• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green qualified label, want to resubmit for blue

8 posts in this topic

I have a green qualified label slab that I'd like to resubmit for a blue universal label.  It has an auto on it that CGC didn't witness, hence the green label.  What's the process for me to resubmit this slab?  Do I send the whole slab into CGC?...or do I have to open it first?  Do I have to have the issue regraded as well, or should I submit this under the "reholder" submission option?  Thank you!

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, if the book was signed on the cover and that signature was not witnessed by an authorized CGC witness, it will receive a qualified label and a universal label is not an option. 

Thank you,

3 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message.  Unfortunately, if the book was signed on the cover and that signature was not witnessed by an authorized CGC witness, it will receive a qualified label and a universal label is not an option. 

Thank you,

Everything that I have read on these boards up until this comment states that you can request a Universal Label and the unwitnessed signature will be treated as a flaw with a subsequent decrease in the grade but the book can receive the Blue Label. 

6 hours ago, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thank you,

Jennifer,

I appreciate you response.  I understand that this issue would never qualify for signature series.  Cynthia Richie from CGC support has replied to me in the past saying that I can request a blue label on any issue, and the grader at their discretion can assign a blue label.  I've done this in the past many times and always received a blue label.  

When I originally sent this issue in, that was before I became aware that I could request for a blue label, so I didn't request it and was given a green label.  Now that I am aware of the option to request a blue label, what would that procedure look like for this green label slabbed issue?  Do I send the whole slab in?  Or should I crack it open before sending to CGC?  When filling out the submission form, do I select the "reholder" option?  Or do I have to submit again for grading under one of those options?  Thank you!

• Administrator

Hi,  I checked with our graders to see what they advise on this situation.  In most cases, the unwitnessed signature will get a qualified label. The graders said you can request a universal label, but there is no guarantee that it will receive one. This is not a guaranteed service and is solely at the graders' discretion.  It would also significantly drop the grade if they did decide to give it a universal label (the example given was if a book was a 9.8 but we treated the signature as a defect, it would possibly go down to an 8.0). 

Thank you!   

6 minutes ago, Jennifer F. said:

Hi,  I checked with our graders to see what they advise on this situation.  In most cases, the unwitnessed signature will get a qualified label. The graders said you can request a universal label, but there is no guarantee that it will receive one. This is not a guaranteed service and is solely at the graders' discretion.  It would also significantly drop the grade if they did decide to give it a universal label (the example given was if a book was a 9.8 but we treated the signature as a defect, it would possibly go down to an 8.0). 

Thank you!   

Jennifer, I really appreciate your follow up!  

Can you answer my questions on the procedures on resubmitting this slab and requesting a blue label?  Do I crack open the slab before sending it to CGC?  When going through the submission form, do I submit this under the "reholder" option?  Thank you!

• Administrator

Hello, please keep it in the original holder and we can crack it out here.  When you submit it, you can note on the packing slip and also attach a post-it note to the holder stating your preference for a Universal label.  However, it would have to be regraded, in this case and not just a reholder, as the grade will change once we incorporate the signature in as a defect.  

Thank you!

On 6/29/2021 at 11:53 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Hello, please keep it in the original holder and we can crack it out here.  When you submit it, you can note on the packing slip and also attach a post-it note to the holder stating your preference for a Universal label.  However, it would have to be regraded, in this case and not just a reholder, as the grade will change once we incorporate the signature in as a defect.  

Thank you!

Jennifer, thank you so much for your follow up!  This is exactly the information I needed