• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My humble entry into collecting Golden Age age
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2021 at 5:07 PM, Lurker89 said:

Hello my distinguished friends.

Been a member here for a while lurked here many years longer.

I mostly collect bronze age but I have always wanted to jump into the Golden Age with you fine gentlemen.

Recently I traded a chunk of books to one of my local shops for this nice piece of entry gold:

IMG_20210609_193036.thumb.jpg.69a36a6908c3667abb1c5b9c529e6624.jpg

I have plenty of golden age targets but actually collecting Golden Age is new to me and proper value is hard to determine for a newbie to these golden halls.

So I have come you to guys to see how I did.

The price tag was $250

My trade value was a good chunk over $300 but I had to make it worth the shops time.

The book presents really well but has ample issues. The main one being a spine split affecting the cover only that goes up the bottom third of the book and looks like it it would gladly run another third if handled improperly. There is also a slight moisture stain on the top left and other general wear.

Hopefully some of you guys have some ideas on where a grade would land. I'd be happy with a 2.0 but am a man in a strange new land when it comes to Golden Age beauties like this.

Congrats and welcome to the "Gold". You will find that most GA comic book collectors are friendly and very knowledgeable so this is a wonderful resource should you have any questions or want some good tips on what GA to buy or look for. They always say the first step on any journey is the biggest one, good luck and happy hunting.

2 hours ago, vheflin said:

Judging by this recent sale on Heritage I'd say you did pretty good.  I guess yours is around a 3.0 but post it in the PGM forum to get a good idea of what it would grade.

witchcraft.thumb.jpg.969e17bc4de7bb435e24fe6f379677f8.jpg

I appreciate the find on HA.

Sounds like I found a nice rare-ish gem.

As far as handling it to put it in PGM the the delicate spine gives me the willies I would hate to pull it out and and have an oopsie, I'm sure I'll muster the courage at some point though. I wonder how those of you who have collected gold for some time view this. Should I just get it encapsulated as is, hoping for a 2.0 +.

Or

Should I aim for the new fangled conserved label and see if I can find a historian/archivist/Indiana Jones to "conserve" the book mainly the spine.

I apologize in advance if this conserved idea is anathema to community standards lol

I think it all depends on why you bought it in the first place.  I buy my books, generally in "reader grade" condition, in order to read them, and yes, there is occasionally some "collateral damage" occurring, mainly on the more fragile copies.  That said, one can read almost any non copyrighted book online, except for EC's.  If you only bought it for the cover illustration, you could either leave it in your own sleeve, or send it to a grading service.

6 minutes ago, fifties said:

I think it all depends on why you bought it in the first place.  I buy my books, generally in "reader grade" condition, in order to read them, and yes, there is occasionally some "collateral damage" occurring, mainly on the more fragile copies.  That said, one can read almost any non copyrighted book online, except for EC's.  If you only bought it for the cover illustration, you could either leave it in your own sleeve, or send it to a grading service.

It's scanned and available here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=12165

With that said, there's a joy to reading actual vintage books as well.

2 hours ago, fifties said:

I own it to love and preserve it. 

The history major that I was likes to think I'm preserving history with. The nerd in me just loves having high grade rare gems and first appearances of my favorite characters.

I do enjoy preserving condition for sure and would be very unhappy with myself if I damaged the book lol

35 minutes ago, Lurker89 said:

I own it to love and preserve it. 

The history major that I was likes to think I'm preserving history with. The nerd in me just loves having high grade rare gems and first appearances of my favorite characters.

I do enjoy preserving condition for sure and would be very unhappy with myself if I damaged the book lol

Nice 1st GA book.  Keep in mind that any conservation work will lower the value of the book if you decide to sell it someday.  I would just keep it in the sleeve and not mess with it at all.  It will be fine. :foryou:

18 hours ago, vheflin said:

Judging by this recent sale on Heritage I'd say you did pretty good.  I guess yours is around a 3.0 but post it in the PGM forum to get a good idea of what it would grade.

witchcraft.thumb.jpg.969e17bc4de7bb435e24fe6f379677f8.jpg

Surely this cover is by Kinstler? Why does JVJ credit Fawcette, and CGC credit no one?

14 hours ago, OtherEric said:

It's scanned and available here:

https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?dlid=12165

With that said, there's a joy to reading actual vintage books as well.

The Sid Check art in this book looks a lot like Wood. Check is the poor man's Wallace Wood I guess. Most of the interior art for Avon titles is second rate. But their covers are excellent.

6 hours ago, Sarg said:

The Sid Check art in this book looks a lot like Wood. Check is the poor man's Wallace Wood I guess. Most of the interior art for Avon titles is second rate. But their covers are excellent.

No surprise, as Sid Check did do some work at EC, in their earlier books.