• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko Exhibit in Johnstown PA

15 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Timely said:

Not sure I’d go all the way out there to view photo copies, but glad to see Ditko’s getting his due!

IDK West if those are high resolution scans of never before seen Ditko OA maybe you and I could divy up our frequent flyer mileslol

9 minutes ago, grapeape said:

These pages at auction will obliterate sales records.

For sure! I find it interesting that both the newest and oldest Ditko Ditko pages are represented here. AF 15 pages are now owned by the government, and no ASM pgs from 1-4 have ever been on the open market.

I wonder how Ditko ended up getting those 2 stories? Was it random?

Many say that Ditko quit ASM in the middle of issue 38 and someone else inked a lot of those pages. Being the purest we know Ditko to be, I’m surprised he’d want it or keep it. I’d think that ASM 38 would just be an annoying reminder to Ditko of things gone bad.

Edited by Timely

8 minutes ago, Timely said:

For sure! I find it interesting that both the newest and oldest Ditko Ditko pages are represented here. AF 15 pages are now owned by the government, and no ASM pgs from 1-4 have ever been on the open market.

Many say that Ditko quit ASM in the middle of issue 38 and someone else inked a lot of those pages. Being the purest we know Ditko to be, I’m surprised he’d want it or keep it. I’d think that ASM 38 would just be an annoying reminder to Ditko of things gone bad.

Yeah but wouldn’t it be so Ditko to walk with his last work on his Spider-Man? Even if he was annoyed and felt the work tainted. 
I’m completely at peace with thinking I’ve figured Steve out a thousand times, realizing I truly don’t understand him at all.

A legend.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:49 PM, Timely said:

The last page of #3 is out there (the pin up) but having said that, I don't know that it was ever on the "open market".

Update: A friend of mine is considering attending the Ditko exhibit. He emailed the creative director to ask specifically about original art on display versus copies, and here is the pertinent part of the response: "It is believed that issue 5 is a "lost" issue though, meaning that no one knows if any of the original pages are still around. Our prints are copies of the original inks."

So when it comes to Marvel original art mysteries, I guess it's still about a bajillion and one to go...Mike

On 8/15/2021 at 2:40 PM, mxs7 said:

Update: A friend of mine is considering attending the Ditko exhibit. He emailed the creative director to ask specifically about original art on display versus copies, and here is the pertinent part of the response: "It is believed that issue 5 is a "lost" issue though, meaning that no one knows if any of the original pages are still around. Our prints are copies of the original inks."

So when it comes to Marvel original art mysteries, I guess it's still about a bajillion and one to go...Mike

B4D3C64F-C677-4941-BBA5-4EC71D557CBA.thumb.jpeg.2c46638d4537194aac2f3222e11a4e81.jpeg280DD350-B612-4999-A1FD-0CD48189F989.jpeg.fab0f5fd2f734d876726170219c17870.jpeg

When I was researching Ditko Marvel art, rumors were the complete Spider-Man 5 either ended up with the guy who had issues 1-4 or it was returned to Ditko. So the chances of it being in buried in some thrift shop just waiting to be discovered are practically zero.

On 8/20/2021 at 12:15 PM, diva_tsarina said:

Speaking of Ditko, has anyone picked up the Hermes Press book 'Ditko Shrugged' book? if so what'd you think of it?

I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. Lots of interesting Silver Age lore in general, along with the Ditko specific stuff.