• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hot shot comics and pre-order modern
6 6

63 posts in this topic

Ok, there are hundreds of customers that have been more than patient, waiting 6 months, 9 months, maybe a year or more but getting nothing ordered. Also many cases of getting a lower graded/lesser valued slab than originally ordered. If you’ve been ignored, refused refund or ripped off by Hotshot Comics (Asheville Comics) there is hope and recourse to get your money back. Strength in numbers folks, don’t hesitate to put the pressure on them. WIRE FRAUD IS SERIOUS. File with your bank, cc company and/or PayPal.

Also very important to file complaints against hotshotcomics.com with all of these entities: IC3 (FBI) for internet crimes, NC state Attorney General and BBB Better Business Bureau: 

https://complaint.ic3.gov/default.aspx

https://ncdoj.gov/file-a-complaint/consumer-complaint/

https://www.bbb.org/file-a-complaint/0473-879696/form

On 6/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, Xhryz said:

Unfortunately I have 24 outstanding orders from July of 2021 to March of 2022. All items have between an 8 week to 18 week max turnaround time to be shipped to me. I have written several times over the course of the last few months and even requested a refund for at least the orders from last year. I keep getting told to wait and not to worry and things are either expected soon or delayed. I know for a fact it is against the law to not provide customer with full refund if order is not fulfilled by time advertised upon purchase. While some of my older orders were filled at the beginning of this year, I feel I’ve been more than patient and it’s time to get my money back. It has been almost a year and I don’t want to lose all this money. It’s over $5000 worth of orders and I feel sick about it. Just wanted to vent and let you all know. Filing with NC Attorney General, BBB and FTC along with bank, but it’s been so long in some cases I’m effed if I don’t get anything to show for it. Nothing was purchased using PayPal, which I will have to consider for future preorders. End of rant.

Take my advice get your money back although I’m not sure how . PayPal will not cover you after a year if you paid visa you may have passed the timeframe on that coverage . This seller will not get you the books you purchased . Trust me 

On 10/23/2021 at 12:45 PM, mrbarlint said:

I just received an order this morning from Hot Shot Comics. I must say, they were very nicely packaged and they did arrive as 9.8s.

2 copies of   EVE #1 CGC 9.8 preorder. 

I do have two other CGC 9.8 preorders I am waiting on as well and will update the thread.  

That’s the thing about him. He fulfills orders but beware if you have a problem. If months go by and you don’t get any books and then you start asking, most likely he’s going to ghost. When you really push for a reply that’s when he starts becoming caustic and vitriolic . So yes if you get your books of course he seems honest. When you don’t, then you end up like a lot of the people on this thread.

On 10/29/2022 at 9:23 AM, BRONTE said:

It's been since March on a preorder and my credit card company rejected my claim. I font see how if there was no book sent and no money refunded. This guy has the perfect racket.

Because you typically can't wait that long. 60 days is a typically window for a dispute. If you're pre-ordering a slab for a book that hasn't been released yet, it's going to take more time than that.

The book was first appearance of chasm on cover. I have had multiple cgc books I submitted come back to me by now. There is no way cgc takes this long. Their wait time last I checked was less than a month on moderns.

On 10/29/2022 at 10:17 AM, BRONTE said:

The book was first appearance of chasm on cover. I have had multiple cgc books I submitted come back to me by now. There is no way cgc takes this long. Their wait time last I checked was less than a month on moderns.

It might be longer if it was submitted with a pre-screen. Much longer if submitted with pressing as well.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:31 PM, Xhryz said:

Unfortunately I have 24 outstanding orders from July of 2021 to March of 2022. All items have between an 8 week to 18 week max turnaround time to be shipped to me. I have written several times over the course of the last few months and even requested a refund for at least the orders from last year. I keep getting told to wait and not to worry and things are either expected soon or delayed. I know for a fact it is against the law to not provide customer with full refund if order is not fulfilled by time advertised upon purchase. While some of my older orders were filled at the beginning of this year, I feel I’ve been more than patient and it’s time to get my money back. It has been almost a year and I don’t want to lose all this money. It’s over $5000 worth of orders and I feel sick about it. Just wanted to vent and let you all know. Filing with NC Attorney General, BBB and FTC along with bank, but it’s been so long in some cases I’m effed if I don’t get anything to show for it. Nothing was purchased using PayPal, which I will have to consider for future preorders. End of rant.

That is absolutely horrible. 5K is insane!

I have also been scammed by Hotshot Comics. I have over $600 in preorders. 2 from March 2022 and 1 from July 2022

Always generic cut and paste responses from the owner (Doug Cegelis Asheville Comics) blaming CGC wait times... I've sent in books to CGC and received them back within 2 months. CCS is a different story (8 months+) hahaha!

These pre-orders were of newly released books CGC graded 9.8 (Star Wars Halcyon #1, Mandalorian #1, Star Wars Visions #1 and Eight Billion Genies #1) in 2 months all these books were in stock and ready to ship at other retailers... while with Hotshot 10 months later "They are still in the CGC pipeline"

After speaking with my credit card company I realize why he puts 16-18 weeks turnaround time... Most credit card companies only give you purchase protection up to 90 days and some top tier cards give you 120 days of protection.... So his times help him to scam and not get charged back. Looking at his website now... the turnaround times on preorders are 40-52 weeks! WHAT A JOKE! Most of those pre-order books are in stock and available everywhere else!

Lucky enough for me I used a top tier credit card and 6-10 months later they reversed the July charge no questions asked and have frozen the funds and launched an investigation for my March purchases. Hopefully they will decide in my favor... They almost always usually do.

In the end this was and still is a huge aggravation. Buying comics should be fun and Hotshot Comics is a cancer that needs to be cut out from the collecting community!

Yeah they’ve got me on the hook for 2 books pre ordered on March 11 2022 expected 16-18 weeks after April 20th. 
 I have picked both up off eBay, (with lack of faith of receiving them.) and both books show up frequently, below paid preorder prices. 🙁 
 Out about $125 at this time. 

overall I think I’m done with preorders through all dealers- you think they would be quicker, however usually pop up for sale 4-6 months earlier on eBay at half the cost. 😝🙁

They posted a message on their website (see bellow).

Another attempt to delay orders and scam people still hoping to receive their orders....

Google their reviews on Yelp and Reddit, so many angry customers of Asheville Comics (HotShot Comics)

If you are a victim of their scam don't forget to file complaints against hotshotcomics.com with all of these entities:

IC3 (FBI) for internet crimes, (NCDOJ) NC state Attorney General, USPSI Postal Inspector, FTC and BBB Better Business Bureau.

From Hotshot Comics website:

image.thumb.png.53f562c5ecb51cb65e798d34ca3bde11.png

image.thumb.png.af983ccffd6ef429cff86bf14bd40c5e.png

image.thumb.png.305b35f9bdfd8a409d6bec172987f607.png

image.thumb.png.366c809083a9b2977a05d2f2829234b1.png

image.thumb.png.f3842e324b4a476660bd5a3a0fddc839.png

Edited by migmtl76

On 5/18/2023 at 11:23 AM, migmtl76 said:

Another attempt to delay orders and scam people still hoping to receive their orders....

Google their reviews on Yelp and Reddit, so many angry customers of Asheville Comics (HotShot Comics)

If you are a victim of their scam don't forget to file complaints against hotshotcomics.com with all of these entities:

IC3 (FBI) for internet crimes, (NCDOJ) NC state Attorney General, USPSI Postal Inspector, FTC and BBB Better Business Bureau.

How much do you want to bet, assuming that they actually follow through with shipping stuff out, that they didn't flip the original books for more than the pre-order when the market exploded, and now they're rebuying at cheaper prices to send out now that the market has softened.

On 5/18/2023 at 11:23 AM, migmtl76 said:

Absolute garbage they are thieves. They clearly read these on google search and know the heat is on. They flat out defraud people in the open and should pay the price . No mercy