• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a real Joe Kubert sketch?

7 posts in this topic

Came across what looks like a fun sketch Joe probably did teaching a class. It was inexpensive so I thought it would be a cool pick up. Does it look like the real deal?? Seller said he picked up several from an auction house in NJ. Pretty large around 36”

Thoughts

1CE7DCF2-EEDA-4EEE-9D88-3162279F3C9E.thumb.jpeg.4f936217770cba96e2d478c92cd43020.jpeg8C9B60B0-7FF1-46D9-81D6-5906646A9596.jpeg.f4f3aa17e5831a639dfd94f7591bffee.jpeg

Edited by Blastaar

It is what I thought too, but since I found just a few minutes ago the original ad for the lot of sketches, I'm a bit confused now seeing the others sketches...

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/three-marker-drawings-on-paper-joe-kubert-80-c-3c141bd8dd

I'm not sure we are necessarily in presence of fakes here (there are elements that point to JK style - and the ad mentions autographed programs from the JK school - but they could be forgeries), only very crude drawings which seem to have been done in ten seconds by him for students in practice sessions, in order to teach them something or show them something (like an idea) very quickly.

It would be interresting to know, from old students of the school, if JK usually did that kind of sketches in small group practice sessions. I'm more familiar with more refine teaching material from his hand, but...

Edited by Ecclectica

I think the art looks like it could've been drawn by Kubert.  If it was Sgt Rock, well, it'd more obvious.  If we had a drawing of a perfect circle, who's to say if it was drawn by Kubert or Frazetta ?

When you're signing larger than normal, it's reasonable for the signature to appear different.  My signature on a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 would look different than if I was signing large on a piece of 18 x 24.

Edited by Will_K