• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Hate the 90’s, Marvel Mystery edition.

3 posts in this topic

I mainly collected Golden Age I the late 70’s when I was a teenager.  But I did get back in during the Mid/late 90’s. I was out again fairly soon as I kept coming across repaired/fiddled with books. It is easy to spot color touch up, but the worst was one long-lusted-after book that I bought from a very well-respected dealer that reeked of chemicals right out of the mailer.  That one I returned immediately.  This trend eventually turned me off collecting entirely. 

One 90’s book that I had faith in was a sharp looking copy of Marvel Mystery #47 that I recently sent to CGC, along with a few pedigrees and some other GA’s and EC’s (all bought in the 90’s) that I am thinking about selling. This was my first submission to CGC.

So, MM47 came back as repaired.  

• crease bottom of front cover
  • crease top of back cover
  • large crease left bottom of back cover
  • tear left center of back cover
  • tear seals top back cover C-1

I am OK with the surprise category change, It is what it is. I re-read, but I did not critically examine the book before sending it, otherwise I would have seen the seals (I presume).  C-1 is slight but amateur – the 90’s!

So, my question!   

On the slab listed notes it just reads “Tear seals to cover”. The repairs in the grader notes say the seals are just on the back cover. Just saying “tear seals” is misleading as everyone is fixated on covers in our current slabbed environment. The cover is untouched, shouldn’t that be noted if one is going to place it in a restored category? 

Anyway, I am also confused, would the book be a VG without the tear seals? It’s better than apparent Fine. Even if not perfect.

1410183876_MM47cover.thumb.jpg.13b163e9b74dedd102d9b5493e5a0c02.jpg

2017804113_MM47verso.thumb.jpg.971a72dd9c2cbc02c0e35021235f759d.jpg

Edited by GLD

Usually on the label they don't call out specifically where the resto is. 

As for the grade it's hard for me to see the tear seal from the pictures.  The grade without resto would depend on how big and how many tears were repaired. 

The cover looks gorgeous and unless the bc tears are pretty obnoxious, I see it as better than VG without resto. 

On 6/8/2021 at 6:03 AM, KCOComics said:

Usually on the label they don't call out specifically where the resto is. 

As for the grade it's hard for me to see the tear seal from the pictures.  The grade without resto would depend on how big and how many tears were repaired. 

The cover looks gorgeous and unless the bc tears are pretty obnoxious, I see it as better than VG without resto. 

Thanks, I am wondering if that lower right on the back cover is replaced? Anyway it looks like a much better grade, even given the rounded corner and little issues. I trust all the golden age I bought in the 70's, But I thnk all the better books I bought in the 90's are going to have to be vetted. Luckily the other, so far, have comeback as untouched.