• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who else collects EC original artwork?

78 posts in this topic

A splendid collection you have on your gallery hail.gif

I was used to collect EC artwork back in the early 80's when Russ Cochran was doing all these incredible auctions, from France it was a little bit difficult as auctions where ending very late for us (2/3AM) and phone lines not as good as now.

I sold 90% of them in the 90's but still have some Wood & Williamson/Frazetta (NFS)

If by chance any collector has the cover to Two Fisted Tales # 20 signed to Fred by Kurtzman, it's me sorry.gif got it signed in an EC New York show in the 80's when Carbonaro sold me the cover to Fantastic Four annual 7 by Kirby for $ 150.00 893whatthe.gif but this one is gone too.

A splendid collection you have on your gallery hail.gif

I was used to collect EC artwork back in the early 80's when Russ Cochran was doing all these incredible auctions, from France it was a little bit difficult as auctions where ending very late for us (2/3AM) and phone lines not as good as now.

I sold 90% of them in the 90's but still have some Wood & Williamson/Frazetta (NFS)

If by chance any collector has the cover to Two Fisted Tales # 20 signed to Fred by Kurtzman, it's me sorry.gif got it signed in an EC New York show in the 80's when Carbonaro sold me the cover to Fantastic Four annual 7 by Kirby for $ 150.00 893whatthe.gif but this one is gone too.

Hi Fred

Back in the 80s I was collecting mainly complete EC stories from Cochran. All the story art's now gone as, nowadays, my interests have shifted towards cover examples. At one time I had several hundred pages of EC story art!

Funnily enough, an EC collector friend was recently offered your old TWO-FISTED TALES # 20 cover, but the asking price was pretty steep ($25,000 - Choke!, Gasp!, Spa Fon!, Squa Tront!).

If at all possible, can you post Wood and Williamson/Frazetta EC art? Love to see it!

Hi Terry,

We might have met at Paul's store in London, I remember selling him a few pages from "Precious years" by Wood, some Kurtzman pages from "Search" , Krigstein and Severin/Elden pages, just to mention.893whatthe.gif

I will post some scans later on tonight.

Hi Terry,

We might have met at Paul's store in London, I remember selling him a few pages from "Precious years" by Wood, some Kurtzman pages from "Search" , Krigstein and Severin/Elden pages, just to mention.893whatthe.gif

I will post some scans later on tonight.

Hi Fred

No, I doubt that we've met (fellow EC-fans tend to stick in my mind), though It sounds as if you're talking about paul Hudson of COMIC SHOWCASE that used to be situated on Neal Street in London.

I live several hundred miles away from London, so trips there are far and few between!

Last time I saw any artwork of note at Paul's shop was during the late 1980s. If memory serves me right, most of the American art was on consignment from Scott Dunbier.

Sorry for letting you wait, no time to scan & cut & paste, I'm doing my store web site on the notepad tonofbricks.gif

But I have this ready for you guys:

WSF23.jpg

From Weird Science Fantasy #23 page 5 27_laughing.gif

What was the caption . . . "ma'm you need a shave," perhaps???

I actually like em' unkempt,..but as everybody knows,..I am not a 'neat freak'.

Well, I was originally going to suggest the caption, "Ma'm, you could do with a trim," but trimming's a sensitive issue on these boards right now . . .

I have the last page to Severin's "Dien Bien Phu" from TFT # 40, and one Johnny Craig Crime Suspenstories story page. The odd thing is, they're different sizes: The Severin is 10 x 15, while the Craig is twice-up. I had no idea that anyone worked in the smaller size prior to the late sixties/early seventies.

I have the last page to Severin's "Dien Bien Phu" from TFT # 40, and one Johnny Craig Crime Suspenstories story page. The odd thing is, they're different sizes: The Severin is 10 x 15, while the Craig is twice-up. I had no idea that anyone worked in the smaller size prior to the late sixties/early seventies.

As far as I'm aware, with the advent of THE NEW TWO-FISTED TALES (after Kurtzman departed his Editorial position on the title), John Severin drew all his stories at this smaller size. Johnny Craig's later covers and stories for EC were illustrated small size. I'm pretty sure this was down to the artist's individual preference, rather than any Editorial directive. I used to own the lead story to MAD # 18, "Alice in Wonderland", by Jack Davis, which was another small size art job (probably one of only a few MAD stories drawn smaller than the usual 18" x 13" image size pages).

Size variation is not entirely uncommon in comics prior to the late 1960s/early 1970s period you mention . . .

My CAF Galleries at:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=1865

In my collection, I have about 13 EC covers. Wish I had more but the prices seem to have been driven into the stratosphere.

Off the top of my head:

1 Davis Impact cover

1 Davis Frontline Combat cover

1 Wood Piracy cover

1 Craig cover to Crime Patrol #15 (1st EC horror comic and 1st EC horror cover)

1 Craig Crime Suspenstories cover

1 Craig Vault of Horror cover

1 Feldstein EC romance cover

2 Ingels EC western cover

and a number of pre-trend covers to War Against Crime, Crime Patrol etc.

In my collection, I have about 13 EC covers. Wish I had more but the prices seem to have been driven into the stratosphere.

Off the top of my head:

1 Davis Impact cover

1 Davis Frontline Combat cover

1 Wood Piracy cover

1 Craig cover to Crime Patrol #15 (1st EC horror comic and 1st EC horror cover)

1 Craig Crime Suspenstories cover

1 Craig Vault of Horror cover

1 Feldstein EC romance cover

2 Ingels EC western cover

and a number of pre-trend covers to War Against Crime, Crime Patrol etc.

That's great, Steve. I've seen most of the covers listed on the Metropolis web site, but not the Wood PIRACY cover. Any plans to upload an image of that one?

Steve,

does anyone know where the CSS 22 cover is ? - My Ultimate, Unrealistic Grail Piece !

Mike

It's in a private collector's hands....the fellow's name escapes me at the moment, but Vinnie intereviewd the guy for Comiczone awhile back.