sellable than one where its not ?

Looking for some more experienced advice here guys.

Thanks

Colin

There doesn't appear to be much question that there are collectors who will only buy well-centered, well-wrapped, well-cut comics.  So the answer to your question is "yes," but you're talking about a sub-set of collectors (a significant group) who are not going to be interested in mis-wrapped books.

I would say in general, a comic with a better wrap looks better than something with a miswrap , all else be equal or close to equal.  

I would also say that a comic that look better is generally worth more.  How much more depends a bunch of things, but if we’re dealing with generalities that’s it

Edited by revat

I agree with what others have said and will add, I believe it makes a bigger difference with higher grade books. 

If you are in the market for a 9.8 / 9.6 BA or SA key, all 9.8s aren't created equal. The one that presents better, with the nicer wrap, will command a premium. 

15 hours ago, Colin Nash said:

"Less desirable"? Sure. "Less sell-able"? No.

I have no problem with the white strip on the spine. For example, if there was an 8.5 copy of Marvel Spotlight 5, one with white spine and one centered well with black, I honestly would just go for which book is the better deal. There are some who would never go for the white, and would maybe pay more for the well aligned cover but I agree that this is a subset of collectors.

Some things do bother me. A miscut where a portion of the cover is really cut off but even then, it has to be pretty bad for me to pass on the book. 

On 5/31/2021 at 4:53 PM, Colin Nash said:

In the case you bring up, no it wont matter at all. When it comes to keys, you have more than enough people out there that buy the slab rather than the book so there will always be demand for your particular slabbed book and it should have no problem selling at Fair Market Value.