• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bags and boards

5 posts in this topic

I'm a new collector, and I'm starting out my collection by just picking up some comics that are super nostalgic from my childhood. Nonetheless, some are pretty valuable (but not worth grading). That being said, I'm looking for two different recommendations:

1. Is there a best brand for bag-and-board combos, for the higher-value comics?
  2. Is there a best brand for bags without boards, specifically ones without any sort of tape, for the lower-value comics?
Edited by Crayder

On 6/20/2021 at 12:26 PM, Crayder said:

I'm a new collector, and I'm starting out my collection by just picking up some comics that are super nostalgic from my childhood. Nonetheless, some are pretty valuable (but not worth grading). That being said, I'm looking for two different recommendations:

1. Is there a best brand for bag-and-board combos, for the higher-value comics?
  2. Is there a best brand for bags without boards, specifically ones without any sort of tape, for the lower-value comics?

Boards are not expensive, I would recommend using boards for every book weather they are stored in Mylar or Poly to help prevent damage.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, Browns81 said:

Have there been major improvements in bag design or are my old bags from the 80s and 90s still good enough?

If you are referring to Mylar Bags (Mylites), they are good forever.

If you are referring to Poly Bags, they should be replaced every 5 years due to the chemical breakdown of the bag which can/will damage the book it is intended to protect, if you have poly bags from the 80's/90s I would not recommend using them, new Poly bags are not expensive and you can get Poly bags that are resealable which eliminates the need for tape.