• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value Predictions Down the Line?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I was thinking about the scenario "If you could only keep one comic, which would it be?" and it eventually morphed into "Which comic do you think will be most valuable in say, 20-30 years?" I'm thinking mostly books from Copper Age on, as many books before that have jumped in value already. So, if you had to predict a book that you'd want in 30 years, which would it be? 

3 hours ago, heyyybrotherrr said:

I was thinking about the scenario "If you could only keep one comic, which would it be?" and it eventually morphed into "Which comic do you think will be most valuable in say, 20-30 years?" I'm thinking mostly books from Copper Age on, as many books before that have jumped in value already. So, if you had to predict a book that you'd want in 30 years, which would it be? 

It's easy to predict the most valuable book 30 years from now.  Action #1.  It will always be the book that started the superhero craze and cemented comic books as one of the most successful publishing phenomena in history.  It is the beginning of America's mythology.

However, based on your suggestion to eliminate books that have already jumped in value, it sounds like you're looking for the book that is likely to have the highest percentage increase in the next 30 years.  Something that is worth very little now, but will be highly treasured and sought-after in three decades. 

If history is any kind of guide at all, the things that won't increase dramatically over the next 30 years will be the limited-edition variant covers of any type.  The real money will be in the things that collectors have an emotional attachment to.

To figure that one out, you'll want to look at what "kids these days" are into, and predict which of those will have 30-year staying power.  (My guess is that it won't be a comic book, but you asked specifically about comic books.)  If you had predicted 50 years ago that Amazing Spider-man had staying power,  you'd have done pretty well.  If you had predicted 30 years ago that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had staying power, you might be sitting on some pretty valuable books.  So if you can figure out what kids (and by that, I'm referring to anybody between the ages of six and 25, because when you're old you can get away with calling them all "kids") these days are into, then you're halfway there.  Then if you can figure out what has staying power, you've got the answer.  Since I'm clueless about what kids these days like, I'll ask you.  What are kids these days into?  What do you think has staying power?  What will these kids be buying three decades from now when a number of them have become stockbrokers and neurosurgeons and, well, dentists?

30 years from now there will be 2/3 less collectors.....I can't imagine any copper age book approaching silver age values.......all those copper age books in mylars, mylites, slabs etc.......there will be more comics available then buyers......

8 hours ago, heyyybrotherrr said:

From copper age on I cant think of a better book than TMNT1

FF Annual 6 and/or Power Pack 1, as evident by the tremendous box office success of the Fantastic Pack movie franchise.

Also any comic featuring the 45Th President of the UsofA.