• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seduction of the Innocent, an inexpensive one. The book that almost killed American comic books.
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Seduction of the Innocent, by Dr. Fredric Wertham, the book that nearly killed the entire US comic book industry.

First up is a low-grade second print of SOTI.  Here's the lower of the two copies I have available. 

The first print of SOTI came out in April, 1954; the second print dates to either 1954 or 1955, but I have been unable to find an exact date for it.  You can distinguish a second print by the absence of the "R" colophon on the publication page.  This copy does not have the original bibliography, so I have included a photocopy of the bibliography for your reference.  

Originally, all first and second printings were printed with a bibliography page (pp. 399-400).  However, the book's publisher (Rinehart) buckled to pressure from comic book publishers who demanded the removal of the bibliography.  So the bibliography was physically sliced out of almost all copies prior to distribution.  A few copies with the bibliography did make it out, but most are like this: there's a stub at p. 399 where the bibliography used to be.

Condition:  All typical pages are present, including all 16 of the illustration pages in the center of the book.  That's the good news.  But other than that, it's a pretty low grade copy.  Tape on the spine, some soling but no interior writing.  Some spine breakage, and a tear to the interior bc.  See the photos for details.  

The dust jacket is a reproduction.  If you don't want the repro dust jacket, just let me know and I'll knock $25 off the price (my cost for the repro).

$100 shipped in the US.

Payment via PayPal.  US shipping only (included).

Returns accepted within 10 days.

No HOS or probationites.

:takeit: in the thread trumps any negotiations.

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2614.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2618.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2622 (1).jpg

Edited by SOTIcollector
Fixed last pic.