• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6?
4 4

77 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, SamPool said:

I do know know it is not the sellers fault, but the seller is taking advantage of a mistake and putting it out on the market with no shame.

I have dealt with this dealer/seller before and they did some shady stuff, like jacking the price after I made an inquiry about an item they had on there website and ebay, stating "market value".  After this incident I did a search and found some google review that reiterate the same that happened to me in my experience. 

You can check for yourself.. They are called MG Comics in Montreal Canada, google them.  

Seems like more then half of the reviews are from the owners and their family.

tenor-1.gif.ad7ecd3e45968b288c48657b6ead2a3a.gif

52 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

I’m torn on this. I would think an experienced seller (and this appears to be an experienced seller) would have the same concerns about this book that we do.

Having said that, this individual actually has the case in hand and may be able to absolutely rule out that the book has been cracked.

Even if it is obvious that mistakes were made, what obligation does a seller have to caveat a case/grade that has not been tampered with? I don’t have the answer, but I would be livid if I bought this book (with the seller for “cheating” me and with myself for not paying enough attention to the photos).

It's the responsibility of the buyer to review the purchase and make sure the case has not been tampered with. I'd question the photos ahead of time, before bidding, maybe the buyer doesn't care? (shrug)

100% feedback, must be doing something right?

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

5 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

It's the responsibility of the buyer to review the purchase and make sure the case has not been tampered with. I'd question the photos ahead of time, before bidding, maybe the buyer doesn't care? (shrug)

It this case it is obvious this book has issues, but in other cases that can not be determined by a few pictures that a seller posts but becomes more obvious with book in hand.  The seller has liability in this case and not sure to say "It's the responsibility of the buyer to review the purchase".

I agree with 100% feedback, they must be doing something right.

3 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

IMO, and not being a jerk - This is not the sellers fault. CGC gave the grade and it was final. Look at their listings they have 1,000s of items. It is not their responsibility to QA every book they have because CGC made a mistake? 

Of course it's not the seller's fault they didn't grade it or make the error but I wouldn't put this on my eBay store knowing that it was way overpriced and definitely not the right grade. They can do what they want of course but they just risk looking bad is all I'm saying.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

2 hours ago, Off Panel said:

I’m torn on this. I would think an experienced seller (and this appears to be an experienced seller) would have the same concerns about this book that we do.

Having said that, this individual actually has the case in hand and may be able to absolutely rule out that the book has been cracked.

Even if it is obvious that mistakes were made, what obligation does a seller have to caveat a case/grade that has not been tampered with? I don’t have the answer, but I would be livid if I bought this book (with the seller for “cheating” me and with myself for not paying enough attention to the photos).

Exactly. That's what the seller risks by putting this up for sale, it's pretty obvious.

2 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

not really its easy to get negs removed.  Some real miscreants mentioned here on the boards have 100% feedback.

18 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

What would happen to this book if a reholder attempt was made?

:tonofbricks:

1 minute ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

Of course, accept the return and offer a bit of hush cash right? 

not even that just call ebay.

45 minutes ago, kav said:

not really its easy to get negs removed.  Some real miscreants mentioned here on the boards have 100% feedback.

Isn't a CGC slab tamper resistant. I mean looking at the photos, wouldn't you be able to tell?

I am leaning to a grade typo on CGCs end.

5 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

5.5 to 6.0 ish hm

I thought CGC's policy was that the grade doesn't change if the damage wasn't done post-encapsulation, and you can't tell me the book gained a color breaking crease post-encapsulation... unless they can show the case had been cracked open.

eta nick posted a video on his YouTube the other day showing clearly a high grade (9.2+) Star Wars 1 with a Universal 4.0 label. (Skip to about 1:40.)

Kind of the opposite of this Strange Tales copy. Again, I'm guessing miskey and poor quality control.

Edited by grendelbo

18 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

One of the worst 9.6's I have seen, and I have seen MANY that say 9.6 but are far from it. 

The case looks legit, no signs of tampering, and I would be inclined to think it is just as it was returned by CGC, not a substitute of any kind. 

Just shoddy grading, or the "CGC tamper-evident case" is a misnomer.  Either way, not good for CGC, the submitter, or the hobby in general.