• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art Day, DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND, Marshall Rogers!

16 posts in this topic

I'm a big fan of the early 1960s science-fiction TV show, THE OUTER LIMITS, and my favorite episode is 'Demon With a Glass Hand', written by the late great Harlan Ellison.

During the mid-1980s Marshall Rogers was tasked with bringing Ellison's sparkling teleplay to life as a graphic novel for DC.  For the most part, Rogers stayed faithful to Ellison's original shooting -script - though there are some slight changes (having compared the graphic novel to Ellison's shooting -script contained in HE's Brain Movies Volume One).

About six years ago I was lucky enough to purchase the cover prelim along with five interior pages, four of which Felix Lu kindly offered to me.

Several weeks ago Brian Peck, remembering I was a fan of the story, gave me the heads-up on some interior pages coming up for auction.

Of the group of three pages coming up for auction at the same time, Monday just gone, I managed to win pages 40 and 41 - which happened to be one of my favorite action sequences from the graphic novel adaptation.  Page 40 features the hero of the story Mr Trent destroying the Kyben time-mirror . . . and page 41 has some nice shots of the interior of the Bradbury Building in dowtown Los Angeles  (where Demon was filmed).  I've visited the Bradbury several times on trips to LA and it's a remarkable building  Parts of Blade Runner and countless other TV shows and movies have been filmed there.

The two pages I won have been paid for and are awaiting shipping.  I see no reason why I shouldn't upload them onto my CAF, 

A couple of small images and links to larger scans on my CAF (where other pages can be viewed for those of you interested enough to take a look):

40.jpg.1bd13bec3cd2a7aee7db4d95b7898036.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 40, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

41.jpg.fd4aa4b54cf8a02e077e4289bf7218b8.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 41, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

And here's a photo of the interior of the Bradbury Building (with my friend Lloyd Braddy in the checked shirt):

Bradbury.jpg.eb23301a4665bcdb5b5fac1a4700932f.jpg

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

I'm a big fan of the early 1960s science-fiction TV show, THE OUTER LIMITS, and my favorite episode is 'Demon With a Glass Hand', written by the late great Harlan Ellison.

During the mid-1980s Marshall Rogers was tasked with bringing Ellison's sparkling teleplay to life as a graphic novel for DC.  For the most part, Rogers stayed faithful to Ellison's original shooting --script - though there are some slight changes (having compared the graphic novel to Ellison's shooting --script contained in HE's Brain Movies Volume One).

About six years ago I was lucky enough to purchase the cover prelim along with five interior pages, four of which Felix Lu kindly offered to me.

Several weeks ago Brian Peck, remembering I was a fan of the story, gave me the heads-up on some interior pages coming up for auction.

Of the group of three pages coming up for auction at the same time, Monday just gone, I managed to win pages 40 and 41 - which happened to be one of my favorite action sequences from the graphic novel adaptation.  Page 40 features the hero of the story Mr Trent destroying the Kyben time-mirror . . . and page 41 has some nice shots of the interior of the Bradbury Building in dowtown Los Angeles  (where Demon was filmed).  I've visited the Bradbury several times on trips to LA and it's a remarkable building  Parts of Blade Runner and countless other TV shows and movies have been filmed there.

The two pages I won have been paid for and are awaiting shipping.  I see no reason why I shouldn't upload them onto my CAF, 

A couple of small images and links to larger scans on my CAF (where other pages can be viewed for those of you interested enough to take a look):

40.jpg.1bd13bec3cd2a7aee7db4d95b7898036.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 40, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

41.jpg.fd4aa4b54cf8a02e077e4289bf7218b8.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 41, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

And here's a photo of the interior of the Bradbury Building (with my friend Lloyd Braddy in the checked shirt):

Bradbury.jpg.eb23301a4665bcdb5b5fac1a4700932f.jpg

Glad to see that you were able to add some more pages to your collection!  I tried to put the book together many years ago, but after a few years of trying, I decided to focus on other pursuits.

Good luck with the quest for more pages!

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Glad to see that you were able to add some more pages to your collection!  I tried to put the book together many years ago, but after a few years of trying, I decided to focus on other pursuits.

Good luck with the quest for more pages!

Thanks!

DOA with Edmond O'Brien also had some key scenes shot in the Bradbury. 

It's an amazing building.  Only in America would such an iconic building in the popular culture have a Subway shop on the ground floor.  But at least it isn't falling apart like it was when they filmed Blade Runner.  

The surrounding Bunker Hill area is also the sight of some of the greatest noir films, including Act of Violence and Criss Cross.

11 hours ago, Taylor G said:

DOA with Edmond O'Brien also had some key scenes shot in the Bradbury. 

It's an amazing building.  Only in America would such an iconic building in the popular culture have a Subway shop on the ground floor.  But at least it isn't falling apart like it was when they filmed Blade Runner.  

The surrounding Bunker Hill area is also the sight of some of the greatest noir films, including Act of Violence and Criss Cross.

Ha, ha, ha, yeah, I've snacked in that Subway!  There's also a huge painting of Anthony Quinn on one of the walls of a building opposite the Bradbury (look at the parked cars in the foreground to get the scale of the thing) . . . 

31689075_10156345788049596_1159070377356296192_n.jpg

31703875_10156345704349596_8729520591033335808_n.jpg

Fantastic pickups, Terry...congrats. I don't monitor auctions as closely as I used to, so would have missed these entirely if a fellow collector hadn't alerted me to them (thanks J!). I was shocked at how these pages went. But they were all excellent examples. Presumably same consignor for this batch of pages showing up. Every page in the book is gorgeous work by Rogers...but this guy got some really prime ones.

Wonder if it was Harlan? Heard he had a few pages...

37 minutes ago, Nexus said:

Fantastic pickups, Terry...congrats. I don't monitor auctions as closely as I used to, so would have missed these entirely if a fellow collector hadn't alerted me to them (thanks J!). I was shocked at how these pages went. But they were all excellent examples. Presumably same consignor for this batch of pages showing up. Every page in the book is gorgeous work by Rogers...but this guy got some really prime ones.

Wonder if it was Harlan? Heard he had a few pages...

Thanks, Felix.  Yeah, I too suspect that these pages may well have come from Harlan's estate.  hm

Update!  I've now won two more pages in today's closing auction.

Page 6, which ties into the opening of the televised episode as. after the control voice narration. Mr Trent appears delivering his opening lines of, "I was born ten days ago":

1608732268_CGC1.jpg.dcf4135f178550e9622a9bfca6dc887d.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 6, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

. . . and page 43, which jumps a beat (I'm missing page 42) and continues on from my previous won two-page sequence.

1209594139_CGC2.jpg.8bab2164199ccbe83441255d99eae1ba.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 43, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

Couldn't be any happier with four good wins out of six pages offered thus far!

Edited by The Voord

Final win from the recent Heritage auctions:

13.jpg.0db882df995396f7a9037264b0eab932.jpg

Demon With a Glass Hand - page 13, in Terry Doyle's 8. DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND Comic Art Gallery Room (comicartfans.com)

Of the nine pages offered by Heritage in recent weeks, I managed to snag five pages.  Some prime examples re-surfaced and I'm now at ten interior pages plus the cover prelim (a good chunk of the graphic novel).  It was always on my wish list to have a good range of representative examples from the book, rather than try to put it all back together (which was never going to happen) and I'm now more than content on that score.

Congrats to other buyers, if they're on these forums, and thanks again to Brian Peck who gave me the heads-up on these offerings.