• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

On 7/27/2021 at 12:45 AM, grapeape said:

Why has Hulk 181 not surfaced?

Because it pleases some collectors to stay private. Some get a thrill from sharing a new art acquisition. Others thrill at possessing “greatness” that the rest of the art world is dying to know where it’s hidden? Only they ( or maybe a privileged few) know the whereabouts.

#CABAL/CODEOFSILENECE.SHH

That’s 100% understandable and I get that. I just think it’s odd that it hasn’t surfaced in over 10 years if it did manage to survive a house fire. If those privileged people have seen it and know the whereabouts, then they’re part of a special group of people for sure. 

On 7/27/2021 at 2:05 AM, Terry_JSA said:

That’s 100% understandable and I get that. I just think it’s odd that it hasn’t surfaced in over 10 years if it did manage to survive a house fire. If those privileged people have seen it and know the whereabouts, then they’re part of a special group of people for sure. 

I don't think there's anything odd about it at all.  Some folks like to keep their collections to themselves and that's fine.  Others like to share their collections, and that's fine too.

We have a very active collecting community here in the greater Toronto area and I've hosted many OA get togethers at my house where I would often show pieces that were not on display in my CAF gallery.  Furthermore, I had OA that I only showed to a handful of close close collecting buddies, but I also had OA that I had been collecting for a decade that I never shared with anyone, and I'm talking about fellas who travelled with me to out of state/out of country shows.

While not on the same level as Hulk 181, nobody knew that I had been trying to put together the complete interiors to the Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson Daredevil Man Without Fear Mini-Series for a decade.  I had nearly two-thirds of all the published pages before I lost interest and shifted my collecting focus elsewhere, but the point is that I never mentioned it to anyone as I felt that it was a personal and private endeavor.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:05 AM, Terry_JSA said:

Yes, yes they are.

CABAL.thumb.jpg.bfae83caca907cadec50e5e0f812b065.jpg

#TheCabal

Edited by delekkerste

On 7/27/2021 at 6:52 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't think there's anything odd about it at all.  Some folks like to keep their collections to themselves and that's fine.  Others like to share their collections, and that's fine too.

We have a very active collecting community here in the greater Toronto area and I've hosted many OA get togethers at my house where I would often show pieces that were not on display in my CAF gallery.  Furthermore, I had OA that I only showed to a handful of close close collecting buddies, but I also had OA that I had been collecting for a decade that I never shared with anyone, and I'm talking about fellas who travelled with me to out of state/out of country shows.

While not on the same level as Hulk 181, nobody knew that I had been trying to put together the complete interiors to the Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson Daredevil Man Without Fear Mini-Series for a decade.  I had nearly two-thirds of all the published pages before I lost interest and shifted my collecting focus elsewhere, but the point is that I never mentioned it to anyone as I felt that it was a personal and private endeavor.

I’m not trying to say it’s odd to keep some things in your collection private, but odd in the sense of some people claim it was destroyed while other people claim it wasn’t. It’s just one of those things that makes me skeptical because you can’t just believe everything you see when there’s two sides of the story. 

On 7/27/2021 at 3:52 AM, jjonahjameson11 said: I never mentioned it to anyone as I felt that it was a personal and private endeavor.

Great point. Sometimes when you’re on a journey you can’t get there unless you shed everything. That includes the spotlight of others expectations.

I have a friend who has come so very close to completing a book. The journey has taken him twenty years and of course what once seemed easy is very difficult now. It’s not a huge dollar book either. He’s exhausted all tried and true avenues. Now you wait and do whatever it takes without making yourself an easy 💰 mark.

On 7/27/2021 at 7:27 AM, Terry_JSA said:

I’m not trying to say it’s odd to keep some things in your collection private, but odd in the sense of some people claim it was destroyed while other people claim it wasn’t. It’s just one of those things that makes me skeptical because you can’t just believe everything you see when there’s two sides of the story. 

It’s ok to be skeptical.

We do have some knowledgeable and credible board members who have seen evidence of the art. 
It’s at least food for thought.

This is a big part of the rollercoaster ride. The holy grails seen and unseen. Treasure hunting.

On 7/27/2021 at 10:42 AM, grapeape said:

Great point. Sometimes when you’re on a journey you can’t get there unless you shed everything. That includes the spotlight of others expectations.

I have a friend who has come so very close to completing a book. The journey has taken him twenty years and of course what once seemed easy is very difficult now. It’s not a huge dollar book either. He’s exhausted all tried and true avenues. Now you wait and do whatever it takes without making yourself an easy 💰 mark.

This was a thought I had in mind too, maybe if it did survive the fire, it was kept secret for that reason alone. Hulk #181 has became a huge book within the last year or so and I could only imagine how much the OA would go for in today’s market. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:27 AM, Bronty said:

We all want to see it but given it may someday be fir sale there’s an argument to say keep the image fresh and don’t show anyone to maximize the wow factor when you do sell.   And this isn’t a few dollars here.   So there’s a financial motivation and a privacy motivation too.  

We all get a caf account and at the beginning put every piece we own up there. For many people there start to be reasons why they don’t want every piece up publicly and they start to show only a portion.    I only have 5 or 10% of my collection up for example, and I know I’m not alone in that.

So many reasons for it.  you may not want people to know what you collect, you may not want people to bother you with offers, you may feel like having too much art on there makes some pieces perceived to be less special (after a whole too much of a thing blurs together online), you may not want your name and assets out there for security purposes, the list goes on and on.  

IMO just be thankful for the art that IS shown and understand that there are many many reasons why someone would choose not to publicly share a hulk 181 cover image.

I understand there’s many reasons as to why the owner may not have came forward. The big one is privacy concerns most likely, an OA art piece rumored to have been destroyed but was somehow saved from a fire? That’s a lot of attention put on to that person now, which again, is totally understandable. Personally to me it’s just one of those “you’ll have to see it in order to believe it” type ordeals. Overall I am thankful for the art that is shown on CAF as there’s some really cool pieces that just have that “wow” factor to it because you didn’t think anyone could own something like that, or think OA like that still existed today. 

On 7/27/2021 at 11:51 AM, Terry_JSA said:

I understand there’s many reasons as to why the owner may not have came forward. The big one is privacy concerns most likely, an OA art piece rumored to have been destroyed but was somehow saved from a fire? That’s a lot of attention put on to that person now, which again, is totally understandable. Personally to me it’s just one of those “you’ll have to see it in order to believe it” type ordeals. Overall I am thankful for the art that is shown on CAF as there’s some really cool pieces that just have that “wow” factor to it because you didn’t think anyone could own something like that, or think OA like that still existed today. 

Perhaps CAF would consider setting up an anonymous posting board, like for regular pieces, but open to the whole community. That would give the owner the ability to react to posts if he/she chose to, preserving privacy but still getting the sought after attention.

On 7/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Perhaps CAF would consider setting up an anonymous posting board, like for regular pieces, but open to the whole community. That would give the owner the ability to react to posts if he/she chose to, preserving privacy but still getting the sought after attention.

Ehhhh.   That's like being sort of pregnant.