• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does it cost for professional appraisal of collection?

25 posts in this topic

I second all of @marvelmaniac's comments.

CollectInsure.com is the THE standard.  They would be a dead company if they weren't any good.

Using non-collectibles insurance (like homeowners) is like asking your personal physician to treat a sickly Kentucky Derby racehorse.

We know you trust them, you have a long history with them, and they'll do it for you, but they really don't want to do it, but it's more money and they know how to charge you for it, but if they were honest, they would probably admit they have no idea what they're doing, so that's why they want you to jump through all the hoops to make sure they don't screw it up when they try it on you for the first time according to the "in network" policy requirements.  Then, when the horse dies, they'll tell you they really didn't want to do it, but you insisted... and the policy has a surprise they didn't anticipate because they hadn't done one before.  Sorry.

But, all of this is irrelevant, when the insurance agent is family.  Blood is thicker than common sense.

Vin Diesel Memes Trend As Fans Mock Fast Character's Love Of 'Family'

Edited by valiantman

On 7/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, valiantman said:

I second all of @marvelmaniac's comments.

CollectInsure.com is the THE standard.  They would be a dead company if they weren't any good.

Using non-collectibles insurance (like homeowners) is like asking your personal physician to treat a sickly Kentucky Derby racehorse.

We know you trust them, you have a long history with them, and they'll do it for you, but they really don't want to do it, but it's more money and they know how to charge you for it, but if they were honest, they would probably admit they have no idea what they're doing, so that's why they want you to jump through all the hoops to make sure they don't screw it up when they try it on you for the first time according to the "in network" policy requirements.  Then, when the horse dies, they'll tell you they really didn't want to do it, but you insisted... and the policy has a surprise they didn't anticipate because they hadn't done one before.  Sorry.

But, all of this is irrelevant, when the insurance agent is family.  Blood is thicker than common sense.

Thanks. This is all making very good sense, especially the way you explained it. I really don't want to have to go through an appraisal of each and every valuable and semi-valuable  (>$100) comic I own. I started doing that this weekend, got to about a hundred books and mentally I'm thinking, this will cost between $200-$500 just to appraise these top 100 books (at the rate my LCS who's also an Overstreet advisor quoted me). Plus, I'd have to leave a box of my most valuable books at the LCS while he spends a day or so leafing through each book, grading and valuing them. I don't like the idea of that. 

I just wish there were some folks here who had actual claims of damage (not mailing/shipping damage but real major claims) where CSI paid out as expected. Not that I want anyone's stuff damage or disaster for them, but you know what I mean. 

And looking back, I've seen folks in other insurance-related threads say they were dropped if they filed a claim with CSI.

I will ask around some more, I did ask a few LCS here and some had no clue who to try, but I can ask some more. 

Thanks for the advice, and if there is more advice or experience regarding CSI, please let me know. 

Edited by jcjames

On 7/19/2021 at 11:22 AM, jcjames said:

Thanks for the advice, and if there is more advice or experience regarding CSI, please let me know. 

There are more choices today than there used to be.

https://www.investopedia.com/best-collectibles-insurance-5101072

I don't know how many cover comic books (or which ones require appraisals or more detailed documentation), but I don't think all these existed in the collectibles area when I was shopping 20 years ago.

Edited by valiantman

On 7/16/2021 at 7:45 AM, marvelmaniac said:

I am going to preface this by saying, I do not work for or receive any $ compensation from CIS, just want to help fellow collectors and pass on the knowledge/experience I have gained in 40+ years of collecting.

I have been using CIS for close to 15 years now, never had to file a claim, the process is less complicated than going through an insurance company (like homeowners) that does not deal with collectibles on a daily basis.

I always say the best insurance in the world is insurance you have but never have to use, if you use it, something went wrong.

If they were a PITA about settling claims would they still be in business and as popular as they are?

You determine how much insurance you want/need, they give you a quote based on $ amount of insurance, where you live (are you near large bodies of water, etc.) and where/how the books are being stored.

I currently pay $190.00 per year for $35,000.00 in insurance (and peace of mind).

https://collectinsure.com/?gclid=CJu3heLP8cUCFYuPHwod4kgAww

I originally sent them a list of all books/collectibles with some pics, in 2015 I graded all of my books myself (took 6 month's for 2000 + books) and sent CIS a list of all books with grade, I have the complete list (42 page PDF) and pics of every book stored on my laptop and on 2 additional flashdrives.

As I add new things to the collection I take pics/catalog the items and send them the info through e-mail and they add it to my file.

You can send them all of the info and pics on a flashdrive or through e-mail.

You can change the amount of coverage at anytime.

If you have CGC graded books, then you already know the grade and you can find FMV at...

https://comics.gocollect.com/

If the books are raw, then the best place to obtain FMV is eBay sold auctions, eBay sold auctions are what people are actually paying for that book in that grade, you would have to grade the book before checking.

If you have a large and/or expensive collection, IMO, you should learn about grading/handling/storing your comics yourself.

Both of these books are invaluable as far as info is concerned, the price guide actual $ values are probably outdated but the info in the book is valuable none the less.

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-comic-book-price-guide-51-daredevilecho-sc

https://www.gemstonepub.com/en/the-overstreet-guide-to-grading-comics-6th-edition

You can also attempt grading a book then open a thread in the...

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Post clear pics of the front cover, back cover, splash page and inside front cover, centerfold, inside rear cover, note if there are any interior issues such as tears, missing/filled out coupons, pinups missing, etc. and see what the group thinks, if they do not agree with your grade, ask why, you will be accurately grading your books yourself in no time flat.

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

https://comics.ha.com/c/ref/glossary.zx

I appreciate your response and advice. I use both OGG, online pics of similar CGC books and occasionally the PGM thread here. I am currently in process of photographing every valuable and semi-valuable book, front cover and splash page. See my above response to @valiantman for where I am in my thinking about this. Thanks. 

I'll echo what others have said... save yourself a LOT of time and hassle and use CIS. Normal insurance companies are way to difficult to deal with when it comes to collectibles. I have had to file a claim with CIS, albeit 10+ years ago now, but the process is very easy and I was paid what the books were actually worth at the time. You only need to document books worth over $5K so let's say that you have 20 longboxes of stuff worth a total of $50K but no one book is worth more than $5K, you don't have to document anything. If you lose the whole lot in a fire, you get a check for $50K.