• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

boston comic show: market report

15 posts in this topic

The boston comic show needs an influx of new dealers and collectors selling their books. Although the show seems to be sold out in terms of tables, the amount of quality books are few.

As usual Ted and Bob both had some killer books: Ted had a really nice B&B #57 and a ASM #4...Bob had a beautiful FF #12 (cgc 8.5) and ASM #5 (cgc 8.5) as well as some really nice GA Caps.....

I chatted with Bob a bit about his Hulk #162 and other books, web sites and forum stuff. Catch Bob on a good day and he is alot of fun.

Hulks,ASM and XMEN books seem to be the most requested.....

I did see a sale involving some Green Lanterns and a Silver Surfer #3/Byrne XMEN books for decent $. The rest of the dealers had mainly new books and VF or below books. Needless to say I walked out (again) without any new books (and I was there early). mad.gif

I did meet and chat with Ed McGuinness and he did a great head shot sketch of Batman for me...and get this..for FREE. Nice guy. grin.gif

The boston comic show needs an influx of new dealers and collectors selling their books. Although the show seems to be sold out in terms of tables, the amount of quality books are few.

What would you consider to be quality book? In other words, what is the criteria that need to be met for you to consider a book to be of high quality? High grade and high book value? tongue.gif

I chatted with Bob a bit about his Hulk #162 and other books, web sites and forum stuff. Catch Bob on a good day and he is alot of fun.

I've heard good things about the Blazing one. wink.gif I only wish he had more free time to post here. I'm sure he could provide some interesting insights.

The rest of the dealers had mainly new books and VF or below books.

Hey now, there's nothing wrong with a Very Fine book, 8.0 out of 10.0 on the grading scale is still up there on the higher end. Of course it might depend on who's Very Fine we are talking about too! tongue.gif

Needless to say I walked out (again) without any new books (and I was there early). mad.gif

I wouldn't feel too bad if I were you, I've NEVER attended a major comic show, mainly because I live in a rural area about 3 or 4 hours from a major city. I'm not involved in the business end of the comic industry, so I cannot justify the time, gasoline, lodging for a night or two, or other fees associated with attending a major show. Although, I would be tempted, if I found out about a show where most of my favorite writers/artists were to attend. tongue.gif

these are replies to all:

1. bob has lots o connections so it is interesting to get his take.

2. sure VF is a solid grade but not for bronze or most late silver. I did not see too many pre 65 VFs.....grades were less. Bob had some nice certified 8.0s and 8.5s but that was about it. Teddy too had some nice VFs including a nice ASM #4 as well as others. Ted's AS m#14 that he said was "killer" had sold the day b4 as well as his GL #59. the remaning dealers' VFs were non-key issues. I did see a slabbed Hulk #181 in 7.0 ctowp for around the $350 mark.

3. VF prices were reasonable for the run of the mill stuff but keys were nowhere to be found for early sivler. Lots of bronze in that grade but that was about it.

needs an infusion of new dealers or collectors selling their books. With the addition of records,CDs, etc there seems to be more traffic but the "quality" of books isn't there except for a select few dealers. The show at the Bayside Expo was not that great this year either. I still try to go and support the show and I got a nice sketch from Mcguinness so it was not a total loss but walked out of there with nada.....

The problem with the Boston show is as follows:

1). Many dealers have given up doing the show because there is little "money" in the room. Sorry if this comes off as condescending but I have tried a number of different approaches to Boston. Only Marvel stock, Marvel Stock, 25% off DC collection of VF's to VF+, Marvel only, Killer high grade collection, Marvel collection, CGC combination. In all cases I've gotten the same type of lookers. Where are the people that buy stacks and runs? Everybody wants the same issue, same high grade for no money. Gee, If I brought the following books to every show I would do great

AF #15 every grade for every price range

AS #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 28, 39, 40, 41, 50, 63, Annual #1

Brave & The Bold #28

DD #1, 7

Detective #400

FF #1, 5, 12, 13, 25 Every grade, every price I can think of

GL #1, 76 - NM for guide!

Hulk #1 all grades, all prices

JIM #83, 109, 112

Justice League #1

ShowCase #22

Tales to Astonish #57, 59, 60

TOS #49, 52, 57

X-Men #1, 4, 5, 6, 12

Golden age collectors are not very prevalent at the show and ultimately I get the following - Oh, I'm looking for Timely's but those are in high grade. If I had low grade copies I would get - Oh, I'm looking for Timely's but those are in low grade. I have heard other dealers state this - No matter how long they have been looking for a book, you can show them your copy and it just won't be what they are looking for. You are either too expensive or they just don't expect to see the book and didn't bring the money. I'm sorry, my business is name is HIGHGRADECOMICS.com, not LOWGRADECOMICS.com.

On the plus side I have met a number of great customers over the years and a show is not based on just what you sell. I have bought a number of great books at the show and customers do order books off the website once they see my selection and grading.

Bottom Line: Though you may not want to hear it dealers come to shows to make money, not chat about the Thing being stronger than the Hulk. I can stay home and do that on the phone without having to drive 4 hours back and forth.

laugh.gif

What does this say about Boston area collectors? I think everyone just seems to be looking for the Almighty Flip, moreso now than ever before? But if Bob's correcet about the New England attitudes and buying trends, I agree that Boston con should be best left to the local dealers and have them "import" the needed books to satisfy the clientele and pass the cost on.

It seems that the Boston Con is a no-win situation from Bob's comments: dealers can't go as low as buyers want and make any profit. Good point - what incentive is there for sellers to do Boston?

I also don't see too many "new" guys selling their collections or parts of their collections anymore. Back in the day, there used to be several new guys every show. Not anymore. If not for you and Ted (and that guy in the middle room), there isn't a high grade key book in the room IMO.

Bob,

That is sad to hear. Until I moved in 1999, I went to literally every Boston show - and always came away with 30-50 Atom Age and pre-hero Marvel books. A real rush. Even when I was specializing in Atlas-only would come away with 30-50 books. GA was avaialble from many dealers and in all grades. Sounds like the show just ain't what it used to be. If you were around in the 1999 and before days then we probably have done business.

I'm with you on this opinion Bob, I usually just pay my way in

to a show nowadays, and do my best to "network". That seems

to be what the buzz word is now. Shows here in Houston haven't

been squat for the last 10 years. Table prices went from $10 to

$100, there used to be a contract written rule for nothing from the

past 10 years, and we used to cherry pick the "newbie" dealer

while he was setting up. Viscious, well....yeah... but to a certain

extent it was a right of passage. Sometime back in the mid '80's

the EC market took off, and while I was pi##-anting the long boxes

from the truck, she cut her first deal, and sold ALL the HOF's for

a buck a piece. To this day I've never told her what she'd done.

$30 for $450.....