• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are we looking at a slab crash?

72 posts in this topic

I think they might.

I'm thinking of all those "$20 Fines" we have to sell for $8.

If the guide dropped to $10 I think I could still get about $8 for a nice 6.0 Thor in the 130-160s on eBay.

The guide is inflated to protect dealers.

They can have a "Half Book" sale and still sell at slightly over fair market value.

poke2.gif

I hear you, but I just can't see it happening. The prices of HG books start falling, so in response people start paying MORE for non-HG books? It has NEVER happened that way in the past, and I doubt it will in the future, because of the collector mentality.

This is undoubtedly an elitist assumption on my part, but I don't think most collectors who buy lower grade books do so because they love and covet comics that have lots of wear and tear. It's usually driven by cost, and what they can reasonably afford. Even the most avowed mid-grade and low-grade collectors on these boards are constantly on the prowl for upgrades, if the price is right. If HG prices plunge and start becoming affordable for these currently lower grade collectors, then lower grade comics have to compete for their dollars, and the only way they're going to be able to do that is by being priced even cheaper.

Yes, upgrades are wheels that are always in motion! devil.gif

But only so far.

Once I get a certain level on a book (VGF early Silver, VF late Silver, NM- Bronze) I stop upgrading. Anything higher isn't a reading copy anymore. It's an "investment piece". smirk.gif

this is just a thought...suppose the majority of HG collectors assume that the market will now be soft due to the latest fiasco and decide not to hastily dump their books to escape a crash thereby making these scarce items even more unobtainable than ever.this would cause the collectors who don't even know about the scandal and those who don't even care to have even more trouble satisfying their collecting urges.this could cause the value of the witheld items to increase or at least find a stable level(which the market may very well be due for anyway...it IS approaching seven years of CGC).i get the impression from many of you that you enjoy these books on something far more profound than a mere speculative level.you folks have the museum pieces.the rest of the world does not.if the market crashes it will be a result of your actions now.even if none of you do more than recoup your investment what other hobbies will give you that?you could have

blown all your discretionary money at the roulette table.a healthy market is cyclic in nature.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

p.s.is it just me or is golden age starting to look cheap again?

this is just a thought...suppose the majority of HG collectors assume that the market will now be soft due to the latest fiasco and decide not to hastily dump their books to escape a crash thereby making these scarce items even more unobtainable than ever.this would cause the collectors who don't even know about the scandal and those who don't even care to have even more trouble satisfying their collecting urges.this could cause the value of the witheld items to increase or at least find a stable level(which the market may very well be due for anyway...it IS approaching seven years of CGC).i get the impression from many of you that you enjoy these books on something far more profound than a mere speculative level.you folks have the museum pieces.the rest of the world does not.if the market crashes it will be a result of your actions now.even if none of you do more than recoup your investment what other hobbies will give you that?you could have

blown all your discretionary money at the roulette table.a healthy market is cyclic in nature.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)

p.s.is it just me or is golden age starting to look cheap again?

Is it just me or is this paragraph missing a LOT of punctuation? 27_laughing.gif

Didn't see any effect of a crash in ComicLink's No Reserve Auction. DC's went for strong prices and ASM's in CGC 9.6 are still hot.
Saw the same thing myself! I don't see a market crash, but as in any market there is always corrections. And the extreme high end silver was probably going to go through this anyways. Jason and JP getting out helped move that along faster. You might even see some of the extreme high end people start to buy up the lower end for them) 9.4s of important , but not major keys. They may even diversify their portfolio, by moving money into things like War, Western's Horror etc.. Yes the short term investors will always leave when they sense weakening, but they always miss out at the begining of a rally. Happens in stocks, bonds and all forms of collectibles. The market will survive, it might be a little different for awhile, but it will be there. Unless of course it is discovered that Steve B. was in a secret partnership with Jason. I'd only get worried if I saw Steve trying to sell a CGC ASM #1 on QVC and they had 200 copies of it, and they were blasting them out for 4 easy payments of $250! 893whatthe.gif

"But the guide is way too high for mid grade post 1964.

I have to pray for half guide when I sell and normally go down to 40% when selling to my repeat custoners."

If you take into account the average overgrade of 1/2 to one full grade by the average overstreet advisor, then perhaps the prices are not so far off. sure, YOU have to discount 50% to sell that Fine and so does the advisor, but the advisor is, in fact, selling a VG book, so they're really getting guide.

of course, i'm talking about the AVERAGE of people who report to OPG...