• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's wrong with my Daredevil #1 ?

30 posts in this topic

But the Blacks are light everywhere. Just look at the "Fantastic Four" and "The Most Unusual Hero of All" text.

I believe JC is spot on here. It is the black plate causing the problem. It looks like there WAS no black plate. If you ever have seen a color-key (Yellow Magenta Cyan and Black on individual transparent overlays) and just laid down the Yellow, Magenta and Cyan, the effect would be quite similar to this. Even a small percentage of black lends a depth and quality to the other colors that is missing in this one.

Naturally, DD himself is a further testament to the lack of black ink.

But the Blacks are light everywhere. Just look at the "Fantastic Four" and "The Most Unusual Hero of All" text.

I believe JC is spot on here. It is the black plate causing the problem. It looks like there WAS no black plate. If you ever have seen a color-key (Yellow Magenta Cyan and Black on individual transparent overlays) and just laid down the Yellow, Magenta and Cyan, the effect would be quite similar to this. Even a small percentage of black lends a depth and quality to the other colors that is missing in this one.

dagnabbit POV.. Didnt you even read my post?? You know printing, there IS a black plate, but just not everywhere. Its light or missing in the middle areas. the issue # box is black and its fine. And theres black along the bottom. It fades out in the type in th elower right corner near Foggy and below the masthead.

dagnabbit POV.. Didnt you even read my post?? You know printing, there IS a black plate, but just not everywhere. Its light or missing in the middle areas. the issue # box is black and its fine. And theres black along the bottom. It fades out in the type in th elower right corner near Foggy and below the masthead.

Blame it on too much French wine. But the black is certainly missing or incredibly light overall, not just in the middle. Every area is missing black except for the upper area where the price slug/issue number etc is. The greens are minus black. The blues are minus black. The reds are minus black. The dark brownish hats on the villains are missing black. Hell, even the BLACK is minus black, like text in the green boxes at the right and the black likes in the DAREDEVIL logo itself. Blacks in Karen's hair is weal or missing, also adjacent the the stronger writing next to her. Of special interest are the areas immediately adjacent to black ink on the top (price, issue # etc). Those areas are also missing black, yet the black is strong in the nearby elements.

So in a more sober frame, either the black plate was burned minus a few flats containing the rest of the black information, or the ink was not distributing at the press. The adjacent areas of strong/no black make me tend towards an improperly burned black plate.

maybe. But an improperly burned plate would never get up to full strtength. Neccesating a scrapped print run, and ALL of the books printed would have been trashed and not mixed in with the rerun. So I think your other (uninked) theory is probably closer to what happened.

maybe. But an improperly burned plate would never get up to full strtength. Neccesating a scrapped print run, and ALL of the books printed would have been trashed and not mixed in with the rerun. So I think your other (uninked) theory is probably closer to what happened.

It really depends. One plate is burned (at least in the old days) from many flats. Pick up a flat, lay it on the registration pins, burn it. Remove it. Add another flat maybe with a screen in addition to the flat. Burn it. Etc. Another possibility is one of the flats was improperly cut, leaving much of the process black still hidden. Or that particular flat absent from the burning. 893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif893blahblah.gif

I think we both agree - regardless of how it got there a definite lack of black.

809009165o.jpgdd0001.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Erm . . . is the top right hand-side of the 9.4 DD # 1 trimmed??? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Its not necessarily trimmed even though the white to the right of the Comics code is so much less on the 9.4. First, the 4.5 copy is slightly more miswrapped than the 9.4. This accounts for 1/64th maybe of the difference. The rest is due to the different cuts of each book. Look in th elower left corners of each. the 4.5 copy is further rotated counterclockwise than the 9.4. You can see another guys face on the 4.5 copy as well as a different hood's shoe. Neither of which appear on the 9.4. Finally to prove the rotation difference, look in the lower rigth corner. The 9.4 has twice as much white to the right of the Foggy face box as the 4.5.

get the graders nots. Seems it was marked down in grae because of this effect. See how they described it!

Not to mention that it should have gotten a GLOD due to the printing defect. Remember those USM books with whacky/missing colors, and Steve stating that was the new policy? Then I see books like this and it makes no sense.

Personally, I wish one of the C's in CGC was for CONSISTENCY!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well,.....they COULD rename themselves CCC (Comics Consistency Corporation), ....as the "G" is no longer needed. thumbsup2.gif

They're consistent?

Someone better tell tth2 that the re-submit database is a waste of time.

get the graders nots. Seems it was marked down in grae because of this effect. See how they described it!

Not to mention that it should have gotten a GLOD due to the printing defect. Remember those USM books with whacky/missing colors, and Steve stating that was the new policy? Then I see books like this and it makes no sense.

Personally, I wish one of the C's in CGC was for CONSISTENCY!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well,.....they COULD rename themselves CCC (Comics Consistency Corporation), ....as the "G" is no longer needed. thumbsup2.gif

They're consistent?

Someone better tell tth2 that the re-submit database is a waste of time.

Not so much a statement that they were "consistent", as a statement that the "G" was no longer required.........what with all the "Hey!" and the "What the...?!?" that's been going on,...don't ya know?!? insane.gif