• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MORTAL KOMBAT LEGENDS: BATTLE OF THE REALMS animated movie (2021)

29 posts in this topic

Mortal Kombat Legends Sequel Announced

A sequel to Mortal Kombat Legends -- dubbed Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle of the Realms -- has been announced. Details on the sequel are currently a bit scarce, but we know Joel McHale is returning as Johnny Cage, and Jennifer Carpenter is returning as Sonya Blade. In addition to this, the following actors are returning as the following characters: Jordan Rodrigues as Liu Kang, Patrick Seitz as Scorpion & Hanzo Hasash, Dave B. Mitchell as Raiden, Kintaro, and Sektor, Grey Griffin as Kitana, Satoshi Hasashi & Mileena, Fred Tatasciore as Shao Kahn, Ike Amadi as Jax Briggs & One Being, Artt Butler as Shang Tsung & Cyrax, and Robin Atkin Downes as Shinnok & Reiko.

Meanwhile, in addition to returning talent, the sequel is also adding talent in the form of Matthew Mercer, who will play Stryker and Smoke. Joining Mecer is Bayardo De Murguia as Sub-Zero and Kuai Liang, Emily O’Brien as Jade, Debra Wilson as D’Vorah, Matt Yang King as Kung Lao, and Paul Nakauchi as Lin Kuei Grandmaster.

Beyond the acting talent, we know Ethan Spaulding will direct the movie. Spaulding was the director of the first movie. Joining Spaulding is Jeremy Adams (screenwriter), Rick Morales and Jim Krieg (producers), and Sam Register (executive producer).

Like the first movie, Ed Boon is on the project as a creative consultant. Boon is the co-creator of Mortal Kombat. The series' other creator, John Tobias, is not involved.

Edited by Bosco685

It's out for Americans on August 31,and the cover is featured on Ed Boon's Twitter (at)noobde. 

Psst @Bosco685 no hurry or anything mate, but could you please update the title to reflect the release date for any people scrolling through? It'd be nice to catch the attention of anyone scrolling through who enjoyed the live-action movie and wants more MK. 

First trailer is out, and we're definitely going deeper into the roster this time round. 

Edited by Mecha_Fantastic

Small update. Looks like parity is being kept this time around. The Australian release date is the 1/9, so it's likely within a day or two of the 31/8 US date in your area too, if you're international, so check your local media dealer. 

Sweet. I've been sick as a dog (a sick dog, I guess?) so I haven't checked if it's available yet on the Xbox Store, which was the best place to get the first one earliest over here. My physical copy is on the way to me, but due to certain circumstances, I won't get a hold of that myself for several weeks, so it's a battle to see if I can wait it out, or if i snap and just buy a digital copy too.

On 9/3/2021 at 4:15 AM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Sweet. I've been sick as a dog (a sick dog, I guess?) so I haven't checked if it's available yet on the Xbox Store, which was the best place to get the first one earliest over here. My physical copy is on the way to me, but due to certain circumstances, I won't get a hold of that myself for several weeks, so it's a battle to see if I can wait it out, or if i snap and just buy a digital copy too.

:(

Sorry to hear this.

:foryou:

Battle of the Realms functions as a solid sequel to Scorpion’s Revenge, but honestly newcomers could easily jump into this chapter without being too lost. Whereas the initial film provided a deep-dive into Scorpion’s backstory, Battle of the Realms belongs to Liu Kang. As someone who has never counted Liu Kang as a go-to character in my history with the games, this film provides the most compelling reason for why I should give him more consideration in the future. The film opens with a flashback to a group of Baraka-esque creatures brutally killing baby Liu Kang’s parents before being rescued by Raiden. This goes towards laying the necessary foundation for the emotional arc of this journey. The film does not lack when it comes to other fan favorites, but the dynamic between Liu Kang and Raiden is given an extra spotlight that pays off in the end. 

Final Thoughts

Mortal Kombat Legends: Battle Of The Realms is a real blast for fans of the franchise. The series is just as creative in its brutality as its first time at bat, and the narrative is expanded in a way that has the feature bursting at the seams with content. There is a clear sense that the creative team are big fans of the material which allows them to showcase many of the things they most want to see. Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has released a 4K UHD Blu-Ray featuring a stellar A/V presentation and a few interesting special features. Be sure to listen to the commentary track for some great background details on the film that will make you appreciate it even more. If you enjoyed the first entry in the series, you are sure to love this, as well.

Highly Recommended 

:banana:

On 9/3/2021 at 11:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

:(

Sorry to hear this.

:foryou:

Cheers, mate. Just one of those things when you have a chronic illness. 

That review has me hyped. I'm surprised at Stryker's inclusion. I guess they need cannon fodder. So help me if they make a habit of killing Kung Lao. He dies, I riot. :devil:

Small spoiler on a possible character appearance: looks like I got what I want! Skarlet is credited in the end credits (slightly misspelled as 'Skarlett' but we'll ignore that, as they also got Liu Kang wrong, 'Lui') with dialogue, so hopefully that's made it to the final film intact, and she's got her MK11 Blood Magik look, or something along those lines, rather than the desert disguise. Can't wait to find out! 

On 9/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, Namtak said:

Better than first  scorpion movie but the ending god fight is mhe too much too weird a little like the last lui kang battle in annihilation movie.....dragonwise clumsy as can be.......

I hope to see this soon. Hopefully I have a more positive reaction to the ending.

:popcorn:

Minor Character Cast Spoilers Ahead. Apparently, despite the end credits, Skarlet is NOT in the film. That's disappointing. Hopefully she makes it into the next film, if we get to turn this into a trilogy.

This isn't such a surprise, seeing as other ghost characters are listed (and a few misspellings), admittedly a carryover from the first film, which also suffered from the same poor editing.