• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suggestion Box for Board Upgrades....
2 2

204 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 6:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

At one point society deemed that calling African Americans the 'n' word was acceptable.  Nowadays, it is nowhere near acceptable and that is a good thing.

ever hear any rap songs?

On 7/26/2021 at 9:29 PM, kav said:

ever hear any rap songs?

Big difference. 

Very big difference.

And even within rap culture there is a push for that word to be abandoned.   There is a difference between taking ownership of a word and allowing it to be used in a derogatory manner against you. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, Buzzetta said:

Big difference. 

Very big difference.

And even within rap culture there is a push for that word to be abandoned.   There is a difference between taking ownership of a word and allowing it to be used in a derogatory manner against you. 

who elected you to decide there's a difference?

On 7/26/2021 at 9:18 PM, Buzzetta said:

No, but I am tired of hearing the argument.

There are many terms and words that are currently almost universally regarded as 'wrong'.  But at the time that people started to question their usage and place in the vernacular there was massive pushback that the offended were being too sensitive.

I think one of the more recent and best examples is the use of the 'r' word which is considered a derogatory term toward those with disabilities.   

So maybe there are other things that require further exploration and should be expunged. 

At one point society deemed that calling African Americans the 'n' word was acceptable.  Nowadays, it is nowhere near acceptable and that is a good thing.

So maybe some people are offended by certain things, because they actually are offended and have reason to be. 

As a skater, scooters at the skatepark offend me.   And yet, there they are.

Are ya woke brah?

The moniker "bro" has always irked me, and quite frankly I hate being referred to in such a way. It doesn't offend me, I just don't like it

Big difference 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Are ya woke brah?

The moniker "bro" has always irked me, and quite frankly I hate being referred to in such a way. It doesn't offend me, I just don't like it

Big difference 

I’m sorry.  But you’re not allowed to not like things anymore. 

My opinions are worth just as much as your facts.

More even, because I can coerce others to my way of thinking through harassment, bullying and media

On 7/26/2021 at 9:33 PM, kav said:

who elected you to decide there's a difference?

Let the two sides battle it out.  The world is changing and moving forward.  People of a certain mindset that these changes are frivolous and push back also tend to believe that they are being marginalized by society.

You are damn right you are being marginalized.   Time to have some self reflection as to why it is so important to you to retain the words you choose, actions you take and belief system you engage in. 

(shrug)

I would say in before the lock...but I've already posted so:popcorn:

On 7/26/2021 at 7:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

Let the two sides battle it out.  The world is changing and moving forward.  People of a certain mindset that these changes are frivolous and push back also tend to believe that they are being marginalized by society.

You are damn right you are being marginalized.   Time to have some self reflection as to why it is so important to you to retain the words you choose, actions you take and belief system you engage in. 

(shrug)

If only woke cancel culture embraced these things 

On 7/26/2021 at 9:50 PM, Dr. Dank said:

If only woke cancel culture embraced these things 

Another pathetic buzzword from those that cling. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 7/26/2021 at 6:48 PM, Buzzetta said:

(shrug)

You can only be marginalized if you care what others think.  I do not.  I am not a victim.

On 7/26/2021 at 9:52 PM, kav said:

You can only be marginalized if you care what others think.  I do not.  I am not a victim.

You just play one?   :baiting:

I am going to stop.  I just arranged something and am bringing a toy collection to market tomorrow afternoon.  I convinced the owner who is already a board member to list them here. Last thing I want to do for the board member is get a strike and a vacation. 

Take "Karen" for example.

We all know what it really means.

All that's been done is changed the word, the connotations haven't changed at all.

Facebook doesn't allow the word "C", but Karen is fine. Why is that, you think?