• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

9.6?
4 4

77 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Off Panel said:

So, is this a case of the original book being cracked out and a lower grade book snuck into the holder?

I know CGC misses a call sometimes, but they aren’t giving that book a 9.6 on their worst day.

I’ve seen worse get high grades … there’s other threads like yours with similar discrepancies 

Edited by littledoom

Forget the spine ticks, forget the staple tear, forget the ragged edge at the bottom … there is a 1” color-breaking bend at the top left corner that would immediately disqualify this book no questions asked.

This is not a case of “intelligent people can disagree.” 

You can’t convince me that this was the book CGC graded. It’s not even like the damages (with the exception of that staple) are candidates for shaken comic syndrome.

One of the worst 9.6's I have seen, and I have seen MANY that say 9.6 but are far from it. 

The case looks legit, no signs of tampering, and I would be inclined to think it is just as it was returned by CGC, not a substitute of any kind. 

Just shoddy grading, or the "CGC tamper-evident case" is a misnomer.  Either way, not good for CGC, the submitter, or the hobby in general.

CGC Cert # 1296784000 is not searchable.  Next couple certs 4001: Mr Miracle #1 (8.0) ,  4002: Warlock #1 (7.0) , 4003: Brave and the Bold #79 (9.0)

If I were a gambling man, I would say this was a label error at CGC . Where they swapped labels and the actual 9.6 was cracked out of whatever grade this book actually got, and was resubmitted as well as the label sent in to be removed from the census.  If not a direct two submission label swap, then either someone else has got to be upset with their grade as they got this books label, or CGC really dropped the ball on grading this book. 

They should buy this book to keep it from circulating. 

31 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

CGC Cert # 1296784000 is not searchable.  Next couple certs 4001: Mr Miracle #1 (8.0) ,  4002: Warlock #1 (7.0) , 4003: Brave and the Bold #79 (9.0)

If I were a gambling man, I would say this was a label error at CGC . Where they swapped labels and the actual 9.6 was cracked out of whatever grade this book actually got, and was resubmitted as well as the label sent in to be removed from the census.  If not a direct two submission label swap, then either someone else has got to be upset with their grade as they got this books label, or CGC really dropped the ball on grading this book. 

They should buy this book to keep it from circulating. 

Even more concerning, the seller with 100% feedback and thousands of prior sales, is posting this obviously low-grade comic at that price. (tsk) They should know better and there is no excuse IMO.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE

34 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

CGC Cert # 1296784000 is not searchable. 

It's 1296784001 and I looked it up. See the third post of this thread.

I figure it's a miskey coupled with poor quality control. It was graded three years ago.

Edited by grendelbo

6 minutes ago, grendelbo said:

It's 1296784001 and I looked it up. See the third post of this thread.

I figure it's a miskey coupled with poor quality control. It was graded three years ago.

I know that is the number on the label.

I was searching all adjoining numbers to see if there may have been a pattern and the possibility of a label swap , which happens way more than it should. 

2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Graders have bad days too. Maybe the person forgot to bring their glasses to work or lost a contact.

Agreed people have bad days.  I would think it should be a policy that if that's the case, no glasses/contacts today? No work today so go home with a write up or go get your glasses/contacts. With potentially hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars passing through their hands per shift, there should be no exceptions. I was under the impression that at least at one point, it took 3 graders to assign a book a given grade. I'm guessing that must have changed down the line somewhere because that book is just crazy for the grade assigned. 

1 minute ago, Timeless icons said:
2 hours ago, Ride the Tiger said:

Graders have bad days too. Maybe the person forgot to bring their glasses to work or lost a contact.

Agreed people have bad days.  I would think it should be a policy that if that's the case, no glasses/contacts today? No work today so go home with a write up or go get your glasses/contacts. With potentially hundreds of thousands/millions of dollars passing through their hands per shift, there should be no exceptions. I was under the impression that at least at one point, it took 3 graders to assign a book a given grade. I'm guessing that must have changed down the line somewhere because that book is just crazy for the grade assigned. 

Yes anyone can have a bad day but this looks like more than that. It's speculation but this looks like a labeling error and definitely a QC error. Something like this should never have left their facility.  

Just now, Jeffro. said:

Yes anyone can have a bad day but this looks like more than that. It's speculation but this looks like a labeling error and definitely a QC error. Something like this should never have left their facility.  

Exactly. I'm not saying it was the case that someone didn't bring glasses/contacts but I was saying if that was the case, then why would they be allowed to work?:facepalm: I'm not even sure what to believe but if this did leave the facility this way, someone should be fired in QC because this is happening too often, even when considering the volume of books they deal with. Once another grading company steps up and is considered a valid contender, I'm jumping ship. Tired of these dirty cases, poorly graded books, hairs trapped in the wells, newton rings and comic shock due to poor packing methods. Did I mention price hikes and horrendous turn around times? Might take time but if there's money to be made (and there clearly is...) another company will step up to the plate eventually. :wishluck:

10 hours ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

Even more concerning, the seller with 100% feedback and thousands of prior sales, is posting this obviously low-grade comic at that price. (tsk) They should know better and there is no excuse IMO.

IMO, and not being a jerk - This is not the sellers fault. CGC gave the grade and it was final. Look at their listings they have 1,000s of items. It is not their responsibility to QA every book they have because CGC made a mistake? 

Edited by BigLeagueCHEW

18 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

IMO, and not being a jerk - This is not the sellers fault. 

I’m torn on this. I would think an experienced seller (and this appears to be an experienced seller) would have the same concerns about this book that we do.

Having said that, this individual actually has the case in hand and may be able to absolutely rule out that the book has been cracked.

Even if it is obvious that mistakes were made, what obligation does a seller have to caveat a case/grade that has not been tampered with? I don’t have the answer, but I would be livid if I bought this book (with the seller for “cheating” me and with myself for not paying enough attention to the photos).

51 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

IMO, and not being a jerk - This is not the sellers fault. CGC gave the grade and it was final. Look at their listings they have 1,000s of items. It is not their responsibility to QA every book they have because CGC made a mistake? 

I do know know it is not the sellers fault, but the seller is taking advantage of a mistake and putting it out on the market with no shame.

I have dealt with this dealer/seller before and they did some shady stuff, like jacking the price after I made an inquiry about an item they had on there website and ebay, stating "market value".  After this incident I did a search and found some google review that reiterate the same that happened to me in my experience. 

You can check for yourself.. They are called MG Comics in Montreal Canada, google them.  

Seems like more then half of the reviews are from the owners and their family.

Edited by SamPool