• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Joe Kubert and the National Guard
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi everybody,

I tried to do detective work on this one, but obtained no results...

I have a Joe Kubert page in my collection that refers to a story he did to promote recruitment in the National Guard.

Problem is : I don't know if it was done for a flyer, or if it got published in a dedicated mag (ie, maybe : P.S. magazine - https://www.psmagazine.army.mil/ )

Before the story was broken into pieces, it was sold as a whole lot by the Kubert estate by Weiss Auctions. The auction can still be seen here :

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/joe-kubert-original-story-sgt-rock-257-c-0294e4f9c3

... so you can see all the pages displayed (note : the auction presented the lot as a Sgt. Rock story. Let's say I'm far from being convinced about this...)

Does that reminds you of something you saw ?

Edited by Ecclectica

3 hours ago, aokartman said:

Sure looks like Sgt. Rock 302 to me.  David

Hum... Sgt. Rock 302 from 1977 ?! I don't follow the idea, David (thanks anyway). Maybe you gave me the wrong issue number ?

I checked #302 : Kubert/Springer for the main story, Aragonés and Estrada for back-up stories. All with a WWII setting, not a Post-9/11 setting (see the explosions on the WTC buildings displayed in a page)

IMHO, unless Joe Kubert was prophetic, this 8 page story was done after 9/11, not even in 1994 as suggested by the auction (or 1977).

And looks like Joe's style from his last (but still great) years.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by Ecclectica

15 hours ago, aokartman said:

Sorry, I was looking at a different lot.  Yours like you said was from 1994, hard to imagine the estate got it that messed up, but maybe.  Good luck, David

Just to show you : a comparision between the panel drawn by Kubert and a picture from 9/11.

kb1.jpgkb2.jpg

Kubert used this panel and others two (showing a fire disaster and a flood disaster) to show cases where the help of National Guard is useful.

So for me this story was clearly done after 2001.

For what says the Kubert estate, I can believe it was maybe published in a Sgt. Rock special for example (even if I've made searches on this ground too and...), but a "prophetic" panel, I can't believe it.

Edited by Ecclectica