• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, what have you heard over the years?

61 posts in this topic

>>do you think 20? I always thought 25 (assuming your personal Golden Age was when you were 12). Maybe it is 20, that would explain all this 80s nostalgia.

20 years is the start-point and 25 years is usually the apex. CGC speculation has put this temporarily out of whack, but that's the true-collector/raw theory.

I think of 20 years as being the starting point and 50 years as being the end... basically lining up with that individual's earning curve. 25 years might be a "volume apex" as some collectors will drop out when they start having families.. but I think the "price apex" happens anywhere from the 30-50 year mark as the collectors that are left are making big bucks... agree?

Yeah, it's true we don't talk about the comics enough sometimes but it's hard to ignore the money sometimes in the current market.

What's your drop-dead favorite pre-code horror book? If Weird Tales of the Future #2 qualifies (might be more sci-fi) that would definitely be mine smile.gif

Re: trying to ignore old joe.

Your right, 'cause just when I want to ignore him, his 1 out 20 posts that actually contribute something comes up and then I gotta' back up. There's just no consistency there. confused.gif

>>I think of 20 years as being the starting point and 50 years as being the end... basically lining up with that individual's earning curve. 25 years might be a "volume apex" as some collectors will drop out when they start having families.. but I think the "price apex" happens anywhere from the 30-50 year mark as the collectors that are left are making big bucks... agree?

In my point of view, 20 years is the start, 25 is (as you state) the time when nostalgia hits the apex, and around 35 is the point where relative prices (taking into consideration initial investment and inflation factors) peak, assuming no short-term, speculator-induced frenzy from an unknown source (i.e. CGC).

But once again, anyone putting this theory to the test on 1986-to Present comics (the Adult Age) is in for a rude awakening.

What's your drop-dead favorite pre-code horror book?

Bronty! Ahhh - wish I could say. I haven't read them all yet! I have favorite covers and favorite stories. And some of those stories and covers - at least the title/issue # - have been lost due to my few years of respite from comics. In my own collection right now I have three favorite covers: Startling Terror Tales 11, Mister Mystery 13 and Menace 11.

As far as the stories go - MUCH harder to say because as my mood changes a bit from day to day, the stories interest me me more or less. Ask me again in a year - I hope to have my pre-code horror type set compleet by then! grin.gif

And I will have read them all! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

In other words you agree tongue.gif

Of course, it's not a hard and fast rule as you state. Other factors (comic-related examples being CGC, changing tastes ( divergence away from certain genres like westerns, demise of a publisher)) etc. have impacts as well.

Sweet. And agreed, that Startling Terror Tales 11 cover makes me drool! That has to be my favorite Cole cover!

...the Wolverton stuff means the most to me personally, though. So much damn originality in his art (and occassionally his stories wink.gif ) - actually the stories seemed original just by virtue of the art!!

You may be able to test some theories out already on some high grade bronze and silver age issues. Though demand is high for certain silver (spider-man,hulk), it seems only the completists or big kids (myself included) are buying many non-key high grade bronze issues at those high prices. I think non-key issues are the real threat to the investor if and when the market does crash and then stabilize.Keys will always be worth something as long as there are only a few high grade copies in existence. I think demand for hulk 181 will remain strong as long as there are less than say, 10 9.8s out there. Look at how quickly prices drop on moderns when the first pop up on ebay vs two months later when everyone sends in their copies for grading trying to cash in on the big bucks. Does anyone remember spawn #1. Hmm, then again, what would a new grading company do for this. I know there is another thread that talks about this but it could accelorate a price crash. Look at the grading costs of cgc vs cgg. Though their holders ability to be opened without cracking any seals will present an interesting delimma to newbies from crooked sellers

You may be able to test some theories out already

No question - already have. My impression of the intent of this post was more like "what have you heard" as opposed to "how do you equate the things you have heard to the current market conditions."

Now I may be all wet here but this just sounded like a fun post about all those rumors we ALL know had circulated, be they from publications, dealers, fellow collectors and even silly newspaper articles. If I am wrong I hope the originator lets me know!

sorry poverty, that was my twisted humor. I enjoyed writing that post of mine. Rumors Ive heard:

1. crash

2. marvel/dc are going to concentrate more on character marketing away from comics with comics being the foundation of their income. Got that from just talking to various dealers and observation. Which may be a smart way of ensuring their future. Kids these days are playing magic and watching dragon ball z. Comic, whats a comic?

sorry poverty, that was my twisted humor. I enjoyed writing that post of mine.

OK - I can relate to that - and relate to being misunderstood - to quote The Animals "But I'm just a soul whose intentions are good Oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood".

So...Pace! Love. Dove. mmmm.....a Dove Bar - chocolate coated vanilla ice cream -15 seconds in the microwave to soften JUST a titch!

(Caution - microwave temperatures may vary - consult manufacturer's documentation).

I agree that this should be fun.....

I remember things like - "since Batman the movie came out, my collection of beat up Detectives and Batmans are going to be worth a fortune......"

"Rom, the Space Knight" is an up and comer......

"Did you get all the different X-Men #1 covers? You're going to be able to sell them as a set...."

"Image Comics are here to stay. The Young Turks got it right......."

"You can corner the market on platinum covers....."

Ren and Stimpy - great investment potential. Charles Barkley v. Godzilla - great kitsch value.

Real predictions?

New comics will go to subscription (on-line and off-line) only, and the price will drop.......

High Grade Charlton 60s and 70s with Ditko art will go up and up.....

Museums and universities will start buying up pedigrees and original art for research and exhibition value.....making comic books (i.e., sequential art) a true art history subject.....

One of the big, big dealers will step to the plate and take on CGC, with lots of innuendo, mud-slinging and price wars occurring.....I see lawsuits aplenty.....

Just call me Newbie Nostradamus....

Hey --I went to Pace too!

DAG NAB ITTT!!! I already HAVE one human spell-checker plaquing me! grin.gif

How much can a man take? How much Veal (free range) Scallopine in a nice Riesling (say a Maximum Gruenhauser Herrenberg or a Scharzhoffberger or a Piesporter Goldtropchen - all a nice Spatlese) sauce piqued with shallots, chives and capers can a human endure? How much finely diced fresh scallions can be used as a hint of spring-fresh garnish?

How much I ask you? HOW MUCH!!!! I am not a misspeller - I am a typo-being!

POV, speaking of brain bats......

Three-hole punches and comic books.......a match made in hell.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=70&item=2169850811&rd=1

I may have to bid on this book just because I never see it in a shade close to this good......

Basil Wolverton, the one artist that has had a psychological hold on me since I picked up my first Plop.....

I've got brain-bats in my belfry....