• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

Just now, GreatEscape said:

Weird Science Fantasy 29 cover by Frazetta (owned by Halperin) is Top 10 worthy and, in my book, more desirable than Action 15 and HOS 92.

All the Famous Funnies Frazetta covers exist. Just pick the one you like the most! :idea:

48 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Hulk #181 cover? 

yup.   Seems like the clear choice to me in terms of what is known to exist and would be the most valuable.

4 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

1.  AF 15 interior at the LOC

2. MC 1 interior page featuring Namor owned by Jim Halperin

3. Action `15 cover owned by Bedrock

What am I missing ?

Does "Greatest" mean "most impressive" or "most valuable"?  A number of posters seem to be veering immediately to the value...

17 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Probably slightly controversial, but I would probably put the cover to Silver Surfer 4 in the mix. And I think the cover to 4 trumps the cover to SS 1, but fair minded people might disagree.

Who are these "fair-minded people" to whom you refer? BRING THEM TO ME.

4 > 1

Crumb Zap 0

But that Frazetta WSF 29 rules over the rest. 

As a Kirby guy, I very much want something by him to be in that top ten, but 90% of his A+ stuff is still missing.

And are we just doing books? Because there are strips. The McCay Walking Bed is out there, which should make the list.

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Does "Greatest" mean "most impressive" or "most valuable"?  A number of posters seem to be veering immediately to the value...

Its implicit in the question, and taken any other way the question is completely arbitrary.    Someone might think a Speedball cover is the greatest, but there's not a lot you can do with that comment apart from checking the person that made it into a hospital.

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

Anyone knows what’s the oldest Detective (Batman) or Action Ccmics (Superman) known to exist?

I think Detective 28 and Action 15 for covers.

43 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Probably slightly controversial, but I would probably put the cover to Silver Surfer 4 in the mix. And I think the cover to 4 trumps the cover to SS 1, but fair minded people might disagree.

I like the #4 cover better than the #1 cover also.    

That said, I wouldn't put any SS cover in the list, but fair minded people might disagree ;) 

22 minutes ago, glendgold said:

As a Kirby guy, I very much want something by him to be in that top ten, but 90% of his A+ stuff is still missing.

For sure.   Feels like the top 20 spaces should be Kirby, but they have to exist first.

30 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Its implicit in the question, and taken any other way the question is completely arbitrary.    Someone might think a Speedball cover is the greatest, but there's not a lot you can do with that comment apart from checking the person that made it into a hospital.

Frankly, I don’t know how I could answer that question due to lack of information. To my way of thinking, covers are designed to sell comics. So, any cover on a book which produced the greatest increase in sales over the prior issue would be a candidate, as well as first issues which exceeded the average sales of comics in the prior month by the highest percentage. So, if sales jumped from AF 14 to 15, it could qualify. Now, how you find that info is anyone’s guess. Otherwise, the question is better framed as “most valuable.”

18 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

They might disagree, but they'd be wrong. :sumo:

Buscema was on fire for SS 4, not just the cover, but the entire book.  It was the first time where he let loose and drew in a way that utilized what he learned from Kirby, but channeled through his own artistic sensibility.  Unfortunately, Stan expressed concern with the result, and Buscema lost confidence and pulled back from that approach.