• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Anime And Things We Threw in Because We Couldn't Find Enough Anime Auction

57 posts in this topic

Mandarake just listed some more Ghibli stuff on their front auction page. This sketch might be worth a watch.

https://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/item/itemInfoEn.html?index=662771

I want to go to some of their locations one day. They have this underground one.

This seems like the coolest idea for a underground type comic shop. I don't think we have anything like this in the US.

17 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

Mandarake just listed some more Ghibli stuff on their front auction page. This sketch might be worth a watch.

Finally got a chance to look through Mandarake's offerings and there's a lot of good quality and seemingly cheap (at least by comparison to everything else nowadays) anime cels.  At least there are several cool items from recognizable shows with fairly low starting bids, but wow the Ghibli items really must be hard to come by as they're way out ahead of anything else.  Gonna start regularly watching their auctions and try to get a better sense of the market (assuming there's no funny business going on with them).

Anyone have much experience with getting items from them?  Any issues with shipping etc?

6 minutes ago, szav said:

Any issues with shipping etc?

For customs they call everything "production art", that means you'll get slammed with duties on sizeable purchases.

And no, they don't care when you point this out to them:

Original works of art (i.e. paintings, drawings, pastels, collages and decorative plaques) with or without their frames are duty-free under Chapter 97 in the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS).

Source: https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-360?language=en_US

On 6/17/2021 at 6:56 PM, szav said:

Finally got a chance to look through Mandarake's offerings and there's a lot of good quality and seemingly cheap (at least by comparison to everything else nowadays) anime cels.  At least there are several cool items from recognizable shows with fairly low starting bids, but wow the Ghibli items really must be hard to come by as they're way out ahead of anything else.  Gonna start regularly watching their auctions and try to get a better sense of the market (assuming there's no funny business going on with them).

Anyone have much experience with getting items from them?  Any issues with shipping etc?

No shipping problems for me. It's a generalization but people packing stuff from Japan to the United States do a really good job. I always choose EMS or another one that only takes a week or so to deliver. So that leaves less time for the Postal Services to mess things up. I think EMS is the best for International mail as well.

I saved a bunch to watch in Heritage's auction. Some Akira cels and backgrounds are going for a lot. One on the motorcycle that seems a bit faded. But is still getting attention. I need to watch that movie again. I remember only liking the first part with the motorcycle chase. It got kind of crazy after that. I just checked wiki and the movie came out in 1988. I thought it was in the 90s as that's when I saw it. I guess Hollywood gave up on the movie version for now. Especially after Ghost in the Shell flopped. I would like a good cel and background from that one.

Maybe more will turn up in the future when people see the totals and since it's the first anime auction from Heritage. There are of course a ton of shows. Just need the materials.

1 hour ago, szav said:

nice to see.  I expect the big lots tomorrow will do even better.

3 hours ago, Taylor G said:

Castle in the Sky is great diesel punk.

I just read that they have a Ghibli Fest coming up this October with the movies screening in theaters. I might check them out then. Provided everything is ok with this virus situation. They are talking about a Delta variant now. What we need is a closed off virus free town. Something like that Night Shamalan TV show with town enclosed in the mountains.

I wonder about these Akira cels. I'll check today's prices later on. I'm sure it's the backgrounds pushing the prices. The one I mentioned that is fading is already over $20,000 I believe. I wonder if it's some Hollywood type or the Japanese studio buying these back? Unless some people really have money to burn. It kind of concerns me about what a really nice scene would go for. I would probably just go for one of those limited reproduction cels rather than pay a whole bunch of money for a faded cel. Unless the background was really nice.

Although, I think I saw a Disney cel restoration video before. So maybe people are restoring Japanese cels too and I just haven't seen it yet.

Those SpongeBobs look pretty cheap if what they advertise, that only season 1 used hand painted cels is true, or are there like tens of thousands of those ?

Edited by szav

Really wanted the Dragon’s Layer piece but was watching something later

Got totally spanked on the Peanuts Daily from 1951.  I was out pretty early in the live bidding.

Wanted the Lucy/Charlie Brown Psychiatrist booth cell but too rich for me.

Last hope was the football piece, placed a bid at the very end and won !

ED8C04CB-43FA-4C91-AF8A-28C71653EEDA.jpeg

34 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Got totally spanked on the Peanuts Daily from 1951.

Is that a soil yourself or record price?  Six figures dear lord.

Nice pick up.  As a casual peanuts  fan, the field goal kicking scene/gags are some of the more memorable ones and are really representative of the Peanuts genre.

Edited by szav
Sp

Just now, szav said:

Nice pick up.  As a casual peanuts  fan, the field goal kicking scene/gags are some of the more memorable ones and are really representative of peanuts genre.

It was definitely a high price but there have been several 6-figure prices for dailies over the last few years.  That one was particularly nice since it had so many of the characters in it.  

I love the football one, not cheap but not as high as the ones from the Christmas Special.  I will be reframing it for sure !

11 hours ago, szav said:

No kidding.  The cel and master key background from "My Neighbor Totoro", featuring nothing but Mei's sandal floating in the water, went for $21,600 w/BP.

The bus stop scene is going to go for a bomb when it comes up today.  

5 hours ago, batman_fan said:
5 hours ago, szav said:

Nice pick up.  As a casual peanuts  fan, the field goal kicking scene/gags are some of the more memorable ones and are really representative of peanuts genre.

It was definitely a high price but there have been several 6-figure prices for dailies over the last few years.  That one was particularly nice since it had so many of the characters in it.

It surprised me that this one went so high after the 1950s dailies seem to have taken a bit of a dip in the comic OA auctions lately.

58 minutes ago, tth2 said:

It surprised me that this one went so high after the 1950s dailies seem to have taken a bit of a dip in the comic OA auctions lately.

I think that it was in the original style for the characters and it had so many in the strip really drove the price.

3 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I think that it was in the original style for the characters and it had so many in the strip really drove the price.

Was it the earliest piece that Heritage has sold so far?  

1 hour ago, Taylor G said:

o.O I was referring to my own personal favorite Miyazaki (and the first film from Studio Ghibli).  Perhaps you meant to respond to the OP. 

Sorry. I saw the word "punk" and thought it was a put down. :sorry: