• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bargaining Techniques

61 posts in this topic

I think 15 to 20% is a reasonable cut considering the stuff you want to buy. I think any reasonable dealer would give such a discount on stuff vf or under especially for books that are not the hottest market segment. I would have some cash in hand and ask if he could give a 20% cut if you bought several things- i would ask first before having him pull a bunch of stuff out. he may counter offer to 15% and that is still fair. Some folks like to do their bargaining the last day of the show or the last hour. I like to do it right off the bat - most dealers like to make some start up money - kind of to cover the expenses and if you are talking about spending a few hundred and ask for a reasonable discount, you should get a good deal. On those 3 day shows I usually go on Fridays to avoid all the kiddies and giant crowds. But I am sure doing the opposite can work too - "you really don't want to lug all that around do you, make some last minute $$$ etc." Good luck!

While hammer's method is indeed somewhat, uh, unique, I would shoot for buying more books from fewer dealers. It's easier to try and strike a deal on a multi-book purchase than a single book, although I'm not too sure how many dealers are going to have a nice, big selection of pre-code books on your want list.

One approach is to look at one book, ask the dealer if he can "...do any better on the price...", followed up with a look of skepticism at his answer, and then a "What if I were to pick up several books?". I've found that most dealers are more flexible on multi-book deals...

It might be easier to tell you how not to bargain.

1- pull 40 books from 30 boxes,thrust them at me and say Whats the best price youll give me.

2-Tell me my books are overpriced but you might be interested if I could give you a big discount.

3-Say that another dealer has the same book,in better condition,for less money.

4-Remind me that the show is half empty and I'm taking a real beating because it's the first nice day of spring and everyone is at the beach, ect, ect.

What will get you a deal is spending a little money,not being a pain in the [!@#%^&^], and establishing yourself as someone who is not going to waste my time. Because I am selling comics does not mean I wish to spend all day discussing if the 60s Avengers could kick the 80s JLAs [!@#%^&^]. You very well may know more than me about your favorite hero,writer,artist, but I am the one selling and you are either buying or looking.

Well it just goes to show. ANYTHING said by ANYONE can be taken exception to. I've been married twice before so I can definitely relate to what you say about momentarily "not being able to think straight" and having to reboot the old medulla-oblongata. It's good that you've overcome and learned to deal with your seizures. Now, you should work on overcoming your over-sensitivity and taking offense when someone mentions the word seizure, or talks of one. Especially when completely unrelated to you in any way whatsoever.

I must say, hammer.....I take offense at your use of the word "over-sensitive". I, myself, am over-sensitive and it bothers me when you casually throw this word around. Saying that word in front of me is as bad as if you had come to my house and knocked on the door 3 times instead of the 4 times that I require. It's just rude and inconsiderate. Seeing a person drink from the wrong side of a glass is another thing that bothers me greatly. I wish people would take more time and be more considerate. You, sir......are a cad.mad.gif (my apologies to any other "cads" out there that may take offense to my statement).

Careful now...Clobberin' used to CADdy on weekends to help pay college expenses, and you never know who happens to drive a CADillac on these forums and may take umbrage with your cavalier attitude in bandying about that word you insensitive son of a gun! (uh-oh..I said "gun"..that's sure to drive SOMEONE stark raving nuts....let's try THIS one too, from the old Rabbit and Costello TV show: "Susquehanna Hat Company"!!!!!).

Did you mention you had a couple of ex-wives? Did you say divorce? That causes me great pain as my wife has threatened to go there if I keep throwing our $$$ away on these stupid comics! And for the record - I am not golf course material. although a lot of folks find swimming laps or weight lifting tedious, I can think of nothing more boring than walking around whackin a ball - maybe fishing! Hope I did not offend anyone. really.

I just take offense at your use of seizures.. you used it as the butt of your joke.. which tells me you do not have the compassion or understanding of someone has had seizures or else you would never use it in that matter. I am not overly sensitive.. I just hate when people make STUPID jokes smile.gif.

I just hate when people make STUPID jokes

::looks for a nearby corner to hide in::

Uh oh......hammer is sort of stupid crazy.gif ......so I'm sure he's going to take offense to that just to make a point.

::hides in corner with Pov......then asks Pov to please not touch me there::

you just never know where one of these threads might end up! But one thing is for sure - a fight about just about any inane side issue can and will occur. Now if we could only get MajorK and Man of Steel over here, we would have a party!

I can tell that you have offended my pet coelecanthe "Feisty" with your heartless "fishing" reference. He's off in an isolated corner of his fishtank, wearing his smoking jacket, with pipe in flipper, the back of his other flipper pressed against his little forehead, effecting his best Lionel Barrymore "woe is me" pose!! If the little guy works himself up into a seizure (like the last time he was offended so callously), I'll say nothing. I wouldn't want to offend anyone! laugh.gif

I can tell that you have offended my pet coelecanthe "Feisty" with your heartless "fishing" reference.

If you have a pet coelacanth, then that is one fishtank viewing that is well worth making a trip to Sunny LA grin.gif

I know a few other people that would be indebted to have an opportunity for a viewing grin.gifhttp://www.dinofish.com/

He's off in an isolated corner of his fishtank, wearing his smoking jacket, with pipe in flipper, the back of his other flipper pressed against his little forehead, effecting his best Lionel Barrymore "woe is me" pose!!

Give him some CeloSillyFlakes as a treat. They'll be appreciated!

Pov

hmmm - BEFORE you do take three tablespoonfulls of the CS Flakes and add 1/4 teaspoon each fresh Rhyniophyta and Zosterophyllophyta. Then mix in just one pinch of Lepidodendron (for unique bouquet and elusive flavor - dried is preferred here).

I guarantee that poor Barrymore Feisty will soon be doing a Harold Lloyd! grin.gif

That used to be my policy, but I've had a couple of experiences that changed my mind. FD might remember a certain collector at the Tyson's show who began settign up. He came out of nowhere and had gorgeous DC books from the early -mid 60's in solid NM/NM+ condition. He was somewhat obsessive and hand-picked the best copies of the newstand, then wrapped them in plastic from the dry cleaners and put them in his closet. Nothing was priced, even after 4 or 5 shows. He would pull out the guide and give you straight Overstreet. I was lucky enough to pick up a stack of perfect Brave and Bolds, Batman Annuals 2-4 and a buch of others. It was painful watching the dealers, under the guise of helping him, pillage his stuff, though, because you knew they were re-selling it for mulitples. It killed me that I was still in grad school at the time, otherwise I would have spent every cent I had on his stuff.

I've had similar experience since then, but of course have run into others with unpriced books that really used the lack of prices as bargaining leverage. Like someone said above, never give a price first--a tactic these bozos take to extremes.

That used to be my policy, but I've had a couple of experiences that changed my mind. FD might remember a certain collector at the Tyson's show who began settign up
How long ago was this? I'm thinking you mean the older guy who was about 5' 7", slumped posture, glasses, looks a bit like Larry Brown (coach of the Philadelphia 76ers), who had his books in really old polybags and corrugated cardboard boxes. I saw him in 2001/2002 at the Tyson's show a few times and bought some INCREDIBLE FFs from him, but not as many as I wish I would've; most were picked clean by the time I found him.