• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thinking to make my first submittal and have a question about screening moderns...
1 1

30 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Mingaling said:

LOL the truth can never be hate!

Truth is, if you want genuine help here: Don't be so defensive/combative. I get where you're coming from, but you're posting in a newb board and then going all "I know this!" "I know that!" on erry'body...

Edited by Fisionbomb

7 minutes ago, Fisionbomb said:

Truth is, if you want genuine help here: Don't be so defensive/combative. I get where you're coming from, but you're posting in a newb board and then going all "I know this!" "I know that!" on erry'body...

I posted specific questions that I wanted answered.  Nothing more nothing less.  I could care less if someone insults me but be prepared to defend an idiotic comment.  How hard is it to stick to the subject of the thread?  If you don't have something to further the subject then why even post?

7 hours ago, Mingaling said:
On 6/5/2021 at 11:35 AM, Jeffro. said:

Have you determined whether it's even worth it to slab every one of those? 

I know quite a bit about comic value, keys, short print in demand comics and ratio variants.  So yes out of my 6k comics the 4 or 5 short boxes of silver-modern would all bring in an elevated premium in the 9.8 and often 9.6 range.  

Best of luck. If you do end up sending them in, please post your results. 

49 minutes ago, Mingaling said:

I posted specific questions that I wanted answered.  Nothing more nothing less.  I could care less if someone insults me but be prepared to defend an idiotic comment.  How hard is it to stick to the subject of the thread?  If you don't have something to further the subject then why even post?

I agree with you, and hope you found the answer you’re looking for

But honestly the vast vast vast majority of people who post in the newbie section have the wrong idea about value, grade, condition or all of the above of their collection.  While it may have come off as condescending, the folks here were trying to help you not make the very common mistakes as so many other (including themselves in many cases) have made.  

of course ultimately they’re your comics. It’s your time and money and risk.  And the people here don’t know you, or how much you know about comics (though they may think they got some hints from language you’re using).  

so good luck 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:46 PM, revat said:

Actually you can send them to CCS, the pressing arm (cousin?) of Cgc.  You can have them pre-screen for pressable defects, then they press the ones they think need pressing, and eventually they all get submitted for grading.

at that point, you can pre-screen the grading for whatever grade you’re looking for, and they will only grade the books that meet those grades.

The CCS pre screen is not available for modern tier, so it won't work in this case.

On 6/5/2021 at 3:12 AM, Mingaling said:

Well it would be cleaning and not pressing as these books, for the most part, would not need a pressing. Why would CGC not give the option of fixing the problems as they already have the books?  Seems crazy to have wait a month or longer just to have them send books back for having a finger print stopping the books from getting an 9.8 that could easily be cleaned.  They charge you for the service and everyone is happy.  Sigh

Yeah, I get it, doesn't make much sense on our end. But on their end, the grader always evaluates a comic as it appears to them. That's how you remove any bias of who sent it in, or if it was a previously slabbed book or not. That means that they can't give you a guarnatee that removing  pressable defect will result in the grader giving it a 9.8 when he finally sees it again. Could be the pressing job wasn't good, or there was extra handling after that still makes it not a 9.8 or maybe the initial screening didn't catch another defect that would also not have made it a 9.8. And in any of those scenarios, CGC just doesn't have any time to deal with complaints of people who were promised a 9.8. 

They would much rather you just keep paying to have the book pressed and after prescreened everytime. And people have done this, they have kept sending in the same book as part of a group of 25 submissions and the book eventually gets accepted as a 9.8 where it was previously rejected. That's how they preffer to operate.

So, what I think is best is to have your nice books pressed and cleaned (press them still, you never know) independently and then go for the presreen. Because at least then you will be 100% certain that a press won't help get you a 9.8 since the books will have already been pressed. Sure, you may lose out on some books that didn't make it, but you will have gained by not having to the the back and forth. basically, your gains on a 9.8 (if these are wanted books) should outdo the losses from having sent 10$ on pressing a book that won't be slabbed afterall.

That is the winning strategy and the only way to go about accomplishing the goals you said you were setting out the smart way. 

Any other method will result in more loss of time and money.

If anything I wrote above is unclear, let me know.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The CCS pre screen is not available for modern tier, so it won't work in this case.

This is a great point. So if you want the prescreen before CCS pressing for modern (post-1975) books, make sure you submit them under “standard” or “walkthrough” tier, whichever is more appropriate for your given books.  

6 hours ago, revat said:

This is a great point. So if you want the prescreen before CCS pressing for modern (post-1975) books, make sure you submit them under “standard” or “walkthrough” tier, whichever is more appropriate for your given books.  

man, you are really having fun with this guy, arent you?

On 6/6/2021 at 11:06 AM, Mingaling said:

Understanding the market has nothing to do with not understanding how to streamline the grading process at all.  I stated I had shorts of silver-modern that would benefit from grading so please comprehend my statement before you reply.   I understand results but not how to get things organized for grading.  Fact is I would not grade for my PC but I am looking to unload some higher end modern variants.  

Being so defensive will not get you the varying yet often helpful advice needed to make an informed decision. Take that for what it is worth to you.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE