• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SHOWCASE #9 What a great deal if I had 12k sitting around

112 posts in this topic

Actually, what am I missing? It looks like a pretty solid 9.2 to me. If it were a 9.4, I'd call it a soft 9.4, but I've seen worse books than this in a 9.4 slab (take a look at the "9.4" Flash 105 on Heritage right now). I've also seen worse, as well as better, books in a 9.2 slab. The spine looks solid, the stress around the staples is not excessive, and the corners, although not sharp, are not badly rounded at all. If I were going to use a 9.2 to criticize CGC's grading, this wouldn't be it.

Agree with Tim. Looks like a very nice 9.2. Closer to "9.3" than "9.1".

Actually, what am I missing? It looks like a pretty solid 9.2 to me. If it were a 9.4, I'd call it a soft 9.4, but I've seen worse books than this in a 9.4 slab (take a look at the "9.4" Flash 105 on Heritage right now). I've also seen worse, as well as better, books in a 9.2 slab. The spine looks solid, the stress around the staples is not excessive, and the corners, although not sharp, are not badly rounded at all. If I were going to use a 9.2 to criticize CGC's grading, this wouldn't be it.

Agree with Tim. Looks like a very nice 9.2. Closer to "9.3" than "9.1".

I'd give it a 9.25 poke2.gif

hey, whats with youse guys. Im trying to chisel a few K off the price here!!! Seriously - - I hear what you are saying and it sure looks tight, but even factoring in the usual CGC tendencies, Ive seen so many near perfect looking 9.2s that the ones like this and the Hulk 1 where corners and other defects jump out at your eyes just look "not 9.2 worthy".

as for the Church 9.4s and 9.6s, I havent looked closely at too many since they are either the lesser titles Im not interested in, or DCs that are priced far more than I will pay, but, in general, they look like perfectly unread flat, sharp cornered tight copies with a flaw here or there. Usually a binding or manufacturing flaw at that. So yeaah, what else can you grade a book like that? Especilaly if this Showcase 4 is at 9.2?

Now Im sorry I asked the question, Mark! See why Dave never shows his Church Action 1? it would get discussed and dissed publicly. Who needs that?

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now.

Ahem, EXCUSE ME!!!! 893whatthe.gif

Tim, what are you smoking that is impacting your memory? makepoint.gif

Showcase #4 CGC 9.2

And only $125,000!!! Ok, for you forumites - $120,000. Tim, it is $126,000 for you. hi.gif

Mark, I kinda hate to say this, but your 9.2 really seems a bit of a gift grade with its soft corners and stuff. considering how DCs are usually harshly graded, this would be an 8.5 on a normal day Id think. Am I missing something in the scan?

I saw this book in person in San Diego. It is not overgraded. It looks better in person than in the scan. When I looked at it, it looked every bit a 9.2.

I don't think it's worth $125K (yet) given the existence of a 9.4 and a 9.6 in the census, but with a book like that in such a high grade, who is to say? Personally, I think the book is worth around $75K to $80K right now, but DCs are not exactly my area of expertise.

Oh, and Tim, here you go -- save it this time.

calvin5.jpg

The book is very pretty, but there are at least 15 of the first 2 dozen issues that I'd rather have a HG copy of.

This conversation is getting ridiculous. Who wouldn`t prefer Showcase 4 or 22 over this issue? But none of those other issues are available in this grade right now. If you don`t want to buy the Showcase 9, then don`t buy the Showcase 9. But why trash it? And no, I`m not the owner, nor do I know who the owner is, so I don`t have any skin in this game.

Is this the new "sensitive" Tim?

The discussion doesn't appear to me to be out of hand, nor the topic unsuitable or terribly unique for the boards. If you were to line up a similarly nice 9.2 copy of the first 20 issues of Showcase and priced them similar to this #9, wouldn't most have them already be purchased by now?

I don't see any reason to stifle discussion as it only serves to pertuate an over-reliance on OPG rather than empirical evidence or the consensus of other knowledgeable collectors/dealers.

The discussion doesn't appear to me to be out of hand, nor the topic unsuitable or terribly unique for the boards. If you were to line up a similarly nice 9.2 copy of the first 20 issues of Showcase and priced them similar to this #9, wouldn't most have them already be purchased by now?

Actually, I don't think so. Of the first 20 issues, probably only the Flash appearances would fly off the shelf at $12,000 in 9.2. Would the first appearance of Challengers or Adam Strange in 9.2 be more valuable than #9 in 9.2? I'm not so sure.

Actually, I don't think so. Of the first 20 issues, probably only the Flash appearances would fly off the shelf at $12,000 in 9.2. Would the first appearance of Challengers or Adam Strange in 9.2 be more valuable than #9 in 9.2? I'm not so sure.

When I said priced "similar" to the Showcase #9, I meant relative to the OPG for a particular issue. So if the #9 was 120% of guide (sorry but I don't have a guide so I can't do the math to provide the precise number) and the other issues were in 9.2 at 120% of guide, how many of them would still be around?

Does that change your response?

When I said priced "similar" to the Showcase #9, I meant relative to the OPG for a particular issue. So if the #9 was 120% of guide (sorry but I don't have a guide so I can't do the math to provide the precise number) and the other issues were in 9.2 at 120% of guide, how many of them would still be around?

Sure, that's a different question. I actually am not sure if Showcase 1-3 would trade at much of a premium to their 9.2 price, but just don't know because I don't know of any deals or any collectors who passionately want those issues. Interestingly, I think the one issue in the first 20 issues of Showcase that is least likely to get much of a premium over the 9.2 Guide price is #4, which as I've stated elsewhere is possibly the most fully valued early SA DC in the Guide.

Sure, that's a different question. I actually am not sure if Showcase 1-3 would trade at much of a premium to their 9.2 price, but just don't know because I don't know of any deals or any collectors who passionately want those issues. Interestingly, I think the one issue in the first 20 issues of Showcase that is least likely to get much of a premium over the 9.2 Guide price is #4, which as I've stated elsewhere is possibly the most fully valued early SA DC in the Guide.

Feel free to answer the question regarding books which books (besides 1-4) would be gone. And if some has a #3 in 9.2 as nice as the Show #9, I'd be happy to pay 1.2 of last years guide (I might pay 1.2 of this year's guide but I don't know what that price is).

And there's no need to "trash" the #4. There might be someone here trying to sell a copy. poke2.gif

Feel free to answer the question regarding books which books (besides 1-4) would be gone. And if some has a #3 in 9.2 as nice as the Show #9, I'd be happy to pay 1.2 of last years guide (I might pay 1.2 of this year's guide but I don't know what that price is).

I think a 20% premium over the Guide 9.2 price is actually a pretty low threshold, as early 9.2 DC SA slabbed books will often realize a higher premium, given their extreme scarcity. Being a superhero-centric collector, I could really only comment on the super-hero issues. Without a doubt Showcase #6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 17 and 20 would go in a heartbeat at a mere 20% premium (if for no other reason than that I'd be buying them at this price, even if they're just dirty 9.2s), and most likely 18 and 19 too.

And there's no need to "trash" the #4. There might be someone here trying to sell a copy. poke2.gif

I was the first person here defending the #4. But it is very fully valued in the Guide, thanks to Bob Overstreet and others maintaining the drumbeat for the book over the years. Its value dwarves the next most expensive DC SA book. It's historically significant, but so long as it's a DC 99% of Marvel zombies won't cast it a second glance.

I think a 20% premium over the Guide 9.2 price is actually a pretty low threshold, as early 9.2 DC SA slabbed books will often realize a higher premium, given their extreme scarcity. Being a superhero-centric collector, I could really only comment on the super-hero issues. Without a doubt Showcase #6, 7, 8, 13, 14, 17 and 20 would go in a heartbeat at a mere 20% premium (if for no other reason than that I'd be buying them at this price, even if they're just dirty 9.2s), and most likely 18 and 19 too.

I was the first person here defending the #4. But it is very fully valued in the Guide, thanks to Bob Overstreet and others maintaining the drumbeat for the book over the years. Its value dwarves the next most expensive DC SA book. It's historically significant, but so long as it's a DC 99% of Marvel zombies won't cast it a second glance.

I hope you defend better in court than just did for the innocent Showcase 4. poke2.gif

Side note: that #9 looks like a really pretty copy -- very impressive.

I hope you defend better in court than just did for the innocent Showcase 4. poke2.gif

My defending skills improve dramatically when someone's paying me! I was just doing some pro bono for Zaid, and you know the old expression: "You get what you pay for."

I still wish I had the 12K for this copy.. I guess I love those early SA DC's cloud9.gif Ohhhh Lois Lane, where did we go wrong flowerred.gif

Are you saying that if you had 12k to spend on comics right now, this is what you would spend it on? poke2.gif

I still wish I had the 12K for this copy.. I guess I love those early SA DC's cloud9.gif Ohhhh Lois Lane, where did we go wrong flowerred.gif

Are you saying that if you had 12k to spend on comics right now, this is what you would spend it on? poke2.gif

Well.... I own pretty much all the SA keys in high grade, but I don't have this one and 12K would be a fair price for it. So yes, if I did have 12k sitting around, I would buy it. For some reason, I've always liked that issue and I already own a VF+ copy of Lois Lane #1, but no Showcase #9 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I picked it up at a local comic convention in the great white north (Canada) I was really surprised to see such a book... I also picked up some early HOM, Jimmy Olsen, Superboy and Superman's all from the same time period.. All in high grade cloud9.gif I've already sent the Lois Lane #1 to be CGC'ed last week. It should be at least VF- or VF 893crossfingers-thumb.gif, but a VF+ would be acclaim.gif I will post the pic once I get it back.. Just hope there's no restoration.. I didn't see any and they were all from an original owner collection 1955 to 1963. Just a few Marvel's, but of course they were the first to sell. The whole collection was sold at the convention.. I was somewhat late in arriving to the table.. But I grabbed all the early DC's in time. The seller sold out in about 2 hours of arriving.

Well.... I own pretty much all the SA keys in high grade, but I don't have this one and 12K would be a fair price for it. So yes, if I did have 12k sitting around, I would buy it. For some reason, I've always liked that issue and I already own a VF+ copy of Lois Lane #1, but no Showcase #9 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now I know why I don't drive a BMW. 27_laughing.gif