• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where are you selling now (that ebay isn't as good)?
4 4

72 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'm going to give Myslabs a plug! They're deeper into sports cards but have just gotten into the comics market. Give them a look, hopefully they can catch on!

I will definitely try them out.  I saw the other thread about them and glad to see competition to Ebay

Curious to see if anyone has tried the WhatsNot app as well....

2 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I will definitely try them out.  I saw the other thread about them and glad to see competition to Ebay

I went to the Whatsnot site and it appears to encourage people to download the app. I didn't spend enough time there as soon as I didn't see a search tool. Can you buy without having to download the app?

5 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I went to the Whatsnot site and it appears to encourage people to download the app. I didn't spend enough time there as soon as I didn't see a search tool. Can you buy without having to download the app?

I think it's app based,  I'll try it out the next time im selling a few things and see how it goes...

22 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I think you should try IG next. Its where I am heading later this year for a trial. Its not much fee avoidance, but attracting new buyers for me. 
The only downside to IG are the sellers who try to get you to pay F&F to avoid the paypal fee which is dumb and petty. Also it avoids your
buyer protection. 

You would do great on IG. The biggest downside is raw for unknown sellers but you'll have no problems and I think you'll thrive given your rep 

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

You mean competition for eBay, C-Link, CC, Heritage, and MCS.

2 minutes ago, pickycollector said:
5 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

forcing managed payments

This. Nothing else. Period

Me three.

They got me in the very last batch, I think.  A month ago I listed a $2000 book and sold it - last week went to list a small item and they demanded some new rigamarole I had to sign up for (couldn't just use paypal any more), so I bailed.  Probably won't try ebay again as a seller (been selling comics there as grebal since '99 - maybe time to ditch the name too now).

8 minutes ago, grebal said:

Me three.

They got me in the very last batch, I think.  A month ago I listed a $2000 book and sold it - last week went to list a small item and they demanded some new rigamarole I had to sign up for (couldn't just use paypal any more), so I bailed.  Probably won't try ebay again as a seller (been selling comics there as grebal since '99 - maybe time to ditch the name too now).

If you find a good replacement. Let me know . Seems like there are good developing options showing up for slabbed books...  I'm sure eventually, there will be one place that we all congregate .   I do need to find a good place to sell raw books. 

Seems like right now is a great opportunity for one of the competitors to swoop in and create a similar easy to use platform to sell since a lot of ebay sellers are quitting or looking to other options.   

Edited by Wolverinex

4 hours ago, BishopT said:

I left my job last June and have been selling on eBay solely since then. I just. Set up for the first time at a local flea market and did quite well all things considered, so that may be a fruitful outlet for me in the future, maybe not regularly but once a month or so. I may start trying my hand at setting up at shows in my region.

I tried Facebook a few months ago but it didn’t work out very well, just not enough traffic in the groups I joined. Maybe I need to find better selling groups there.

Pre-pandamic, I was selling on eBay, here, and once or twice a month at local antique shows and flea markets. I was doing quite well until live shows shut down. eBay after that. I did pretty well until the “managed payment” thing and then they messed with the searches in comics. 

Live shows are back now. I much prefer dealing with live people who I can persuade to buy. No mailing, no fees and all cash sales. People have been hungry for them so sales have been real good. 

I’ve tried to create a name on Instagram to me the hardest part is 

you have to be constantly putting out product (posts) and they have to be of high content

the landscape is vast and it’s hard to make a name for yourself

Elite_comics11 is fantastic at this 

Just now, jsilverjanet said:

you have to be constantly putting out product (posts) and they have to be of high content

I will say that I do think my content on Instagram has helped my eBay sales 

Since the pandemic, I have started using Facebook to auction off books and list books, usually on various Canadian related comic buying/selling/trading groups. I have found stuff sells fast and love it. No fees, no hassle and 99% of the people in the groups I am in are trusted buyers and sellers. If I want to move filler issues and the like, this is my go to.

If I have a more valuable book, I have banked up a handful of Canadian buyers who I reach out to. In addition, I use the boards here, especially if it is something more unique. I used to do the occasional sale on Instagram, but since I wasn't someone always selling on there, it was hard to get people interested in buying (I don't have a ton of followers or at least not the thousands that some people have which means their stuff sells quick)

I only use Ebay to buy now and I rarely even use it for that...

11 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

So do you post up the same books on Instagram as you have up on E-Bay?  It is tough enough to keep track of the books on E-Bay let along keep stuff separate or mark stuff sold if they sell on Instagram.  My vision of Instagram is biased by my experience on Facebook where everyone wants to trade or get a screaming deal.

I tried Amazon and did very well with hot sets like Infinity War 1-6 of Venom Lethal 1-6 but it seems to be really tough to sell individual books so I decided to concentrate on my E-Bay store and occasionally sell sets or TPBs on Amazon. 

40 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Since the pandemic, I have started using Facebook to auction off books and list books, usually on various Canadian related comic buying/selling/trading groups. I have found stuff sells fast and love it. No fees, no hassle and 99% of the people in the groups I am in are trusted buyers and sellers. If I want to move filler issues and the like, this is my go to.

If I have a more valuable book, I have banked up a handful of Canadian buyers who I reach out to. In addition, I use the boards here, especially if it is something more unique. I used to do the occasional sale on Instagram, but since I wasn't someone always selling on there, it was hard to get people interested in buying (I don't have a ton of followers or at least not the thousands that some people have which means their stuff sells quick)

I only use Ebay to buy now and I rarely even use it for that...

Get on IG...simple to use and a large comic community presence