• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for People Who Use Gemini Mailers
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I having been using Gemini mailers since I started selling off parts of my collection. When I ordered another box of them, I noticed that the company states that you can fit up to ten comics into a mailer. I have never been able to come close to that number. All the issues that I sell are bagged and boarded, because that's what people seem to prefer. Let's say that I have three individual issues to sell. I put the issues between two pieces of cardboard, and then I wrap this "sandwich" in bubble wrap. I have trouble getting the mailer to close enough so that I can tape it shut.

So, here's my question. Is putting the books inside two pieces of cardboard and then wrapping in bubble wrap overkill? Obviously, I don't want the books to be damaged, but I would also like to be able to put more issues into a mailer. When you send books using a mailer, how much additional protection do you provide?

Thanks for your input.

I use poly bags rather than Gemini mailers.   I take bag and boarded comics, wrap them in a plastic sheet and tape them between strong cardboard pieces.  If there's  enough space between  the pieces I fill them with rolled up packing paper, otherwise I'll put bubble wrap around it all.  I've  never had a problem.  So I'd think you could forgo  the cardboard sheets when using mailers or keep that and pack the space between them rather than bubble wrap the outside which eats up space.

IMO, if you use the cardboard sandwich inside the Gemini mailer then bubble wrap is overkill.  Just make sure everything is IMMOBILIZED.  And for surprising extra strength, cut the cardboard sandwich pieces so the grain on one is horizontal and the other is vertical.   (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

I having been using Gemini mailers since I started selling off parts of my collection. When I ordered another box of them, I noticed that the company states that you can fit up to ten comics into a mailer. I have never been able to come close to that number. All the issues that I sell are bagged and boarded, because that's what people seem to prefer. Let's say that I have three individual issues to sell. I put the issues between two pieces of cardboard, and then I wrap this "sandwich" in bubble wrap. I have trouble getting the mailer to close enough so that I can tape it shut.

So, here's my question. Is putting the books inside two pieces of cardboard and then wrapping in bubble wrap overkill? Obviously, I don't want the books to be damaged, but I would also like to be able to put more issues into a mailer. When you send books using a mailer, how much additional protection do you provide?

Thanks for your input.

There is no "overkill" when shipping comics, or anything valuable...more is always better

52 minutes ago, Bob Troub said:

There is no "overkill" when shipping comics, or anything valuable...more is always better

That's not necessarily true. I once used too much tape on a cardboard sandwich and the buyer let me know that he had a devil of a time getting the comics out without damaging them, because I thought that more tape was better and more secure. There have also been people on this board talking about similar situations so making a blanket statement that more is always better is not always true.

11 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

So, here's my question. Is putting the books inside two pieces of cardboard and then wrapping in bubble wrap overkill?

IMO the bubble wrap INSIDE a gemini is overkill. The gemini mailer is generally good enough without even the cardboard sandwich for "lower" value books. "Mid-range" books get the cardboard sandwich. "High" value books, should get a cardboard sandwich, inside a gemini mailer, mailer wrapped in bubble wrap, then placed inside a larger sturdy box.

7 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

That's not necessarily true. I once used too much tape on a cardboard sandwich and the buyer let me know that he had a devil of a time getting the comics out without damaging them, because I thought that more tape was better and more secure. There have also been people on this board talking about similar situations so making a blanket statement that more is always better is not always true.

Are you kidding me??!! To much (gasp) tape?  Tell your buyer to get a life.... safety first...lmao 

1 hour ago, Bob Troub said:
9 hours ago, Jeffro. said:

Are you kidding me??!! To much (gasp) tape?  Tell your buyer to get a life.... safety first...lmao 

Sure chief, sure (thumbsu

Id skip the bubble wrap typically, dont get me wrong depending on how many and what is in the lot I may still include it. but typically I would just make sure they are all secured with the extra cardboard so they dont shift in the box. I also agree with doing the sandwich the cardboard pieces with one horizontal and other vertical.