• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC bought by Blackstone- and now the panic, what next? HA?
2 2

40 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, vodou said:

Be prepared for: You Didn’t Build That...CGC did, and all that follows from that line of reasoning.

Is this an attempt to reference and give shade to the "...you didn't build that..." argument in which people sometimes point out that things like roads and other infrastructure, subsidies, laws and courts and military and police protection make it possible for things to be built by making it safe and economical to do so?  And, if so... why?  (not to mention how tf does it supposedly apply to this topic?)  "No politics on this board" is something agreed to and practiced by 99.9% of the folk who are on it.  Hoping this is not an attempt to inject something obliquely as that would no less undermine and flout fellow boardies who respect the rule.   

12 hours ago, shadroch said:

For $100, you can now be a part owner of CGC.    Life is good.

Members can sell all their comics and buy tons of shares and become activist investors and insist upon their opinion on how CGC should be ran!

E80BB00A-68AB-4886-BF1A-88EE334397A2.jpeg

Edited by Mephisto

On 7/2/2021 at 1:04 AM, O. said:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/9253/

Mark Salzberg, founder of CCG, said: “When I established CCG, I had a vision that we would transform collectibles into an asset class that is trusted by collectors, dealers and investors around the world."

Here we are.

EE5C7296-BF87-452C-B585-BA15E54D7528.gif

Edited by Terry_JSA

5 hours ago, vodou said:

:signfunny:

Close, but not quite...

071_1000.jpg

Hope he’s not watching The Dealmakers. 

1 hour ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

Sir, the naked selfies at work thread is in Comics General. 

On 7/2/2021 at 12:14 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Blackstone bought CGC, which also includes this here message board, and the natives are F R E A K I N G  O U T.  I don't care too too much, but what if Blackstone or some other VC set there sights on HA? Now that would be interesting....hm

I would be surprised if any company with a sizable collectibles presence *hasn't* been at least approached by financial interests in the current environment. 

On 7/3/2021 at 12:29 PM, vodou said:

Horse Dead GIF - Horse Dead Beating - Discover & Share GIFs

Sometimes when a guy accuses people of beating a dead horse you gotta point out that the guy posting the gif is the one who keeps draggin' that horse into place it is not supposed to be.  

Edited by bluechip

On 7/6/2021 at 10:06 AM, delekkerste said:

I would be surprised if any company with a sizable collectibles presence *hasn't* been at least approached by financial interests in the current environment. 

I can't imagine what HA must be worth on the open market today?    I'd love to see the financials to get some feel for it.    Has to be some number well into 9 digits I imagine.  

Edited by Bronty

10 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I can't imagine what HA must be worth on the open market today?    I'd love to see those financials.    Has to be some number well into 9 digits I imagine.  

There are certainly assets. But we accountants (types if not in actual professional) know there are also and almost always liabilities (especially in this "rate environment"), leverage, against those assets. That awesome new building (campus?) near the airport, buying PIH, advances (lending) to consignors and other financial schemes...there's going to be a lot under the hood for both columns of the ledger.

In no way am I suggesting HA has any financial problems, just mentioning what wasn't mentioned.

24 minutes ago, vodou said:

There are certainly assets. But we accountants (types if not in actual professional) know there are also and almost always liabilities (especially in this "rate environment"), leverage, against those assets. That awesome new building (campus?) near the airport, buying PIH, advances (lending) to consignors and other financial schemes...there's going to be a lot under the hood for both columns of the ledger.

In no way am I suggesting HA has any financial problems, just mentioning what wasn't mentioned.

Sure.   And the billion in sales I suspect is the gross number, meaning if their take is 25% on average it’s really 250m, and that’s before expenses.   So what’s the bottom line number, annually?   50, 100 if lucky ? Non the less in the current environment and market for collectibles based companies that’s probably worth a fortune.

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

I can't imagine what HA must be worth on the open market today?    I'd love to see the financials to get some feel for it.    Has to be some number well into 9 digits I imagine.  

There are no publicly traded auction houses left for a direct comp, with Sotheby's selling for $3.7 billion in 2019. 

I'd love to see the financials as well...my first take is that I'd be surprised if the equity in HA wouldn't be worth at least mid-nine figures were it public. They'd really have to have some warts on their financials or have a skewed capital structure to be worth less.

Edited by Legion of Goom

6 hours ago, Legion of Goom said:

There are no publicly traded auction houses left for a direct comp, with Sotheby's selling for $3.7 billion in 2019. 

I'd love to see the financials as well...my first take is that I'd be surprised if the equity in HA wouldn't be worth at least mid-nine figures were it public. They'd really have to have some warts on their financials or have a skewed capital structure to be worth less.

Oh yes they must be printing money. You hear that Blackstone?