• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why didnt Nick Fury Agent of Shield and Doctor Strange 169 get a Big Premiere Badge on the cover?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

this question has plagued me for the longest. 

captain america 100, namor 1, Hulk 102, silver surfer 1, captain marvel 1, Ironman 1 all are issues that received the BIG Premiere badge. 

nick fury agent of shield 1 & doctor strange 169 did not. 

the only link between fury and strange were that i can see is they were both published in June of 1968 while the rest were published in either april or may with the exception of Surfer in August, who did get the big premiere. 

why? 

I'll take a stab and hear what others think. 

Stan gave Sterenko a tremendous amount of independence with Nick Fury. Sterenko was credited as writer and artist which, to my knowledge, no one else in Marvel had been to that point.

Jim took Fury in a pretty unconventional direction and maybe he just didn't want the conventional big premier banner mudding up his art? 

16 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'll take a stab and hear what others think. 

Stan gave Sterenko a tremendous amount of independence with Nick Fury. Sterenko was credited as writer and artist which, to my knowledge, no one else in Marvel had been to that point.

Jim took Fury in a pretty unconventional direction and maybe he just didn't want the conventional big premier banner mudding up his art? 

Jim Steranko’s art on Nick Fury has such a psychedelic feel to it, very cinematic if anything. He’s free reign on the title and him not wanting a premiere badge in the way of his art makes sense. 

Edited by Terry_JSA

So if Nick refused one, then they stubbornly refused to give one to Dr Strange. That issue needed it more, since it continued the Strange Tales numbering and title.

Nick Fury didn't need it so much because it had that tell-tale "#1" on the cover.