• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FRANK MILLER DD ART

10 posts in this topic

The page is no longer available. The seller was offered "crazy money" and ended the auction early. He wouldn't give me a number but it must've been quite high as I made him a fair offer and he said that no reasonable offer would even close.

Just goes to show that anything really decent is very difficult to acquire...

Well, based on what he said to you, my guess is he got 7-8K for it. It can't be much more, because then it would be the same price as a Bullseye or Elektra battle page. I don't see that happening, but I could be wrong. Of course, everything of this caliber keeps going up, so maybe my estimation on Bullseye or Elektra battle pages is now too low. The last one that sold on ebay sold for about 7500, but that was almost two years ago now (hence my current estimation of 10K).

The bottom line is that ebay rarely has good art. Most nice art never makes it to ebay because it is sold privately. Many sellers will try to sell something nice privately, based on who he knows might be interested. Then, they will post it as a "taking offers" item on the comicart-L list. Finally, if there are no takers, they'll put it on ebay. So, most good items are already cherry-picked off.

Every once in a while, a choice item makes it to ebay for a variety or reasons. Maybe the seller wants to reach the largest audience, or wants to give everybody a chance, or it's just advertisement with an insanely high reserve. In these cases, oftentimes multiple buyers will email the seller with offers to end the auction early. This happens so much that it's commonplace. In general, if I really like something, I'll email the seller to say "Hi. I'm interested in this piece. If you're considering ending the auction and selling the piece early, please let me know as I'd like to then make a counteroffer. If not, then I'll be bidding towards the end of the auction with the intent of winning it. Good luck." In this manner, I'm not breaking any rules, but I keep myself in the running if the seller decides on his own to end the auction early for whatever reason.

So, if you ever see a piece of art on ebay that you desperately want, I'd suggest you do the same.

In these cases, oftentimes multiple buyers will email the seller with offers to end the auction early. This happens so much that it's commonplace. In general, if I really like something, I'll email the seller to say "Hi. I'm interested in this piece. If you're considering ending the auction and selling the piece early, please let me know as I'd like to then make a counteroffer. If not, then I'll be bidding towards the end of the auction with the intent of winning it. Good luck." In this manner, I'm not breaking any rules, but I keep myself in the running if the seller decides on his own to end the auction early for whatever reason.

893applaud-thumb.gif If only every ebayer had your ethical values and all around good guy-ness. thumbsup2.gif