• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Are Your Top Five Favourite WRITERS (Any And All Eras)?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Albert Thurgood said:

No love here for Don McGregor? Back in the '70s, he was the writiest writer who ever wrote. He probably put too much effort in so didn't do as many titles as the others, but his Panther and War of the Worlds were great

He was good, but his style and verbosity made his stories progress at a wading-through-sludge snail’s pace. Panther’s Rage was great, Killraven one of my favourites as a kid.

The Bronze Age writer with the most generally accessible, but overwritten style for me is Steve Englehart, who did try to create a faster, much more energetic pace despite high word density. (I’m referencing Avengers and Doctor Strange here.)

That said, the happy medium between the two, and my favourite, is Chris Claremont.  I read his stuff all the way through the 70s and 80s, but newer readers can often find it a bit on the cold, detached side in tone.  Still brilliant enough in both quantity and quality of material to make my top five.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Stan Lee - My first exposure to super hero comics were with some old re-prints of silver age Marvel and this guy was the name plastered all over it, he hooked me

J M DeMatteis - My first steps into actually collecting were right in the middle of the Spider-Man clone saga in the mid 90's. It took me a while to realise (as a young reader I just never paid enough attention to the writers names!) but JMD's contributions were the strongest amongst some very messy storylines and when I went back and found more of his work (Kravens Last Hunt / Justice League International etc) I ended up enjoying it all

Ed Brubaker - For his Daredevil run and the likes of Gotham Central, brilliant crime level stuff

Bendis – Back when Ultimate Spider-man started I picked up everything he started doing right through the likes of Avengers and Daredevil. Dropped off towards the end of his Marvel tenure and then after the move to DC but he’ll remain on my list for those glory years

Grant Morrison – Because he’s Scottish and nuts and allowed to play with all the big hitters no matter how insane his ideas may be

Carl Barks/Don Rosa (for all things Ducks)

Alan Grant/John Wagner (for all things Judge Dredd)

Michael Fleisher (for all things Jonah Hex)

Claremont/Byrne (for all things Bronze Age X-Men)

Jack Kirby (for Bronze Age Kirby unleashed! The New Gods! The Demon! Kamandi! Devil Dinosaur! )

Edited by MisterX

I'm typical, but I mean, there's a reason these guys are loved by so many:

Neil Gaiman

Grant Morrison

Alan Moore (still bloody brilliant)

Jeph Loeb (just the batman stuff)

Scott Snyder

Ed Bruebacker

On 7/14/2021 at 9:55 AM, Bird said:

no love for Bendis? I considered him, for those do-it-all creator fans his early stuff that he draws & writes is wonderful. 

I got just so sick of Bendis. Loved his Daredevil but then when he got into the Avengers it was just the biggest snooze fest. Dark Avengers was a slightly bright spot but man, that was a low point in Avengers history. It's left a bad taste in my mouth ever since. Funny thing is I might actually have more books by Bendis than any other writer.