• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not home for Fed-X 3rd delivery attempt-What now?

8 posts in this topic

I closed my business last June due to Covid so this will be the first shipment I’ve tried to get at home. FedEx text said it would be delivered tomorrow, Monday, but two attempts were made today, Sunday, and I’m not home tomorrow. When I go online to FedEx it says signature is required but it has to be at the delivery address (my residence) or they will send it back. It also says they can’t change the delivery address OR hold it at the FED-X pick up facility because of the shippers instructions.  That doesn't sound logical but thats what it says. Hope Im reading it wrong. I dont want it returned to CGC.  What now? 

My experience is that they don't ask for a signature, BUT I've been home.  In this day and age, no one wants a valuable package left on the doorstep for any length of time.  We just had a woman get her delivered air conditioner stolen within 90 seconds of it's arrival.  I agree with marvelmaniac that you might be able to have a friend or trusted neighbor claim it for you.

Be lucky that they are asking for a signature and set up a lawn chair on your front lawn with a cooler waiting for the package. 

At my parent's route they are STILL signing themselves and leaving the packages anywhere they feel like whether it is at the correct address or not.  AGAIN my parents neighbors received their package.   I always say the worst was the driver signing for and delivering Superman 3 to the wrong address but the real worst was signing for my dad's medication and leaving it at another house. 

I do not trust FedEx delivery texts. My first delivery went like this. Several months ago I got a text saying my CBCS pkg would be delivered Sunday. Than a couple days after that another text saying Monday. Well. It came on Sunday and they didn’t deliver cause I wasnt home to sign. I missed the Monday delivery attempt because I had a doctors appointment, (was gone two hours) and got a third and final delivery attempt notice for Tuesday. Sooooo, I waited at home all day Tuesday and It came about 4 PM. As I was signing for it I asked the driver what would have happened if I wasnt home for this 3rd attempt. Is that it would be returned to the shipper. I asked if they would hold it at FedEx if I called and he said no because it needs a signature. That’s my story

On 8/31/2021 at 10:11 AM, Popcultureguy said:

I do not trust FedEx delivery texts. My first delivery went like this. Several months ago I got a text saying my CBCS pkg would be delivered Sunday. Than a couple days after that another text saying Monday. Well. It came on Sunday and they didn’t deliver cause I wasnt home to sign. I missed the Monday delivery attempt because I had a doctors appointment, (was gone two hours) and got a third and final delivery attempt notice for Tuesday. Sooooo, I waited at home all day Tuesday and It came about 4 PM. As I was signing for it I asked the driver what would have happened if I wasnt home for this 3rd attempt. Is that it would be returned to the shipper. I asked if they would hold it at FedEx if I called and he said no because it needs a signature. That’s my story

This just makes zero sense from a business perspective.  Yes, let's waste the space and cost to attempt three deliveries, only to then send the item back to the original sender. Why let the package get routed to the local FedEx Store so that the recipient can sign for it at their convenience?  That would make far too much sense!

My worst shipping experiences have been with FedEx, hands down, but I was lucky with my last ComicLink shipment (an ASM 129).  I sent my check to CLink with a very nice note asking them to contact me to confirm my shipping address before mailing since I usually have stuff shipped to the office, but the office is about to move.  This was interpreted as "don't do what I asked, just FedEx the item to my ex-wife's house."  That address isn't even in my user profile.  (shrug)  

Fortunately I was able to have it held for pickup and got the book without issue.  So, credit to FedEx where due.

Different circumstances, but I recently had a USPS registered delivery where the "first attempt" and "notice left" was texted to me while I was sitting enjoying my morning coffee and looking out the front windows into the driveway.  Went out and snooped around the front door and mailbox - no package, no notice.  Since it was a big book, I decided I'd run up to the local Post Office which is only 1/2 mile away.  There it was.  The "notice" was delivered with my regular mail in the afternoon.

I'd strongly encourage pro-activity, no matter how something is shipped.