• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yo Lighthouse, How Many 35-Centers Ya Got?

42 posts in this topic

I'm trying to stay away in order to focus on my needed 30 centers, but if I see these start going for lower, I may have to drop some "punishment" bids down! tongue.gif

J/K Lighthouse! tongue.gif

Joe- any more luck finding hidden ones. I've been combing and not having same rate of success... confused.gif

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing, I always say... smile.gif

And it's not hoarding until you are overpaying for triplicate copies. Before that it's just aggressive collecting. tongue.gif

BTW: I will make an open offer here, to anyone who feels like taking me up on it.

I will buy ANY 35c variant, in ANY condition (except coverless) for $35.

So anybody out there with any you feel like parting with, let me know! If you find one on eBay that I don't find and you can buy it cheap, flip it to me. I don't mind a bit! smile.gif

I will buy ANY 35c variant, in ANY condition (except coverless) for $35.

Same here and I'll pay $35.01 tongue.gif

I'm surprised you actually won that Cap 210 for around that price - Make sure to let Paul know if it crumbles so he can take it off his list of known existing 35 centers...I've got my eye on some and I've heard that some Ms. Marvels will be listed in the next 2 weeks...

Because some things are more important than money.......um...ah....

Just SELL IT! People obviously go ape S#$T for these, so take the profit and run.

Or...you're in Canada right? If you really want to be stopped, just give me your address and I'll break your fingers. grin.gif

>>Just SELL IT! People obviously go ape S#$T for these, so take the profit and run.

I'm not really concerned about the money, but the fact that I could blow off some copies, and then translate that into some comics that I really appreciate.

I mean, a GOOD 35-center almost hits $100, some copies with names scrawled on them and coupons filled in, hit the same levels.

WTF would happen if I listed some prime material right now?

WTF would happen if I listed some prime material right now?

There seem to be around half a dozen rabid collectors of 30 & 35 cent variants bidding on ebay autions at the moment. Definately a good time to sell.

Even the easier variants have been going for $35-50 in VF and above. Don't see too many high grade auctions, but those I have seen are clearing $100 on 30 centers.

So 35 cent books.............

Well I do have dupes of some X-Men issues that are gathering dust.... Not to mention the rarities I have are not exactly my most cherished books.

I'm really toying with keeping one of each X-Men, ASM and Byrne issue, and selling off the rest. I may list a dupe next week to see what the demand is like...

CGC 9.0, it suffers from the "overly graded issues" phenomenon. Where CGC sees so many of the books that they start grading them more toughly.

which one do you have? the 35-cent variant, or the regular 30 cent copy?

I guess you were being sarcastic in your earlier comment, because I knew IF 14 was the rarest of the 35-cent variants... tongue.gif

About three years ago, I purchased a collection filled with variants; in the collection were 6 regular Star Wars 1's, and 3 variants (only 1 left of the variants, and Darth's got dibs on it); 4 Iron Fist 14's, 2 regular and 2 variants. I slabbed the regular IF 14's and sold them on ebay two years ago just before the peak of the X-Men hype. I haven't sold nor slabbed any of the IF 14 variants; one grades out a NM- 9.2, and the other a NM 9.4, possibly a 9.6. Anybody have an idea what the going rate on the IF 14 variant in NM range?

I wonder what the rarest 35-center is? I'd go for one of the undiscovered Westerns or a Sgt. Fury myself, though I do wonder how many of those last Logan's Run issues are out there. Before I finally found one, I didn't think they existed, and Paul didn't even have the issues on his list.

Were there any super-rare ones in that collection?

I don't think I missed the Logan's Run issues cuz of rarity, although they are certainly not among the most common. Just a combination of sloppy record keeping and a continuing tendency to think of this title as having come out in 1975 or '76 when the movie was at its most popular (ah, the memories of Farah in that flick--she was quite the topic of conversation with us fifth graders when they finally showed the movie on cable). Instead, I think the rarest ones are definitely the Westerns and Fury, along with perhaps some of the reprints issues (not Marvel Tales) as the rarest.

As for the discrepancy betweent the prices realized for high versus low grade 35 centers, it makes some sense to me. Essentially, there are collectors who are happy to have ANY copy of them while at the same time are only willing to pay so much. Grade becomes irrelevant (or less relevant). It was like this with the 30 cent one four years ago. I used to sell VG/F and NM copies for up to 40 bucks for a while because they weren't showing up on ebay and people where contacting me through my site.

Now, why are the 30 cent variant HG copies going for prices comrable to the 35 cent issues? I believe that it's almost as if a book needs to be common enough to be attainable for demand to increase and that the 30 cent ones are now not only percieved of as desirable, but attainable (of course, this has it's limits-once something is seen as too common, demand falls--witness what's happened with mid grade SA and BA books in general thanks to ebay). As an example, look at the conversation JC and I had in the Bronze forum where we thought of selling off our .35 cent variants because we thought we'd never finish the set. Imagine how the average collector of BA books must feel then. I'd imagine they think they're so rare that they'd never bother to buy or bid on them. The same goes for dealers--I'm convinced that dealer resistance and occassional scorn is based in the same perception. When we all thought the 30 cent variants were super rare, I would find dealers laughing at me and others for searching for them. Now that they are more common, I've seen the same dealers gladly selling them and trying to build them up as soon as they come across them.