• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first Flip Cover comic book printed? Help me oh wise ones, you're my only hope.

28 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I don't doubt it but Is there a picture of the back cover? Google search only comes up with this one. Do the Golden age ones have price, #, title on the back cover, and do they read from the back cover as well as the front?

download.jpeg

The back cover is an advertisement for Daisy BB guns. 

Famous Funnies #52 (Eastern Color, 1938) Condition VG. Buck Rogers  Lot #16245  Heritage Auctions.png

Edited by steveinthecity

6 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

Four Color #259 (Dell -1949) 

images from H.A.

Four Color #259 (Dell, 1949). Two books in one! Santa and the  Lot #30438  Heritage Auctions.png

Four Color #259 (Dell, 1949).  2.png

As The Beyonder said, FTW! I spoke too soon regarding Zap #3, this one is the earliest so far. Somehow it's also even more surprising than the others lol

12 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

Zap #4 is kinda the 1st example... flipped and read (somewhat) right to left from back cover where the Moscoso stories meet.

Zap #3 is the 2nd example, read left to right and then flipped upside-down read left to right. Or the other way. Same for Zap #15. 

While Crumb did have the first #0 issue c 1968, I imagine there must be a FEW examples of flipbooks older than 1968 (Ala the Dell above)

Thanks for breaking this down! It's pretty interesting to me that someone at Dell wanted to make it in flip book format, and makes me want to find these other few examples that are out there! I Might have to pick up that Dell and Zap #3 lol. 

On 6/29/2021 at 12:14 PM, aardvark88 said:

Correction: FF #54 Jan, 1939 2 covers but not a flip book inside.

pKGFZtj.jpg

This is pretty cool, it's so old!

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Obviously not the first one but an unusual one I ran into.

comromanticmarriage10a.jpg

comromanticmarriage10b.jpg

haha an interesting one. Looks like two covers for the same story, though it's hard to tell lol