• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects EC original artwork?

78 posts in this topic

No. I am saving my pennies if Jim ever decides to sell the WS 16 by Wood or the WF 21 by Williamson/Frazetta.

Wood's cover to WEIRD SCIENCE # 16 is undoubtedly the most famous and should it surface on Heritage it'll be interesting to see how much that little beaut commands!

That said, I was taken aback by the hammer price on the # 14 cover . . . but then again, that's up there with Wood's best Science-Fiction cover images. The # 20 cover is another terrific one, but that sold via Allstar Auctions several years back.

Interestingly, we're not seeing much in the way of graham Ingels HAUNT OF FEAR covers surfacing nowadays. I'd consider the 'Ghastly' Horror covers on a par with Wood's Science-Fiction jobs - anyone else think so? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Personally I'm not very surprise on the infatuation around that cover, It's probably Wally's best EC-Sci-Fi cover. hail.gif

Large female character, Typical Space ship, Aquarium helmet and space uniform, one of Wood specialties large trees full of details + original stat for the title.

There is no proportion defects on that cover or a weird looking figure like the boldy head on the cover of WS20 or to many short cuts.

56K, well far more by 17K from WS9 sold on heritage in Feb 2004. A lot of money indeed, but this cover won't show up again until the new owner will pass away.

I wonder who were the bidders on this one, I'm one of them sorry.gif

Personally I'm not very surprise on the infatuation around that cover, It's probably Wally's best EC-Sci-Fi cover. hail.gif

Large female character, Typical Space ship, Aquarium helmet and space uniform, one of Wood specialties large trees full of details + original stat for the title.

There is no proportion defects on that cover or a weird looking figure like the boldy head on the cover of WS20 or to many short cuts.

56K, well far more by 17K from WS9 sold on heritage in Feb 2004. A lot of money indeed, but this cover won't show up again until the new owner will pass away.

I wonder who were the bidders on this one, I'm one of them sorry.gif

Weird-looking, baldy-headed characters . . . I know a few of those in real life, Fred! However, from a personal preference, I'd cite the cover art to WEIRD SCIENCE # 20 as my favourite Wood. WS # 16 is second on my list, with WS # 14 a close third (not that there's much between them). Runner up is WS # 15, followed by WS # 13.

Funnily enough, with the advent of WEIRD SIENCE-FANTASY, I find Wood's work became less illustrative and leaned more towards cartooning - it's likely that the humour work for Kurtzman's MAD began to have an effect on Wood's other work.

Interestingly, I noticed that Wood's cover to FRONTLINE COMBAT # 13 failed to find a buyer during the auction. It's a nice image, but the artist's (usual) attention to detail just isn't thereon that one - and that art looks a little rushed.

Thoughts, anyone?

TERRY DOYLE

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

Hi there

New in, this past hour, is Joe Orlando's original cover artwork to the EC Picto-Fiction magazine, CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1.

As well as the b&w line art, there are colour overlays with the cover.

I've uploaded two scans onto my CAF Galleries . . . the b&w line art, and the art with colour overlays in position.

I'll include an attachment here (click onto the attachment link in the subject heading), with both versions on my CAF link:

964301-IMG_0053.jpg.ba6c3e904af4617b28d0cbf45887e5f3.jpg

Hi there

New in, this past hour, is Joe Orlando's original cover artwork to the EC Picto-Fiction magazine, CRIME ILLUSTRATED # 1.

As well as the b&w line art, there are colour overlays with the cover.

I've uploaded two scans onto my CAF Galleries . . . the b&w line art, and the art with colour overlays in position.

I'll include an attachment here (click onto the attachment link in the subject heading), with both versions on my CAF link:

For some reason, I can't seem to post my attachment onto these main viewing pages! Can anyone out there transfer this attachment as an image for me? frustrated.gif

964301-IMG_0053.jpg

FYI, to add your pics to your post:

After you upload your image, click on attachment at the top of your post and copy the link. Go back to your post and click edit then under Instant UBB Code choose Image and paste your link to your book and hit OK. At the bottom, uncheck Mark as Edited? and I want to preview my modifications and add or edit an attachment. then hit "Change this post".

964301-IMG_0053.jpg

FYI, to add your pics to your post:

After you upload your image, click on attachment at the top of your post and copy the link. Go back to your post and click edit then under Instant UBB Code choose Image and paste your link to your book and hit OK. At the bottom, uncheck Mark as Edited? and I want to preview my modifications and add or edit an attachment. then hit "Change this post".

Thanks!