• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Restore or Not - Center Pages Separated
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Prior to posting, I looked for this topic, but did not find any.

I have a Silver Age comic where the 2 center page separated from the staples. There are no signs of distress to the comic and we cannot figure out how or why the pages separated. The staples are tight. In the photos, it appears that the pages slipped pass the staple and only left 2 holes for each staple location. However, the pages pulled through each staple and there is an entire gap at each staple location. It appears the cause is age. Here are my questions:

(1) I see CGC can Restore this and it appears to be an A1 (Excellent, Slight). How close is this estimation?

(2) Cost estimates? I'm looking for ballpark here: $20, $50, $100?

(3) Given the option to Restore vs leaving as is, what is the Grade hit? 

Stats: OW to COW pages. Bright colors. Front/Back pages are perfectly centered. Both staples are centered on the spine. Based on recent sales, this issue should retail for $1,950. If it's down 0.5 grade $800. If up .05 grade $2,700. These numbers reflect retail if the center pages had never detached.

Thank you for your time.

IMG_4463.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

IMG_4467.jpg

IMG_4468.jpg

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4470.jpg

I guess it's all about what you are trying to achieve. 

If it's for your personal collection and you'll have it for years, then do what you feel is right. If you want the CF reattached to "restore" it to original condition, feel free to. 

If your concerned about resale, I wouldn't have it restored. 

It will hurt the value, but you will also limit the number of people who would be interested in buying it.  Many collectors streer clear of purple (or green).  

KCO, I agree. However, the kiss of death for a Restored comic appears to be the "page(s) trimmed".  I used to avoid Restored issues, but now I look at what restoration actually occurred.

The same goes for the "status" of the comic book cover. Regardless of the Grade, if the cover is shifted or rotated in any direction (white spine shows up on the left or words/stamps/price get cut off or date stamps) it's not worth the premium price, for me. There's buyers who do not care and purchase strictly on Grade; good for them. 

Still haven't decided to whether to slab. I'm hoping to hear from members who submitted a comic with the center page detached. 

1 hour ago, ___!___!___ said:

No, the kiss of death is the Restored label itself (thumbsu

Ha! I wish I could argue with you. Alas, I believe the best route for this classic will be the Green label. I'll keep checking back on this post to see if anyone else has questions and/or to hear from those with firsthand experience.

Many thanks.